Plug and Play Offense...

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
I was warning all summer long that we were gonna miss the experience lost in all those 5th yr skill guys but very few wanted to hear it. Even w/o the injuries it was an uphill battle. Just rewatch the ND game if you don't believe me.

I remember mentioning before the season all of the people we lost and that 8-4 would be a heck of a year. I also remember people thinking my statement was ridiculous. One person said "Why does Clemson get the benefit of the doubt? They are losing EVERYONE on defense."

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
What I mean by "plug and play" is zero drop off from the predecessor, specifically, the 5th yr senior from last year.

During the summer, a prevailing attitude on the board was that we would have no drop off in losing the skill guys from last year because the new guys were "even better athletes." That's hogwash. Even w/o the injuries, it's hogwash.
I would agree with that. Matching an NCAA record-setting offense with the same players would have been a challenge by itself.

I do think that Snoddy + Searcy > Lynch + Willis. Same goes for Leggett + Quaide (redshirt + early enrollee) > someone who had to move back to BB as a result and a transfer we took because of injuries.

Who knows what would have happened with consistent practice and PT for our starters.
The Andrews loss was huge. I thought so at the time he left.
I definitely cringed when this happened. There's no question you want your best players on the team (and healthy).

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
What I mean by "plug and play" is zero drop off from the predecessor, specifically, the 5th yr senior from last year.

During the summer, a prevailing attitude on the board was that we would have no drop off in losing the skill guys from last year because the new guys were "even better athletes." That's hogwash. Even w/o the injuries, it's hogwash.

This post is a lie. I do not believe anybody on here advocated for "zero drop off." I was one of the biggest advocates for plug and play, and I repeatedly posted that there would be some drop off from the best offense in decades. It was certainly not the prevailing attitude that there would be "no drop off."

You also suggested that ND was evidence for problems from the new skill positions. Yet, after the game, CPJ said the biggest problem was the Offensive Line. Please explain how you know better than CPJ.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This post is a lie. I do not believe anybody on here advocated for "zero drop off." I was one of the biggest advocates for plug and play, and I repeatedly posted that there would be some drop off from the best offense in decades. It was certainly not the prevailing attitude that there would be "no drop off."

You also suggested that ND was evidence for problems from the new skill positions. Yet, after the game, CPJ said the biggest problem was the Offensive Line. Please explain how you know better than CPJ.
Agree ( lie is a too strong) that most felt and said strong ol and improving defense would give new guys time.
We underestimated the terrible schedules impact. We have played teams that have had very improved year AFTER playing two really crappily coached teams (9 men on field).
Also ton of injuries.

Cheese may think having skill positions held by 5th year seniors is a regular plan.
I believe we think plug and play could work w the system if we get more balanced.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I don't thnk anyone thought that there would be zero dropoff from losing all of our starting rb's and wr's, but many of us were hopeful and optimistic that the offense would still be able to function and score some points. Having our entire Oline (minus Shaq) and JT returning gave me a lot of hope. Whats so incredibly frustrating to me is how winable every single game with the exception of Clemson has been. With just a marginally better team we would have 1 loss right now.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Hell...a few less boneheaded mistakes, just a couple per game, might have given us two or three more Ws......if wishes and wants....

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

You're a real piece of work Dude. Smh.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I remember him saying new guys had "deer in the headlights" look in their eyes. On several occasions.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I still do honestly at the skill positions. Not in my wildest dreams did I think we would go from great to absolute booboo on the OL after losing only 1 player. What I have learned from this season is you can't plug and play team chemistry and team leaders.
I'm with you on the second sentence, but as to skill positions: you obviously have not been watching our Abacks, WRs and Bbacks, and if "plug and play" was supposed to be accurate, this of all years is when we needed to see it. I hope we never again have to replace all the skill positions with true or redshirt freshmen, sometimes 2-3 deep at that. This got ugly.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You can count me in as one of the guys who thought we would be fine on offense. I didn't anticipate the injuries and departures at all. It isn't that I thought we would be as good as 2014, because that kind of offensive season is rare, but I thought we would be really good. I definitely thought the OL would be really really good. There you have it.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
I honestly think the OL problems are possibly a result of the poor play from the skill positions that include the QB, BB, AB and WR. Running to the wrong gaps and misreads will tend to make them look worse than they actually are.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I honestly think the OL problems are possibly a result of the poor play from the skill positions that include the QB, BB, AB and WR. Running to the wrong gaps and misreads will tend to make them look worse than they actually are.

I think our coach watching film can tell the difference.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I'm with you on the second sentence, but as to skill positions: you obviously have not been watching our Abacks, WRs and Bbacks, and if "plug and play" was supposed to be accurate, this of all years is when we needed to see it. I hope we never again have to replace all the skill positions with true or redshirt freshmen, sometimes 2-3 deep at that. This got ugly.

One question: If the Tackles would've block the MLB 50% more than they currently have or was able competently do a 50 pass protection (Protection for a straight drop back) you mean to tell me we would still have the same results? I say HELL NO. Probably 7-3 or 8-2 right now if so

Even opinions on JT has changed or been tempered tremendously because of the horrendous play of the OL.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
One question: If the Tackles would've block the MLB 50% more than they currently have or was able competently do a 50 pass protection (Protection for a straight drop back) you mean to tell me we would still have the same results? I say HELL NO. Probably 7-3 or 8-2 right now if so

Even opinions on JT has changed or been tempered tremendously because of the horrendous play of the OL.
Not sure what the bad OL play -- though isn't that part of a plug and play thing on offense too? had to do with really bad perimeter blocking by the Abacks and WRs, which I thought was your discussion point. I'd never argue that the MLB ever got even dusty, or that pass protection should have been better. But putting CBs, LBs and safeties on their backsides on the edge seems critical to this offense. We didn't, and as a result our "explosive" factor fizzled to where we were not even ordinary.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
OL is not a skill position and the discussion point is with all things being equal on the OLine could I drop in an Aback, Bback, WR(the only position my opinion is wavering on) and expect to see the comparable production. My answer remain yes. We're accustomed to seeing our Abacks making at least 1 guys miss now that guy has to make 3 guy miss bc of missed assignments by the OL on a consistent basis. Perimeter blocking has been inconsistent but no where near to the extreme as the OL has been.