Portal Update

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
Wow sounds like you may know some of the players or maybe one of the

Wow sounds like you may know some of the players or maybe one of the players.
Maybe a parent/Mom of a player recently departed. Either way, the additional perspective is interesting even if a tad emotionally charged. And yes, the jury is definitely still out on Taylor - performance was bad once again this season.

Killerbees

Jolly Good Fellow
There does tend to be an assumption these are all ugly divorces & some sign Ga Tech baseball is the problem.

This is the new age folks. Free Agency. & it works both ways. Get use to it. Players who are great (or think they are) will seek greener pastures. Ga Tech baseball can (and has) taken advantage of that. As for the "kids" leaving. Only hoping the best for them.
Good call out Danny…I mean Fred 😉.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
There does tend to be an assumption these are all ugly divorces & some sign Ga Tech baseball is the problem.

This is the new age folks. Free Agency. & it works both ways. Get use to it. Players who are great (or think they are) will seek greener pastures. Ga Tech baseball can (and has) taken advantage of that. As for the "kids" leaving. Only hoping the best for them.
Isn't there also new NCAA roster reductions this year now that the extra Covid year has expired? Much of the movement may be due to the new lower roster numbers and Hall needing to make room for the incoming freshman class. I'm sure some of the moves are players seeking greener pastures but a lot of it might be players being told they will have to fight it out for a roster spot. This should make those of you calling for a greater commitment to our recruiting classes much happier.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
When it comes to the portal, I expect quality programs to attract top motch players…starters and #1 pitchers… from smaller schools. LSU just got the #1 pitcher from Nicholls in Louisiana… a similar relationship as GT and say Ga Southern. Nicholls has made the tourney each of the last 2 years.
We aren’t getting transfers like that. We’re getting guys who really haven’t been stars at lower levels, but are backups instead.
I guess we simply aren’t an elite program any, no matter whether we have Danny Hall or not.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
When it comes to the portal, I expect quality programs to attract top motch players…starters and #1 pitchers… from smaller schools. LSU just got the #1 pitcher from Nicholls in Louisiana… a similar relationship as GT and say Ga Southern. Nicholls has made the tourney each of the last 2 years.
We aren’t getting transfers like that. We’re getting guys who really haven’t been stars at lower levels, but are backups instead.
I guess we simply aren’t an elite program any, no matter whether we have Danny Hall or not.
Point taken, and I don't disagree with it, but I do need to jump to the defense of our brethren in Statesboro. Nicholls was the #2 team in the Southland Conference, a one bid league ranked #14 by RPI. They only made the NCAA tourney because they won the conference tourney. Georgia Southern plays in the much tougher Sun Belt, which is #5 by RPI and was (I believe) a 4-bid league.

To your main point, I wonder how much success at the top of the transfer portal is simply a matter of economics. I don't know the answer, but I think we do know for certain that LSU pays well.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
To your main point, I wonder how much success at the top of the transfer portal is simply a matter of economics. I don't know the answer, but I think we do know for certain that LSU pays well.
Great point, and I agree it would help a lot to understand this. It seems GT has gotten the funding in football and basketball. No doubt LSU has plenty of money for their baseball program (which draws very well attendance-wise).
They also got Paul Skenes to transfer in from Air Force a couple of years go. Talk about your impact transfers! (He became #1 overall draft pick 2 years later and is burning up MLB with Pirates these days.)
It may be too much to hope for getting those type of transfers, but….i see what other teams are doing.

Shanna

Georgia Tech Fan
Are we just taking all of Southern’s castoffs?

Wow sounds like you may know some of the players or maybe one of the players.
I know many of the parents of the players that have entered the portal. Do some research and look at the pitchers leaving. If they didn't graduate, they are hitting the portal. I work with advisors so I am aware of what is going on with coaches/players/teams scouting. Pitchers leaving: Busse, Finanteri, Diamont, Gaspard, Smith, Byers, Vaughan. The Friday night starter who has been at Tech 3 years LEFT. That should tell you all you need to know. GT has more kids in the portal than any other ACC program. Hill and McGuire will be drafted and leave as well. This leaves McKee as the top returning pitcher. As for Taylor - players will tell you he has changed from his time at GSU. Ask around. Do some research.
Certainly sounds like someone with an axe to grind. Brand new poster so it could also be an existing poster with a new profile with an axe to grind. Maybe it's our ex pitching coach? With the name Shanna it sounds like a female, maybe a girlfriend at Tech who is upset her boyfriend has to transfer somewhere else? Who knows, but I will say this in Taylor's defense. He has had 2 or 3 pitchers that played under him at GA State transfer to Tech. Why would they do that if he is the tyrant described above. Also, I'm sure the Braves and Coach Hall would have spoken to players and coaches who know him before they hired him and I doubt what is described above would make him a desirable hire.
lol, no axe. Just don't like seeing young kids being taken advantage of and then used and spit out.

Shanna

Georgia Tech Fan
Kids want to play for GT, the issue is coaching staff. I'm sorry, but it's true. Players talk. Players tell recruits the truth about what it's really like behind closed doors. Why do you think GT leads in players entering the portal this year....including the Friday night starter? If it wasn't that bad, don't you think he would finish his senior year at GT?

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Great point, and I agree it would help a lot to understand this. It seems GT has gotten the funding in football and basketball. No doubt LSU has plenty of money for their baseball program (which draws very well attendance-wise).
They also got Paul Skenes to transfer in from Air Force a couple of years go. Talk about your impact transfers! (He became #1 overall draft pick 2 years later and is burning up MLB with Pirates these days.)
It may be too much to hope for getting those type of transfers, but….i see what other teams are doing.
Just as a point of discussion, mainly just highlighting your point about top level programs pulling the best from the lower level schools:

Have you looked at UGa's list of incoming transfers? Right now they have 19 players coming in, including Alabama's leader in saves from this past season, two of Georgia State's top hitters based on OPS, UNC-Asheville's CF and top hitter, Wofford's catcher and one of their top hitters, Florida Atlantic's 2B and top hitter by OPS, UT-Arlington's 2B and RBI leader, Air Force's 2nd best hitter.

Shanna

Georgia Tech Fan
If you can't post disgruntling grudges here... we're all doomed.
I did consider that, especially considering his Juco move. He did seem to be coming along nicely and would have played a major role next year.
Had nothing to do with his academics. I can assure you of that. Ask around as to why he "left" - you will be shocked to hear the answer. Yes, he had every intention of being in a starting role next year. Unfortunately GT did not agree.

Buzz_404

Jolly Good Fellow
Had nothing to do with his academics. I can assure you of that. Ask around as to why he "left" - you will be shocked to hear the answer. Yes, he had every intention of being in a starting role next year. Unfortunately GT did not agree.
Not true, it was all about the money. Going to school overseas is expensive, especially at Tech.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
OK Shanna, I'm gonna take your advice and "ask around". I'll start by asking you...why is Kovala leaving?

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Kids want to play for GT, the issue is coaching staff. I'm sorry, but it's true. Players talk. Players tell recruits the truth about what it's really like behind closed doors. Why do you think GT leads in players entering the portal this year....including the Friday night starter? If it wasn't that bad, don't you think he would finish his senior year at GT?
With all due respect Tech has a top 10 class for the next three years as of right now. I do not like us getting players from the portal and would rather us develop OUR guys so what goes on when they get there can be up for discussion.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
It sounds like you are saying he left because they didn't promise him he was going to be a starter. If that's the case, then I'm not that sorry he left. Starting positions have to be earned, not given. If I was a coach and a kid came to me and said he wanted to be a starter I would say good then show me what you got this off season. I certainly wouldn't promise him that he would be a starter just because he asked. I'm sure virtually every pitcher on the roster wants to be a starter.

Killerbees

Jolly Good Fellow
#TeamShanna is not wrong on some of those comments. I know of one transfer that left that had several calls from former GT players telling him to leave sooner than later. I have been very clear about Hall needing to retire after Colin graduated, but Ramsey is bringing this program down too. How many of his recruits are still at GT?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
It sounds like you are saying he left because they didn't promise him he was going to be a starter. If that's the case, then I'm not that sorry he left. Starting positions have to be earned, not given. If I was a coach and a kid came to me and said he wanted to be a starter I would say good then show me what you got this off season. I certainly wouldn't promise him that he would be a starter just because he asked. I'm sure virtually every pitcher on the roster wants to be a starter.
Do people (more importantly... recruits) actually believe coaches will promise playing time or starting spots to HS recruits? That notions fails all logical tests.

Killerbees

Jolly Good Fellow
I have personally sat in a room where it was said. I have personally sat in a room and heard we are not paying you this much money to ride the pine. I have far too many baseball connections from East to West and yes, players have been told they will start. While most of those players have jobs or are playing pro now, I still know a handful in college and it still happens. Believe what you want but it happens, and at GT.