[Poll] Out of pure curiosity - Did you attend Georgia Tech?

Did you attend Georgia Tech

• Total voters

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow
Morning all..!

Did not choose Tech for study, but grew up as a Tech fan from childhood.
Dad, Grandfather, and two Uncles did choose Tech.
I guess I'm a "sidewalk" fan, but it doesn't feel like I "chose" to be a fan, I just "am" a fan for life.

I do recognize that many Tech graduates do not create an optimal welcoming environment for consumers (fans) of our Sports products, but I still
consider Tech graduates as "preferred hires" when making employment decisions.

Throughout my career, all things being equal, I have chosen the Tech men and women to add to the team. I find them to be dependable, creative problem solvers, and over delivering contributors to our organizations. Contrary to popular belief, most Tech Alums can, and do, get along well with others and present a well balanced and appealing personality.

To my "sidewalk" pals, love you the most... without you/us the sports business side of things could not exist.

Onward mighty Jackets!

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
Not an alum, not a pure "sidewalk" fan either -- I'm an "extended family" fan. My father went to Tech one year before heading on to Annapolis. My mother grew up on Techwood Drive from the '20s to '40s, about a block or so from O'Keefe when it was very much still a junior high school. (And my mother worked on The Hill and in the Chem dept for about eight years, mid-40s to early '50s.) A long-gone cousin came to Atlanta from rural Hart County, and ended up working at Tech from the 20s to early 60s, much of it in the registrar's office. An uncle barely, and I do mean barely, graduated from Tech, going there on the G.I. bill after a delightful island-hopping Pacific tour with the Marines in WW2.

Not being a math/science guy, and coming from the comfortable confines of a small private high school, I had no inclination nor business considering Tech, so I didn't -- a small liberal arts college in Florida is where I graduated, later followed by a law degree from Georgia State when it was getting off the ground in the '80s. Frankly, while a mild fan of Tech through my 30s, it really wasn't until the past 15-20 years I kind of shifted into becoming a more hardcore fan.

(Oh: My mother, now 94 and quite feeble, still misses no Tech football or basketball game on TV. The last Tech football game she attended in person was a good one; we went down to Tampa for the ACC title game in 2009.)

LibertyTurns

Banned
M-Train by choice, not necessity !!!
Certainly not the old days when it was EE, IE, IM, I’m out. I ran into the a co-worker & her daughter in Atlanta airport coming home from Vag game. Daughter goes to a relatively prestigious private school, ranked in Top 10, 1500ish SAT & they were returning from another round of campus visits, this time to Awbarn as her supreme back up plan because that’s where Daddy went. She mentioned she wanted to major in business & I recommended GT. Answer was “no way we’re getting into that program” followed by some comments about whether or not she’d be able to hack it. She’s been to Dook, UNC, Wake, Vag, Vandy, Michigan & Northwestern. Scheller Business School is not what it used to be.

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow
Longtime lurker, first time poster just to put in another perspective on the GT athletics/academics topic. Did my undergrad in EE at GT in 00s and then came back for my masters in the 10s. To paint in very broad strokes, in my social circles while attending school, I hung out with fellow students in my classes, fellow residence hall folks, fellow researchers, fellow gamers, and fellow asians. Of those circles, only people from the residence hall and a few from the gaming community even had college football on their day-to-day radar in the Fall (much less other seasons of the year). Majority I associated with only knew that college football existed and attended a few games for the experience/novelty and free GT T-shirt. It might be presumptuous for me to say, but I believe the college football enthusiasts posting on this forum are a tiny minority of the GT alum.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I have to be honest with you people and say that I've read some really elitist comments from both GT alum/non-alum posters on this thread. At the end of the day, we are all Georgia Tech fans and if we can't come together and celebrate that fact then I just don't know what to think. And BTW UGag got beat last night! That in and of itself should unite GT fans.

AlphaBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
I got in and I actually got out started in AE when there about 16 people in the class and if you were "encouraged" to drop a core class, you were now a year behind schedule as the sequence AE classes were offered once a year. Changed to ME and got out. My dad was a grad and we went to a few games as a kid, but we moved out of the ATL when I was 9 and I don't come back until I came to GT as a freshman. I went to the games and lived in the same dorms with the players on east campus; next door to Ivey Stokes.

I think that the non-alum fans are the best. They make the choice to take the path less traveled and consciously commit their emotions to this place. I like to think it's because of our reputation for doing things the "right" way, but it doesn't really matter why. We know it isn't because we are Alabama level winners and they know we will struggle with uGa and Clem's boys every year, yet they choose us anyway. I worked with a guy who was a hardcore GT fan and had been his entire life. He didn't go there and was a superintendent level guy in the construction business. He wore his GT hat no matter what and proudly supported the Jackets, even afte 51-7.

"Sidewalk" fans are our fans; nothing more and nothing less. They are the best fans.

jojatekfan

Banned
You are either a fan or you're not. Doesn't matter if you attended or got out. I did get out, barely... But is was my non-attending Dad who was a fan, worked for the AA on weekends and took me to games as a kid that got me started. Listening to away games on Saturdays with him and Al Ciraldo. Used to sit on the sidelines in front of the cheerleaders when I was 6. As long as I can remember, we loved Tech and HATED that farm school in Athens. BSIM '87