Jolly Good Fellow
I like black better than navy

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 34

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Actually, our color is old gold, not just gold. It used to be that the bookstore was full of cheddar colored items. Many years ago I asked why there was no old gold.

I guess they solved that issue. Changed everything to navy. It didn't help that our coaches were wearing navy, so everything shifted that way.

https://www.google.com/search?q=coa...gAhVRhuAKHSsjC_gQ7Al6BAgGEA0&biw=1316&bih=750

Our current color is "Tech Gold". Old gold (the mustard orange'ish one) is gone, and as you pointed out, it wasn't used much. "Cheddar" is Buzz Gold, which is also gone (Officially, anyway).
http://www.gtathl.com/build/img/georgiatech_athletic_wordmark.pdf

brand-colors.png

Last edited:

jacketjp

Georgia Tech Fan
Up to 138 supporters. I've done nothing besides share it on this forum and on the Georgia Tech reddit page r/gatech, so I'm pretty impressed with the results.

Congratulations! You have managed to get an infinitesimal portion of our fanbase to sign onto a futile, pointless effort. Will you also provide updates on your success yelling at clouds?

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Our current color is "Tech Gold". Old gold (the mustard orange'ish one) is gone, and as you pointed out, it wasn't used much. "Cheddar" is Buzz Gold, which is also gone (Officially, anyway).
http://www.gtathl.com/build/img/georgiatech_athletic_wordmark.pdf

brand-colors.png

You are correct that there was a color change in 2018. From yellowjackedup.com:

Changes to Georgia Tech’s athletics branding include a new shade of old gold based off the color of the Ramblin’ Wreck 1930 Model A Ford. The new shade will be called “Tech Gold.” The new choice of gold will continue to accompany white as Tech’s two primary colors. Navy blue will continue to be used as a secondary color.

Interesting that they call it a "new shade of old gold."

I don't agree that old gold is or ever was "mustard orange'ish." In my mind, old gold is the color of the Carson jerseys of 68-71. Maybe that's because I was in school 2 of those years. It's more brown. Think of gold that ages. It tends to darken, not become orange.

From 68-71, the trim was black. No blue to be seen anywhere--although someone tried to argue otherwise awhile back. I had a replica jersey from the 70's and it was white with gold and black trim. I don't remember blue until Ross came.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
Whenever I'd build up a head of steam about something, my dad would listen and then ask, "OK, then what?" Whatever my grand plan was would usually quickly fall apart, and I'd realize it'd be wise to direct my energy to something productive.

1) Get Georgia Tech athletics teams wearing more gold and white, and less navy and grey

As discussed extensively, the variety of uniforms is part of the recruiting game, and kids (whether you like it or not) enjoy the alternate colors/designs when given a choice. Apparel providers are in the business of making money, so alternate uniforms are an avenue to make more money. Adidas/Nike/UA aren't going to say, "Please just wear these standard home and away uniforms."

2) Make more gold (and white) apparel accessible to fans to match with the initiative GTAA promotes regarding wearing gold to sporting events (except when wearing white to white-outs)

GTAA literally gave EVERY SINGLE season ticket holder for football and basketball a free gold shirt (we ended up with 6 total shirts). That's a pretty strong commitment to gold apparel from their own wallet. Here's the gold adidas apparel I bought this year: gold polo, gold pullover, gold hoodie, two gold short sleeve shirts, one gold long sleeve shirt, gold basketball jersey. Honestly, how much more could a single person need? GTAA did not buy Adidas or the bookstore, so they can't manufacture more gold or force a retailer to stock more of it.

3) Be more uniform in social media posts and other promotions/signage to avoid posts like this that look more like they came from another school than GT.

This one is a head-scratcher to me. If the color scheme on a baseball graphic is worthy of a petition, then I guess we've solved every other problem facing Georgia Tech athletics. I don't follow baseball close but I think our overall graphics look is pretty slick.

So a hundred people signed this. OK, then what?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
You are correct that there was a color change in 2018. From yellowjackedup.com:

Changes to Georgia Tech’s athletics branding include a new shade of old gold based off the color of the Ramblin’ Wreck 1930 Model A Ford. The new shade will be called “Tech Gold.” The new choice of gold will continue to accompany white as Tech’s two primary colors. Navy blue will continue to be used as a secondary color.

Interesting that they call it a "new shade of old gold."

I don't agree that old gold is or ever was "mustard orange'ish." In my mind, old gold is the color of the Carson jerseys of 68-71. Maybe that's because I was in school 2 of those years. It's more brown. Think of gold that ages. It tends to darken, not become orange.

From 68-71, the trim was black. No blue to be seen anywhere--although someone tried to argue otherwise awhile back. I had a replica jersey from the 70's and it was white with gold and black trim. I don't remember blue until Ross came.

I was thinking of this version of Old Gold
athletic-gold-color-26612-gold-color-code-cmyk-stuff-to-buy-of-athletic-gold-color-150x150.jpg

Honestly, all of this stuff makes my eyeballs hurt after a while, though.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
That's not many people in the overall scheme of things. Not enough to move the needle.

To be honest, I think most Tech alum and probably most veteran sidewalk fans would prefer to see us in White and Gold. So, trying to get fans to sign a petition for more gold doesn't surprise me. That being said, I think there is a small minority that doesn't want to see Tech play in blue jerseys, but most are okay with it occasionally. I don't really know many of us (fans) who thought the blue/blue combination was a good look for GT, but the color schemes for the game-day uniforms isn't for us (right or wrong), it's for the players. There's way too much to worry about above and beyond jersey colors.

I personally like the navy stuff. I have a tendency to stain light-colored tops, so the navy works for me. I like the White and Gold for uniforms, but think the fans should wear whatever they want, as long as they show out for GT. However, I think there is way too much bitching and grumbling and yelling at clouds about what they're wearing and what we're wearing.

There are specific fonts that probably need to start volunteering in their retirement life because they have way too much time to complain about uniform colors and fan colors on a message board. There are those of us with less time to spend wading through all the nonsense to get to good GT information. So, please, can we just let it go? This last part probably should be in the other uniform color thread, but I don't feel like splitting the post into two different threads.

Love you all as fellow GT fans (fanatics). So, I hope no one gets their feelings hurt and turns nasty.