Players Suspended

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Yea, I’m gonna have to disagree. The guys we have now are more talented, it’s just an issue of will the team as a whole play better and give those guys the opportunity to do something, and will they learn the system to its fullest.

I'll see your disagree and raise you one more. I'll take results over potential any day. I hope these guys do make us forget the great Lasky/Days combo....but I have to see it to believe it. I do not operate on faith in this arena.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I'll see your disagree and raise you one more. I'll take results over potential any day. I hope these guys do make us forget the great Lasky/Days combo....but I have to see it to believe it. I do not operate on faith in this arena.
I agree 100 percent. However the poster said NOTHING can top Laskey and Days. I was just making a point that what he said is not true and we have guys that could be better. That’s why I said they need to learn the system to the fullest, and have guys around them help. I’m by no means saying they are currently better or will be.

King2b

Jolly Good Fellow
I hope so, but man I think this is a terrible idea. So if Taquon is late for a class we are going to roll a RS frosh QB against Clemson and risk getting behind by multiple scores in the first quarter? Ok...I get the idea that he’s trying to get the kids to be more responsible, but there comes a point when you’re potentially doing more harm than good. The runs on the other hand at least get/keep you in shape.
Sounded to me it's when it's ongoing issue. He mentioned he might let it slide if Parker was late given his track record of never missing anything.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Yea, I’m gonna have to disagree. The guys we have now are more talented, it’s just an issue of will the team as a whole play better and give those guys the opportunity to do something, and will they learn the system to its fullest.

It is hard to say. Laskey hit the hole very quick and ran hard, Days was just so big and tough that he was hard to bring down. They complimented each other well but the guys we have now are probably more talented BUT the defenses have gotten better at,defending us plus Days and Laskey benefited from the "Shaq Factor". There is talk among defensive players and coaches that this offensive line may be the best yet from top to bottom. We will soon find out, that is, if they ever get them all in the right places and guys come back from suspensions and injuries. I, for one, am quite happy facing Alcorn State first and then a graduation depleted, supposedly, USF team rather than start out with Virginia Tech, Miami, or God forbid Clemson.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Disappointing but the old 90/10 rule is still pretty applicable. 10% of the guys on the team cause 90% of the problems. Best weapon any coach can have is the pine. Can't be in class or late to meetings then you can sit while other guys play. I still think that the 6 am running should do the trick most of the time along with some judiciously applied peer pressure from team leaders but I guess some people are just hard headed.

furant

Jolly Good Fellow
Not smart
I actually subscribe to CPJ's philosophy here. We're not going to win anything on talent alone so we need to do everything with more precision and discipline than our opponents. If that means a player sits on a sideline so that we can imbue that mindset, I'm fine with that. And if it teaches them a little extra something about life, so much the better.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
In his press conference yesterday, coach said something along the line that the little things are what wins you the close games. If we can’t show up to class/practice/meetings on time, how can he expect them to do the little things in the games? I whole heartedly agree. My college baseball coach had two major rules. If you’re earl your on time, and be cleanly shaven for practice/games. The ones that didn’t follow those rules were quickly weeded out. And typically, they were the ones trying to create problems on the team.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
OTOH--you hurt the TEAM by missing game but you only penalize the player with running.

True if the punishment (missing game time) does not work, but if it does the purpose is accomplished. The running punishment according to CPJ was not working.