Playing the Freshmen in the Remaining Games

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
You base this of a couple of plays in a game...none of which went for TDs? I hope he does play as good as Vick though.
I hope it was more of a hopeful joke, since Graham is also right handed.

I want to see him play when he is ready, since I believe he is the most talented QB on the roster. I believe we can win against UVA with TM or TO, but if he'll help us win that one and UGA, then he should play.

UGA matters immeasurably more than a bowl game to me, and if he can help in that one and needs some reps against UVA, he should get them.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
At his peak Vick was the greatest athlete to play football that I have ever seen in person. Supposed to have run a 4.2 40, but more importantly had that speed in pads. If he got open nobody was catching him. He also had a rocket launcher and he wasn't even left handed outside of football, his peewee coaches made him play lefty to even the playing field. He was chosen in the MLB draft while in college, he hasn't played baseball since the 8th grade. Graham might be athletic, but let's be real here.
You know what's crazy? In high school, Vick wasn't even the best QB in his disrict. The football player of the year was Ronald Curry who went to Hampton High. My dad took me to see Curry play and Vick just happened to be the opposing team's starting qb.

I've always found it funny I saw Vick play in high school and he was just an after thought in the area at the time.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Someone in the radio show asked about playing freshman in the remaining games. CPJ's response was "We won't play them just to play them. If we get in a situation to play them we will."

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
You know what's crazy? In high school, Vick wasn't even the best QB in his disrict. The football player of the year was Ronald Curry who went to Hampton High. My dad took me to see Curry play and Vick just happened to be the opposing team's starting qb.

I've always found it funny I saw Vick play in high school and he was just an after thought in the area at the time.

Didn't Curry wind up at UNC?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Didn't Curry wind up at UNC?
He did. He picked it because they would let him play basketball and football (he was MVP of the Mc'donald's all American game in basketball too...)
UNC was under a crazy rebuild on the oline and he never had protection. I think he had to deal with several injuries that limited him too. He ended up playing for the raiders as a WR I think. In retrospect he should have gone to UVA to play football, but you can never tell how these things will shake out.

5277hike

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, I wouldn't do this and I don't expect Coach to either. However, I was watching the re-run of Tech/VT last week and it suddenly struck me:

Graham is Michael Vick.

Same size, same speed, same throwing arm. All we have to do is get him up to the job. A series in the Ugag game might help do that, but, like I say, I wouldn't hold my breath.

From a google search, Vick was 6'0" and 215 lbs., so considerably heavier. I'd be surprised, but pleased, if Graham is as fast!

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
He did. He picked it because they would let him play basketball and football (he was MVP of the Mc'donald's all American game in basketball too...)
UNC was under a crazy rebuild on the oline and he never had protection. I think he had to deal with several injuries that limited him too. He ended up playing for the raiders as a WR I think. In retrospect he should have gone to UVA to play football, but you can never tell how these things will shake out.
He tore his Achilles (I think) at BDS. I was there.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
At his peak Vick was the greatest athlete to play football that I have ever seen in person. Supposed to have run a 4.2 40, but more importantly had that speed in pads. If he got open nobody was catching him. He also had a rocket launcher and he wasn't even left handed outside of football, his peewee coaches made him play lefty to even the playing field. He was chosen in the MLB draft while in college, he hasn't played baseball since the 8th grade. Graham might be athletic, but let's be real here.
I can't dispute any of that though it sounds super hero-like, but even so, the Vick episode is a primer that character tells. I gather he is straight now and I hope so, but my goodness what a career was lost.

bigtechfan67

Jolly Good Fellow

I think curry was mr football and bball that year

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Graham is NOT Vick. He is a nice prospect, but he is not Vick.

We would be hearing about Graham in practice.

During Vicks redshirt year, you kept hearing "y'all, there is a kid redshirting that when you see him HOLY S@#$"

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
He tore his achilles heel and never was the same.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

During Vicks redshirt year, you kept hearing "y'all, there is a kid redshirting that when you see him HOLY S@#$"
I think CPJ has multiple times said Graham was the most athletic player on the team, and that if he doesn't win QB he needs to find the field somehow.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member

To be complete, we have been hearing about Graham in practice (CPJ has made some noteworthy comments), but not of the magnitude of your hypothetical comment. And, no, it's almost impossible Graham could be Vick-level because I've seen no other QB in the history of football that was that level. JT was not Vick-level, Joe Ham, as great as he was, was not Vick-level. Deshaun Watson was not Vick-level. Vick was the fastest guy I've ever seen on a football field and could throw it through a concrete wall and had good size. Cam Newton, Vince Young, and Tim Tebow were close to that level - not as fast, but very fast and had the power and tackle-breaking/alluding ability that could make them uber-effective as runners and throwers.

If I were looking for a comparison to hope for, it would probably be something like JT-level, which is really exciting for our football program. (The guy that transferred out, ((already forgot his name)), looked like he was close to that as well.)

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
To be complete, we have been hearing about Graham in practice (CPJ has made some noteworthy comments), but not of the magnitude of your hypothetical comment. And, no, it's almost impossible Graham could be Vick-level because I've seen no other QB in the history of football that was that level. JT was not Vick-level, Joe Ham, as great as he was, was not Vick-level. Deshaun Watson was not Vick-level. Vick was the fastest guy I've ever seen on a football field and could throw it through a concrete wall and had good size. Cam Newton, Vince Young, and Tim Tebow were close to that level - not as fast, but very fast and had the power and tackle-breaking/alluding ability that could make them uber-effective as runners and throwers.

If I were looking for a comparison to hope for, it would probably be something like JT-level, which is really exciting for our football program. (The guy that transferred out, ((already forgot his name)), looked like he was close to that as well.)

If anybody wants to see the magic Mike Vick brought to a football field take a look at his run against the Minnesota Vikings to win a game. To this day I've never seen a run come close to it.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap2000000148514/Michael-Vick-splits-the-Vikings-defense