1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

Playing the Freshmen in the Remaining Games

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Football' started by CLHarperJackt, Nov 10, 2018.

1. CLHarperJackt

CLHarperJackt Jolly Good Fellow

With only three games plus a bowl game left in the season, what are the thoughts on CPJ playing all or most of the freshmen in the remaining games to develop, evaluate and get them game experience for next year's team?

2. lv20gt

lv20gt Helluva Engineer

Johnson is coaching for his job. No way he does this, regardless if it would be best for the program.

3. JacketFromUGA

JacketFromUGA Helluva Engineer

Only if we have a 3-4 TD lead in the 4th

4. danny daniel

danny daniel Helluva Engineer

I think CPJ's overriding issue with young players is you play if/when you can help us win. His other issue with young players is he is reluctant to burn a redshirt unless the player will get meaningful playing time.

Whiskey_Clear likes this.
  5. MikeJackets1967

MikeJackets1967 Helluva Engineer

If the games happen to be blowouts:cigar:

6. Oldgoldandwhite

Oldgoldandwhite Helluva Engineer

I don’t understand the obsession with young players. If they were good enough they would be starting. They will get a lot more experience during bowl practice and spring training, than in mop up time.

7. dressedcheeseside

dressedcheeseside Helluva Engineer

So we should give up on the rest of the season to develop guys for the future? Nice. I bet that would go over just peachy with the guys who’ve sacrificed everything for this program.

8. chewybaka

chewybaka Helluva Engineer

If I am following, I believe vthe intent is to take advy of the new rules allowing a freshman to play in four games and not loose their redshirt? This is an interesting idea, whose intent is to get the best players on the field with an expanded pool of talent...

9. dressedcheeseside

Actually, it’s simply expanding eligibility from 4 to 4 1/3 seasons.

Whiskey_Clear and danny daniel like this.
  10. lv20gt

lv20gt Helluva Engineer

Sacrificed everything? lol.

GT14 likes this.
  11. dressedcheeseside

Yes. Don’t take my word for it, ask someone who played... @Ibeeballin or anyone else on the board who “bled awhile” for our entertainment.

12. lv20gt

lv20gt Helluva Engineer

Wait, he sacrificed everything? You mean he died? He was left completely penniless? Horribly disfigured?

GT14 likes this.
  13. dressedcheeseside

Everything short of death/disfigurement, but I imagine their physical and possible mental health are likely impacted significantly.

All of which is totally beside the point but I gather you knew that the whole time. Exaggeration aside, my point stands.

14. a5ehren

a5ehren Ramblin' Wreck

Eh, a lot of them have already played, and these games do still mean something. I bet we'll see many freshmen in the bowl game, though.

15. Boomergump

Boomergump Moderator Staff Member

We need to play the next two games with an "all hands on deck" approach. Winning is the goal, plain and simple. If that means a frosh needs to contribute meaningful snaps, then he should. The only caveat would be preserving a RS if a kid has already played a game or two and the gap between he and the next guy isn't much. No social experiments allowed.

16. Coloradojacket

Coloradojacket Helluva Engineer

Um seeing as how we have a tough UVA Game and Georgia, why would we play a bunch of inexperienced guys. We need to win out.

17. CLHarperJackt

CLHarperJackt Jolly Good Fellow

Thank you. Yes this was the intent, since you can now play in up to 4 games and not lose your red shirt. I am not suggesting throwing/tanking games.

18. gtg936g

gtg936g Helluva Engineer

If Graham is as good of a passer as we have heard, I would like to see a package for him vs UGA. We have everything to win and nothing to lose in that game. Save him unless needed for UVA, then give him a series for UGA.

GT14 and Buzz*The*Plumber like this.
  19. takethepoints

takethepoints Helluva Engineer

Well, I wouldn't do this and I don't expect Coach to either. However, I was watching the re-run of Tech/VT last week and it suddenly struck me:

Graham is Michael Vick.

Same size, same speed, same throwing arm. All we have to do is get him up to the job. A series in the Ugag game might help do that, but, like I say, I wouldn't hold my breath.

20. forensicbuzz

forensicbuzz Helluva Engineer

I would be absolutely shocked if Graham had the same speed or arm strength as Michael Vick.