Plug and Play Offense...

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
OL is not a skill position and the discussion point is with all things being equal on the OLine could I drop in an Aback, Bback, WR(the only position my opinion is wavering on) and expect to see the comparable production. My answer remain yes. We're accustomed to seeing our Abacks making at least 1 guys miss now that guy has to make 3 guy miss bc of missed assignments by the OL on a consistent basis. Perimeter blocking has been inconsistent but no where near to the extreme as the OL has been.
So somebody, anybody, explain the O line demise with so much experience returning. I'm serious. What in the world happened to render it a liability? As a friend might say, it just don't make no sense no how.

Unk T

Georgia Tech Fan
I would agree with that. Matching an NCAA record-setting offense with the same players would have been a challenge by itself.

I do think that Snoddy + Searcy > Lynch + Willis. Same goes for Leggett + Quaide (redshirt + early enrollee) > someone who had to move back to BB as a result and a transfer we took because of injuries.

Who knows what would have happened with consistent practice and PT for our starters.

I definitely cringed when this happened. There's no question you want your best players on the team (and healthy).

I was comparing stats from last year and this year and with 2 games left to play, Lynch has more all purpose yards than any A-Back had all of last year.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
One question: If the Tackles would've block the MLB 50% more than they currently have or was able competently do a 50 pass protection (Protection for a straight drop back) you mean to tell me we would still have the same results? I say HELL NO. Probably 7-3 or 8-2 right now if so

Even opinions on JT has changed or been tempered tremendously because of the horrendous play of the OL.
So why are they so much worse this year? Is it all due to the absence of Shaq?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
OL is not a skill position and the discussion point is with all things being equal on the OLine could I drop in an Aback, Bback, WR(the only position my opinion is wavering on) and expect to see the comparable production. My answer remain yes. We're accustomed to seeing our Abacks making at least 1 guys miss now that guy has to make 3 guy miss bc of missed assignments by the OL on a consistent basis. Perimeter blocking has been inconsistent but no where near to the extreme as the OL has been.
The Bbacks are part of the "skill" groups, too, and their play is waaaaaaaaaaaay down from last year. Blocking, running, ball security, you name it. Also, it's not just the Aback blocking incompetence that kills plays, it's their going the wrong way, it's their SLOW feet, it's their hesitance, it's their poor timing and spacing.

Wr's haven't kept pace either. So that's 3 "skill" groups with considerable fall off from the previous year. What's the common denominator. NOOBS. The math is easy.

All that gets better with time and repetition. It did with last year's group. Those guys certainly weren't lighting it up the year before last. Most of those guys were on the bench or saw limited playing time two years ago. (Smelter is an exception, but even he got much better his second year in the system.)

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
I think our coach watching film can tell the difference.

He has been critical of them all really not just the OL. No excuse for not knowing who to block but any hesitation or a half step the wrong way by our skill players and BOOM....the play is dead.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
So why are they so much worse this year? Is it all due to the absence of Shaq?

Coach Sewak (I think it was him? can't remember) told Brandon Gaudin in a pregame radio interview that the loss of Shaq was much more than just physical. He said Shaq was the blocking director of the OL and would tell the rest of the line what the opposing defense was doing based on how they lined up. He said that they were working with Freddie Burden to take over but he wasn't at the level of expertise that Shaq had. Apparently Shaq was intuitive, with a trained eye, that could recognize what the opposing defense was going to do.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Found it! B you were correct this is the AJC quote......

http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/201...week-at-georgia-tech-justin-thomas-dialed-in/

3. In explaining the challenges the line has faced, Sewak mentioned that the line has always had a “bell cow guy” who could see everything that the defense was doing and relay it to him on the sidelines. Two who were really good at that role were Sewak’s All-American guards, Omoregie Uzzi and Shaquille Mason.

It requires what Sewak described as a “controlled” personality, a player who can recognize and remember alignment and depth in the midst of the chaos on the line and communicate all of it.

Mason “could see his area, his gap, he could see the backside, he could see the linebackers,” Sewak said.

Sewak said he is developing center Freddie Burden to take on that role – “I think Freddie’s going to be part of it,” he said – but the upshot that he isn’t quite there yet.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I remember mentioning before the season all of the people we lost and that 8-4 would be a heck of a year. I also remember people thinking my statement was ridiculous. One person said "Why does Clemson get the benefit of the doubt? They are losing EVERYONE on defense."
Score one for you on your observation. As for Clemson, well. the difference is that they are stacked 2-3 deep with 4 and 5-stars. Lost two DTs and replaced immediately with a 5-star freshman. And this season after booting 2-3 guys in the last year or so, including the flaky QB (Kelly) who had to go to jc to get eligible, and for some other things I gather, then wound up at Mississippi. Seems everybody winds up at Mississippi or FSU. Apparently those campuses come equipped with holding cells.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
The Bbacks are part of the "skill" groups, too, and their play is waaaaaaaaaaaay down from last year. Blocking, running, ball security, you name it. Also, it's not just the Aback blocking incompetence that kills plays, it's their going the wrong way, it's their SLOW feet, it's their hesitance, it's their poor timing and spacing.

Wr's haven't kept pace either. So that's 3 "skill" groups with considerable fall off from the previous year. What's the common denominator. NOOBS. The math is easy.

All that gets better with time and repetition. It did with last year's group. Those guys certainly weren't lighting it up the year before last. Most of those guys were on the bench or saw limited playing time two years ago. (Smelter is an exception, but even he got much better his second year in the system.)

So by your math you are telling me:

Bad OL + Skill Positions(experience) = another 2014 type season?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Found it! B you were correct this is the AJC quote......

http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/201...week-at-georgia-tech-justin-thomas-dialed-in/

3. In explaining the challenges the line has faced, Sewak mentioned that the line has always had a “bell cow guy” who could see everything that the defense was doing and relay it to him on the sidelines. Two who were really good at that role were Sewak’s All-American guards, Omoregie Uzzi and Shaquille Mason.

It requires what Sewak described as a “controlled” personality, a player who can recognize and remember alignment and depth in the midst of the chaos on the line and communicate all of it.

Mason “could see his area, his gap, he could see the backside, he could see the linebackers,” Sewak said.

Sewak said he is developing center Freddie Burden to take on that role – “I think Freddie’s going to be part of it,” he said – but the upshot that he isn’t quite there yet.
Not to dismiss the role by Mason or Uzzi at all. But surely Sewak has at least one spotter upstairs responsible for that, as well as himself, from behind the LOS. Even Johnson, who sees an enormous spread of the field, has a guy upstairs talking to him. I know because sometimes when Johnson is unhappy he is talking back. Not talking exactly. So I'm just not sure that explains much of it.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Things never change this drastically because of a single guy, NEVER. Well, maybe I shouldn't say never. Sometimes going from a seasoned, effective QB to a rookie makes this stuff happen. What is happening ( I have thought a lot about this, alone in my own head ) is a combination of a ton of factors. The OL is struggling with organization and a plan most of all. I am sure losing Shaq is a contributing factor. However, we are facing more blitzes than the the 2014 team did as well. IMHO this is mostly a factor of DCs not fearing one on one coverage situations at the boundary, nor our speed at AB. We are more likely to be covered in the one on one, so it opens up possibilities for the defense. Additionally, our skill position blocking has taken a major step backwards. It just has. JT has not faced "clean" situations making reads in the option as much as last year (and he has not reacted well to it either). Our team speed is down, our angles are less than ideal, we are less physical at skill positions, and we have put the ball on the ground.

When you don't block, you don't play winning football. If you can't stretch the defense, then "spread" has no meaning. Defenses pinning their ears back, not fearing repercussions, usually doesn't work out well for the offense.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Things never change this drastically because of a single guy, NEVER. Well, maybe I shouldn't say never. Sometimes going from a seasoned, effective QB to a rookie makes this stuff happen. What is happening ( I have thought a lot about this, alone in my own head ) is a combination of a ton of factors. The OL is struggling with organization and a plan most of all. I am sure losing Shaq is a contributing factor. However, we are facing more blitzes than the the 2014 team did as well. IMHO this is mostly a factor of DCs not fearing one on one coverage situations at the boundary, nor our speed at AB. We are more likely to be covered in the one on one, so it opens up possibilities for the defense. Additionally, our skill position blocking has taken a major step backwards. It just has. JT has not faced "clean" situations making reads in the option as much as last year (and he has not reacted well to it either). Our team speed is down, our angles are less than ideal, we are less physical at skill positions, and we have put the ball on the ground.

When you don't block, you don't play winning football. If you can't stretch the defense, then "spread" has no meaning. Defenses pinning their ears back, not fearing repercussions, usually doesn't work out well for the offense.
I'm not sure, but I think I'm reading this as saying the skill group issues have hurt us more than our OL issues have? In fact, the skill group issues have compounded the OL issues by allowing D's to pin their ears back.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer

Football is a complex game :cool:

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm not sure, but I think I'm reading this as saying the skill group issues have hurt us more than our OL issues have? In fact, the skill group issues have compounded the OL issues by allowing D's to pin their ears back.
I just got done watching VT game film where I feel the OL did not play particularly well once again, but there were errors being made all over the field. Skill guys didn't block well, we missed reads, we put the ball on the ground, we dropped wide open easily catchable passes and we had untimely penalties. We had plays here or there that were executed well, but we couldn't seem to sustain a string of them. In years past I had to look for errors watching film, now they just seem to be in my face all game long and I am forced to look for things that went right. It is just different. Guys are just taking turns screwing things up. But yes, teams are coming after us more this year. You do the math.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Teams early next year will bring lots of heat again....I fully expect to burn their asses hard. Lots to clean up in the offseason though.