Players Suspended

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
If Coach enforces the policy for the first three weeks, I doubt he’ll need it from Clem(p)son onward.
I hope so, but man I think this is a terrible idea. So if Taquon is late for a class we are going to roll a RS frosh QB against Clemson and risk getting behind by multiple scores in the first quarter? Ok...I get the idea that he’s trying to get the kids to be more responsible, but there comes a point when you’re potentially doing more harm than good. The runs on the other hand at least get/keep you in shape.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
So I admittedly don’t know the established rules, and I’m tired from travel so maybe I should sleep on it and reassess, but right now I hate this policy. I get that we are trying to build a total person, but we are also trying to win football games. A minor infraction is just that...minor, and shouldn’t result in a suspension from playing time. I get that it’s Alcorn and I may be overreacting, but if this happens In a critical game it could cost us the game...and not to be a jerk, but a player being five minutes late to a class should not be a reason we suspend key players in such a situation.

Anyone have any idea how this would have played out in years past with player suspensions? I’m sure we never heard of the morning runs, so we were clueless that any punishment happened at all...

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
I hope so, but man I think this is a terrible idea. So if Taquon is late for a class we are going to roll a RS frosh QB against Clemson and risk getting behind by multiple scores in the first quarter? Ok...I get the idea that he’s trying to get the kids to be more responsible, but there comes a point when you’re potentially doing more harm than good. The runs on the other hand at least get/keep you in shape.

Eh, he said if it's a guy like Parker Braun who is never late to anything and always does what he's supposed to he'll be willing to consider letting it go, but a guy who has like 20 he'd enforce the rules in the press conference.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Eh, he said if it's a guy like Parker Braun who is never late to anything and always does what he's supposed to he'll be willing to consider letting it go, but a guy who has like 20 he'd enforce the rules in the press conference.
Ouch, ok. So then does that mean that Benson, Thomas, and Jackson are consistent repeat offenders? If that’s the case that’s not so great for a different reason...

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
I get that it’s Alcorn and I may be overreacting, but if this happens In a critical game it could cost us the game...and not to be a jerk, but a player being five minutes late to a class should not be a reason we suspend key players in such a situation.
If the rules are well-documented and everyone knows the consequences, then you can only blame the players for screwing up.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I’m as big of a Benson supporter as anyone on here (except his dad, naturally), but I would be damn glad to see a compliment or two or two step up to give him a breather here and there. Having fresher legs throughout the game should help him be even more explosive and effective when he gets to carry the rock. If Mason blows up in that 1st quarter, I’ll be beyond ecstatic.
Btw a capable backup to Benson would have won us the Miami game. The BB position was entirely ineffective when he went out that day.
+1

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Ouch, ok. So then does that mean that Benson, Thomas, and Jackson are consistent repeat offenders? If that’s the case that’s not so great for a different reason...

I think he pulled the number 20 out of thin air to make a point. If it’s a guy who almost always is dependable, he probably gets a pass depending on circumstances. If it’s a guy that’s new or already been late a time or two, especially recently, it’s probably hammer time.

I think some of y’all are over (or maybe under?) thinking this.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Makes sense. An exception to the rule will be accepted, when it happens too often or over multiple areas of concern, the benefit of doubt is gone.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I don’t like seeing that we have discipline issues requiring suspensions for any amount of time. Especially given the lofty goals this team is suggesting.

I hope the players get after one another to keep clean noses during the year. I know from experience having a teammate look you in the eye and demand your best is as impactful as anything else. We have a chance to be great the next few years. The build starts now with a new defensive identity.

Don’t mean to be a downer and I know it must be small peanuts if it is just a quarter, but that doesn’t make it trivial if this is bad behavior.

We need leaders like Brant Mitchell on D helping to self police one another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Midtown is absolutely correct. Young men will respond to guys setting the example and establishing the right way to go about things. This is an issue best addressed by team leaders not the coaches.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I would really like to see one of these guys to go to Aback.We need some size there anyway.There is a limit on what a 180 lb guy can do--in blocking sometimes especially.
Iwould think Mason would fit best.Can catch better? Thoughts.?
Mason is supposedly to good to move to A back. That’s why he passed Howard on the depth chart.