Players Suspended

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I don’t like seeing that we have discipline issues requiring suspensions for any amount of time. Especially given the lofty goals this team is suggesting.

I hope the players get after one another to keep clean noses during the year. I know from experience having a teammate look you in the eye and demand your best is as impactful as anything else. We have a chance to be great the next few years. The build starts now with a new defensive identity.

Don’t mean to be a downer and I know it must be small peanuts if it is just a quarter, but that doesn’t make it trivial if this is bad behavior.

We need leaders like Brant Mitchell on D helping to self police one another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I'll say this. I dont know if we see benson in the 1st game. By the 2nd quarter we should be up 21-0. We wouldn't risk hurting him just to get playing time. We may play him for 1 series. But I doubt he plays more than 1 or 2 series. Especially if Mason is doing well.

Milwaukee

Banned
But why do you say he’s a monster? I think he looks the part but does he run like one? With the same amount of carries Dedric, Marcus Marshall, and KirVonte had already shown more all around running ability. And while I think they were/are all good backs for us, I wouldn’t say they were/are hands down incredible backs.

I realize not believing Howard is a monster isn’t a popular answer on here because I’ve seen people gush over him a lot. But I’m still waiting to actually see something. In fact I view Mason moving ahead of him as a huge positive.

He's more explosive than KB, and faster with the ball in his hands. He hasn't had the opportunities. My take isn't a very popular one because people will scream "Well the coaches see them in practice every day to determine who gets the snaps"...well we sat around for a few years watching the linebacker position debacle knowing damn well the best players weren't on the field so that theory doesn't fly with me.

The BB position is gonna get theirs regardless, it's gonna put up huge numbers. I just want the most explosive players at each position on the field at all times, but I realize that's not realistic. I haven't seen enough of Mason, but if he's more explosive than KB and Howard then I'm in for a treat.

Dpjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t like seeing that we have discipline issues requiring suspensions for any amount of time. Especially given the lofty goals this team is suggesting.

I hope the players get after one another to keep clean noses during the year. I know from experience having a teammate look you in the eye and demand your best is as impactful as anything else. We have a chance to be great the next few years. The build starts now with a new defensive identity.

Don’t mean to be a downer and I know it must be small peanuts if it is just a quarter, but that doesn’t make it trivial if this is bad behavior.

We need leaders like Brant Mitchell on D helping to self police one another.

Would agree. My initial thought as well.

Unless CPJ is like a Tom Coughlin where if you’re 5 mins early you’re actually late? Or maybe this is result of cumulative over preseason?

In any case, I know we all have confidence in the young men to work it out and learn from it :-/

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
He's more explosive than KB, and faster with the ball in his hands. He hasn't had the opportunities. My take isn't a very popular one because people will scream "Well the coaches see them in practice every day to determine who gets the snaps"...well we sat around for a few years watching the linebacker position debacle knowing damn well the best players weren't on the field so that theory doesn't fly with me.

The BB position is gonna get theirs regardless, it's gonna put up huge numbers. I just want the most explosive players at each position on the field at all times, but I realize that's not realistic. I haven't seen enough of Mason, but if he's more explosive than KB and Howard then I'm in for a treat.

I just don’t agree that Howard is more explosive than KB. KB has been incredible. He is also simply a bull.

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
I seem to remember reading that Dedrick's first suspension was because he overslept and was late to practice. He got a game for that. With that precedent, I suspect the issue here is extremely minor.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I seem to remember reading that Dedrick's first suspension was because he overslept and was late to practice. He got a game for that. With that precedent, I suspect the issue here is extremely minor.

Mills missed a practice.
Benson probably was late to class.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I just don’t agree that Howard is more explosive than KB. KB has been incredible. He is also simply a bull.

Agreed. Nor even close to standing next to the fan saying that this is a problem, just saying I would prefer to not have the distraction coming into game 1

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I’m as big of a Benson supporter as anyone on here (except his dad, naturally), but I would be damn glad to see a compliment or two or two step up to give him a breather here and there. Having fresher legs throughout the game should help him be even more explosive and effective when he gets to carry the rock. If Mason blows up in that 1st quarter, I’ll be beyond ecstatic.
Btw a capable backup to Benson would have won us the Miami game. The BB position was entirely ineffective when he went out that day.

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
Moral of the story....don't believe everything you read.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Update on the suspension issue...
Per CPJ press conference today, instead of having to do 6am runs for minor infractions (missed breakfast, late to class, miss study hall, etc) he will have you sit out 1 quarter. CPJ trying to instill sense of responsibility; he sees it as part of his commitment to the student/athlete & their family "to make them the best citizen, the person they can be."

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Update on the suspension issue...
Per CPJ press conference today, instead of having to do 6am runs for minor infractions (missed breakfast, late to class, miss study hall, etc) he will have you sit out 1 quarter. CPJ trying to instill sense of responsibility; he sees it as part of his commitment to the student/athlete & their family "to make them the best citizen, the person they can be."
This policy could really hurt us on defense where CNW likes to roll fresh guys in there.