Pitt favored by 8 points

Jmonty71

Banned
Sounds abut right. GTS offense is hit or miss and the defense can't force many punts. If the offense is rolling , it will be a good game. If not, don't expect too much out of the defense. Right now, I think we will play tough, tough even to be less than 8. But, not sure enough to win.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Can pitt throw the ball? I am convinced watching our defense that any team that can consistently throw the football will beat us by 2 possessions. I will admit I haven't watched one pitt game this year so I will do that this week before I say how off the line is.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Clemson, I will give you but we were down by a TD late in the third quarter of the Miami game. I'm not sure how you can argue that we weren't in it.

Depends on your definition of "in it". Yes we had a chance to win, at most a ~16% chance in the second half. But given our inability to stop UM, it was not much being down a score and UM getting the ball.

ESPN has a neat chart during (and after the games) on the left hand side that shows the probability of a team winning ..... here http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400869721

During chat I said the game was over when after the second fumble. That statement was beer aided and not correct; the game was only ~97% over.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Pitt is a run stop the run team. They've had twice as many carries as passes.

Their rush D has been pretty stout, holding PennSt, OkSt, and UNC to 2.26 yds/carry on average, #2 vs pwr5 competition in that stat. They are #103 in ypp D because they're #116 in ypa pass D.

Their O has put up pts on pwr5 teams, but stopping the run may not be a strength of their past opponents.

It's apparently their homecoming.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer

Their rush D has been pretty stout, holding PennSt, OkSt, and UNC to 2.26 yds/carry on average, #2 vs pwr5 competition in that stat. They are #103 in ypp D because they're #116 in ypa pass D.

Their O has put up pts on pwr5 teams, but stopping the run may not be a strength of their past opponents.

Just from my arm chair view I think we can hang with any rush first team. Once they find out they can throw at will on us it opens up the whole offense for them.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
For a coach to see an OL literally rolling on the turf & the D player literally hopping over him and make a tackle - folks that is not missing an assignment.

Thank you. Sometimes I feel like I am the only one that sees that in my group of friends. The option is not "figured out", but our blocking scheme might be.

GTHOSCHTON

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we have a chance to win in the rest of our games and hope we do...I am not on the fire CPJ train, but he is becoming stale and am tired of the same excuses he is paid 4 mil a year to figure it out!.....

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Depends on your definition of "in it". Yes we had a chance to win, at most a ~16% chance in the second half. But given our inability to stop UM, it was not much being down a score and UM getting the ball.

ESPN has a neat chart during (and after the games) on the left hand side that shows the probability of a team winning ..... here http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400869721

During chat I said the game was over when after the second fumble. That statement was beer aided and not correct; the game was only ~97% over.

What was our % chance to win vs FSU last year and against UGA in 2014? I think the UGA game got down to .19%

Those charts are based on a snap shot in time. I've watched those things in a game go from 1 team having a 97% chance to win at halftime and by the end of the game it's 0%.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

So you felt after we forced them into two consecutive three and outs on defense, and pulled to within a TD on offense that we had no chance in the game and we weren't in it? I certainly didn't feel that way. I would guess most Tech fans and all of the players felt some optimism at that point.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

I agree Pitt likes to run but after watching our games I do look for them to screen pass and hit the TE on a crossing pattern or a quick pass to the WR.
It just seem like in the pass years if we face a team that likes to run they pass against us, and if we face a team that likes to pass they run against us.

Animal02

Banned
This is going to be a tough game going up to Pitt to play and coming off two losses in a row. I wish I felt more optimistic about it.
Two years ago, we headed into Pitt with two losses in a row and everyone crying that the season was over. Unless things have really changed, it is not a great "home field" environment like a Clemson or UGAG.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
This line is a sucker bet to bet gt. Which is even worse because it says vegas REALLY likes pitt in this game so they want the money to go to tech. If it does and the line moves down; they expect pitt to win by ten. Lets see the line on thursday

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Ouch, looks like we are about to walk into another buzz saw. Lose this one and i think the team throws in the towel and we will be home for the Holidays for the second year in a row. CPJ could have his job on the line next year

GT has never thrown in the towel under CPJ, that's one thing you can never take away from his teams, they fight hard to the end.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
This line is a sucker bet to bet gt. Which is even worse because it says vegas REALLY likes pitt in this game so they want the money to go to tech. If it does and the line moves down; they expect pitt to win by ten. Lets see the line on thursday
I agree with your first two comments but am having a hard time agreeing with the bolded. I don't know if this is how it generally shakes out, though I'm far from an expert.

The last two weeks the late money (i.e., day before/day of) moved heavily toward Clemson and Miami. To me that's most telling.

As of now the line is at 7. Not much to read into yet, imo.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Sharp money (pro betters) comes in the most when lines open and right before kick off. That is the money to follow. If last min money pours in on Pitt that is not a good sign.