Petition: Use Gold as a Primary Color

GTballer21

Jolly Good Fellow
That's not many people in the overall scheme of things. Not enough to move the needle.

To be honest, I think most Tech alum and probably most veteran sidewalk fans would prefer to see us in White and Gold. So, trying to get fans to sign a petition for more gold doesn't surprise me. That being said, I think there is a small minority that doesn't want to see Tech play in blue jerseys, but most are okay with it occasionally. I don't really know many of us (fans) who thought the blue/blue combination was a good look for GT, but the color schemes for the game-day uniforms isn't for us (right or wrong), it's for the players. There's way too much to worry about above and beyond jersey colors.

I personally like the navy stuff. I have a tendency to stain light-colored tops, so the navy works for me. I like the White and Gold for uniforms, but think the fans should wear whatever they want, as long as they show out for GT. However, I think there is way too much bitching and grumbling and yelling at clouds about what they're wearing and what we're wearing.

There are specific fonts that probably need to start volunteering in their retirement life because they have way too much time to complain about uniform colors and fan colors on a message board. There are those of us with less time to spend wading through all the nonsense to get to good GT information. So, please, can we just let it go? This last part probably should be in the other uniform color thread, but I don't feel like splitting the post into two different threads.

Love you all as fellow GT fans (fanatics). So, I hope no one gets their feelings hurt and turns nasty.
Thank you! I believe we should stick to white and gold and agree with everyone, but it has been difficult sifting through posts to find good info when the same thing is being repeated over and over again.. WE GET IT

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
That's not many people in the overall scheme of things. Not enough to move the needle.

To be honest, I think most Tech alum and probably most veteran sidewalk fans would prefer to see us in White and Gold. So, trying to get fans to sign a petition for more gold doesn't surprise me. That being said, I think there is a small minority that doesn't want to see Tech play in blue jerseys, but most are okay with it occasionally. I don't really know many of us (fans) who thought the blue/blue combination was a good look for GT, but the color schemes for the game-day uniforms isn't for us (right or wrong), it's for the players. There's way too much to worry about above and beyond jersey colors.

I personally like the navy stuff. I have a tendency to stain light-colored tops, so the navy works for me. I like the White and Gold for uniforms, but think the fans should wear whatever they want, as long as they show out for GT. However, I think there is way too much bitching and grumbling and yelling at clouds about what they're wearing and what we're wearing.

There are specific fonts that probably need to start volunteering in their retirement life because they have way too much time to complain about uniform colors and fan colors on a message board. There are those of us with less time to spend wading through all the nonsense to get to good GT information. So, please, can we just let it go? This last part probably should be in the other uniform color thread, but I don't feel like splitting the post into two different threads.

Love you all as fellow GT fans (fanatics). So, I hope no one gets their feelings hurt and turns nasty.

Our head coach believes branding is important in selling the Tech product.

Coca Cola and Budweiser spend a ton of money to make sure that the red they use (and acquire from vendors) is always consistent. It doesn't vary. Why? Branding. Selling the product. As someone who works in this area, I can tell you that goodwill value for an enterprise is built through consumer recognition of consistent branding.

There seems to be a disconnect with the GTAA. Stansbury talks about branding-and specifically color-being important. The actions (or inaction) of the GTAA say otherwise.

The concern by fans and the effort to establish and maintain the brand--even if a small effort like a poll- is better than doing nothing.

Congratulations! You have managed to get an infinitesimal portion of our fanbase to sign onto a futile, pointless effort. Will you also provide updates on your success yelling at clouds?
You are correct that there was a color change in 2018. From yellowjackedup.com:

Changes to Georgia Tech’s athletics branding include a new shade of old gold based off the color of the Ramblin’ Wreck 1930 Model A Ford. The new shade will be called “Tech Gold.” The new choice of gold will continue to accompany white as Tech’s two primary colors. Navy blue will continue to be used as a secondary color.

Interesting that they call it a "new shade of old gold."

I don't agree that old gold is or ever was "mustard orange'ish." In my mind, old gold is the color of the Carson jerseys of 68-71. Maybe that's because I was in school 2 of those years. It's more brown. Think of gold that ages. It tends to darken, not become orange.

From 68-71, the trim was black. No blue to be seen anywhere--although someone tried to argue otherwise awhile back. I had a replica jersey from the 70's and it was white with gold and black trim. I don't remember blue until Ross came.
The trim was black long before 1968, and I certainly do not remember any use of blue whatsoever during my years on campus from 1962 - 1967/

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow
Our head coach believes branding is important in selling the Tech product.

Coca Cola and Budweiser spend a ton of money to make sure that the red they use (and acquire from vendors) is always consistent. It doesn't vary. Why? Branding. Selling the product. As someone who works in this area, I can tell you that goodwill value for an enterprise is built through consumer recognition of consistent branding.

There seems to be a disconnect with the GTAA. Stansbury talks about branding-and specifically color-being important. The actions (or inaction) of the GTAA say otherwise.

The concern by fans and the effort to establish and maintain the brand--even if a small effort like a poll- is better than doing nothing.

Excellent post. All we have heard starting with Adidas, and continuing through Coach Collins, is that brand is important. That makes this an important conversation.

Unfortunately, GTAA has been a dismal failure on that front and continues to be, despite all the talk. Inconsistency hurts the brand, and we are doing it to ourselves.

white coffey

Georgia Tech Fan
At the risk of getting flamed, I like the navy blue. . I admit that I’m a sidewalk fan, and a relatively new one at that, but I’ve always thought the gold/yellow looked kinda weak (especially with different shades). I get all the branding points, but no matter what, navy and/or gold will never be as strong as RED OR ORANGE as branding colors. I wonder what the SAs prefer?

WC

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
It just makes no sense on the GTAAs part. An entire campaign promoting the new gold and they never use it. Mind boggling.
For example of the crazy branding by the GTAA, go watch the softball game on right now and tell me that doesnt look exactly like Georgia Southern. Mind boggling

Deep breaths... some of you guys must be OCD or something to be this bothered about colors.

The only thing that's "mind boggling" about this is that the same few guys keep bringing this up over and over again on this board as if that will somehow convince the GTAA to stop using blue uniforms?

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Deep breaths... some of you guys must be OCD or something to be this bothered about colors.

The only thing that's "mind boggling" about this is that the same few guys keep bringing this up over and over again on this board as if that will somehow convince the GTAA to stop using blue uniforms?
Im fine just completely incompetent thinking from the GTAA

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
At the risk of getting flamed, I like the navy blue. . I admit that I’m a sidewalk fan, and a relatively new one at that, but I’ve always thought the gold/yellow looked kinda weak (especially with different shades). I get all the branding points, but no matter what, navy and/or gold will never be as strong as RED OR ORANGE as branding colors. I wonder what the SAs prefer?

WC

You shouldn't get flamed. This is a subjective matter, so your opinion is as valid as any other. I think the players like the blue, too. When given the choice on uniform combinations, they tend to choose it. A lot of fans like it, too, in addition to coaches. I would like more gold gear available, but blue is not going away, and that's okay, too.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

But......what if they actually succeed?

:D

We keep bringing it up because we care about the traditions of the school, and since the early part of the 20th century Tech has been known as and identified by the White and Gold. In spite of random use of navy blue through the years, Tech has never been the blue and anything. Those of us who object to it so much and so often are obviously traditionalists, and frankly I am disappointed that there are not more of us. I have said this before, so I know how some of you will react, but I frankly don't give a damn what the players say they want, or what somebody in the athletic department, including the AD, say (including misquoting an 1898 news article), Georgia Tech IS the White and Gold, and any effort to change that offends me as a proud alum and lifelong fan.

GTballer21

Jolly Good Fellow
We keep bringing it up because we care about the traditions of the school, and since the early part of the 20th century Tech has been known as and identified by the White and Gold. In spite of random use of navy blue through the years, Tech has never been the blue and anything. Those of us who object to it so much and so often are obviously traditionalists, and frankly I am disappointed that there are not more of us. I have said this before, so I know how some of you will react, but I frankly don't give a damn what the players say they want, or what somebody in the athletic department, including the AD, say (including misquoting an 1898 news article), Georgia Tech IS the White and Gold, and any effort to change that offends me as a proud alum and lifelong fan.

Here are a few pictures over many decades that prove you wrong

8E2626E2-7F7C-4E22-B329-43853E26DF42.jpeg

69BC1242-C6CB-4FA6-9D90-DD4641D97D80.jpeg
757E4517-229D-4EF6-B625-5953ECE6D051.jpeg

660689D3-8DCA-4F93-82BD-6F16585E0318.jpeg
6A70656D-F2D9-4020-82B2-AE5AEB555D17.jpeg

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
CGC and the rest of the new coaching staff seem to have a substantial preference for the navy blue gear. Take that for what it is worth for a staff that is all about what they think best markets to the kids.