Petition to stop noon home games

Jmonty71

Banned
Petition to stop noon home games, will only work if GT can put three season together were they win more than 8 games... At that point we may get some 3:30PM kickoff games.... GT football needs to win more to get off this noon kickoff time slot... winning solves this!
Winning will make GT more attractive for the later kickoffs, but does not guarantee them.

coldbeer

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, that's why a good portion of our games have been at noon. We're fortunate to be on TV. I understand that some people don't like the times, but to see it as a sign of disrespect is simplistic and wrong. We don't command the best time slots, but we're a strong enough brand to get on TV. My point was that if we want to get the better time slots, then we as a fan base need to make sure we are prepared to be a fan base that can compete with the factories that do command those time slots. That takes money and presence.
Fortunate is not the word I'd use.... The TV contract dictates that all ACC FBALL gamed get televised, thru ESPN3 (minimally). ESPN needs to cultivate the contractually relationship with the non SEC partner leagues and teams and diversify all the kick times.

When 5-6 SEC games are evening kickoffs across the ABC/ESPN networks on one Saturday evening and there isnt a single ACC game on in the same timeframe, that's a problem.

Perhaps there should be some sort of limitations that prevent an individual team from being picked for more than 2 Noon/12:30 kickoffs per season and also guarantees at least one evening kickoff. Similar to how the networks can only use the 6 day kickoff time rule once or twice per year?

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Fortunate is not the word I'd use.... The TV contract dictates that all ACC FBALL gamed get televised, thru ESPN3 (minimally). ESPN needs to cultivate the contractually relationship with the non SEC partner leagues and teams and diversify all the kick times.

ACC Network, ESPN3, and ACCNExtra aren't really TV. Those are streamable, but they aren't live TV that anyone with a basic cable package can watch. Also, why would ESPN need to do that? They are the ones paying the money, they have no interest in fairness to leagues. They are all about the bottom line.

When 5-6 SEC games are evening kickoffs across the ABC/ESPN networks on one Saturday evening and there isnt a single ACC game on in the same timeframe, that's a problem.

Who is it a problem for? Us, because we don't like it? I'm sure the SEC isn't interested in giving up their time slots, so it's not a problem for them. Here's the problem. We expect the same results that teams with 80,000+ capacity stadiums, that are full every Saturday, and who pour money into their programs hand over fist because they have large, loyal, rabid fan bases, yet we don't do our part to bridge the gap. The ACC has exactly 3 programs on a par with the SEC in fanbase and two when it comes to attendance. Clemson and FSU draw 90k plus every Saturday and travel well. Miami suffers from its stadium problem, but draws TV viewers out the wazoo. VT is getting there. No other ACC program is even close. IF GT games drew viewers at the same clip that SEC teams did, we'd have the more coveted time slots.

Perhaps there should be some sort of limitations that prevent an individual team from being picked for more than 2 Noon/12:30 kickoffs per season and also guarantees at least one evening kickoff. Similar to how the networks can only use the 6 day kickoff time rule once or twice per year?

This would be great. If the ACC were in the position of the B1G or SECC to negotiate from a position of strength, then we could probably have done something similar. However, since we came to the table as the weakest TV draw of all 5 major conferences (In terms of team support, not media markets), we took what we could get, and it was widely speculated that our TV deal wasn't really all that great compared to the other conferences.

That being said, I consider it fortunate when we are on live, non-streamed TV even if it means a noon kickoff.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
ACC Network, ESPN3, and ACCNExtra aren't really TV. Those are streamable, but they aren't live TV that anyone with a basic cable package can watch. Also, why would ESPN need to do that? They are the ones paying the money, they have no interest in fairness to leagues. They are all about the bottom line.

Who is it a problem for? Us, because we don't like it? I'm sure the SEC isn't interested in giving up their time slots, so it's not a problem for them. Here's the problem. We expect the same results that teams with 80,000+ capacity stadiums, that are full every Saturday, and who pour money into their programs hand over fist because they have large, loyal, rabid fan bases, yet we don't do our part to bridge the gap. The ACC has exactly 3 programs on a par with the SEC in fanbase and two when it comes to attendance. Clemson and FSU draw 90k plus every Saturday and travel well. Miami suffers from its stadium problem, but draws TV viewers out the wazoo. VT is getting there. No other ACC program is even close. IF GT games drew viewers at the same clip that SEC teams did, we'd have the more coveted time slots.

This would be great. If the ACC were in the position of the B1G or SECC to negotiate from a position of strength, then we could probably have done something similar. However, since we came to the table as the weakest TV draw of all 5 major conferences (In terms of team support, not media markets), we took what we could get, and it was widely speculated that our TV deal wasn't really all that great compared to the other conferences.

That being said, I consider it fortunate when we are on live, non-streamed TV even if it means a noon kickoff.

^ An Inconvenient Truth. Wait, is that name already taken? But seriously, this is spot-on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will the ACC network change that, so that there will be more ACC games on in primetime? It it is a totally separate network from the SEC network, it would seem that would be the case. Sure hope so.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Will the ACC network change that, so that there will be more ACC games on in primetime? It it is a totally separate network from the SEC network, it would seem that would be the case. Sure hope so.

Short answer: maybe, but probably not.

This is simple math. Between ABC, CBS, Fox, ESPN, ESPN2, & ESPNU, there are slots for 12 teams at noon and 12 teams at 3:30. Add in the 8:00 games on a couple of those channels and that means that approximately 32 -34 teams get access to bigtime TV each Saturday. With the Thursday/Friday games, that brings the total to 36-38. The ACC network will most likely be a paid subscription, and will most likely showcase a game in each time slot. In essence, they are already doing that via streaming, so I don't see much change in scheduling patterns. Also, we'd much rather be on ESPN at noon than the ACC network at 3:30. At least, we would if building our brand is the main goal.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer

This is simple math. Between ABC, CBS, Fox, ESPN, ESPN2, & ESPNU, there are slots for 12 teams at noon and 12 teams at 3:30. Add in the 8:00 games on a couple of those channels and that means that approximately 32 -34 teams get access to bigtime TV each Saturday. With the Thursday/Friday games, that brings the total to 36-38. The ACC network will most likely be a paid subscription, and will most likely showcase a game in each time slot. In essence, they are already doing that via streaming, so I don't see much change in scheduling patterns. Also, we'd much rather be on ESPN at noon than the ACC network at 3:30. At least, we would if building our brand is the main goal.
The ACC network will be avaiable to just as many homes as the SEC network so no id much rather play at 330 than 12

Why do you think the ACC network will be a pay network? It will obviously be a pay network in the broader sense that the SEC network is (available cable packages), but I sure hope it's not a totally separate pay network. That doesn't do anybody any good.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Why do you think the ACC network will be a pay network? It will obviously be a pay network in the broader sense that the SEC network is (available cable packages), but I sure hope it's not a totally separate pay network. That doesn't do anybody any good.
Its most likely just gonna replace the ESPNNNEWS channel

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

It will most likely not be included in basic cable packages. You have to upgrade the service tier in order to include most channels like the SEC network. At least, you do over here. :)

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The ACC network will be avaiable to just as many homes as the SEC network so no id much rather play at 330 than 12

This is exactly the mindset I was referring to. Do you know who is going to tune into the ACC channel? Fans of one of the two teams playing, and maybe an ACC die-hard or two. The casual football fans we need to attract in order to build our brand will be watching one of the "big games" on the major channels. I'd much rather be on one of the major channels at noon than a channel no one but devoted fans is watching in prime time.

This is exactly the mindset I was referring to. Do you know who is going to tune into the ACC channel? Fans of one of the two teams playing, and maybe an ACC die-hard or two. The casual football fans we need to attract in order to build our brand will be watching one of the "big games" on the major channels. I'd much rather be on one of the major channels at noon than a channel no one but devoted fans is watching in prime time.

So you think that football fans tune in to certain games mainly based on what channel it’s on? Interesting.

It will most likely not be included in basic cable packages. You have to upgrade the service tier in order to include most channels like the SEC network. At least, you do over here. :)
Most people who love sports pay extra for the additional sports networks. I get all of them as part of my package, although it's not just the "basic" cable package. I end up paying for a lot of stations I have no interest in, but that's the way it works. Unless the local cable companies decline to include the ACC network in their sports packages, then it should be available.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Most people who love sports pay extra for the additional sports networks. I get all of them as part of my package, although it's not just the "basic" cable package. I end up paying for a lot of stations I have no interest in, but that's the way it works. Unless the local cable companies decline to include the ACC network in their sports packages, then it should be available.

YouTube TV is great. $40 per month and I don’t recall missing a single game last year that I wanted to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
So you think that football fans tune in to certain games mainly based on what channel it’s on? Interesting.

Casual fans watch typically watch what is played on the main channels. For instance, when I am home on a Saturday in the fall and GT isn't on TV, I typically watch what's on the main channels. I don't go searching to find a lesser matchup on a smaller, obscure channel. I mean, no one is searching for Syracuse-BC on channel 112 of there's a good matchup on one of the main channels. Unless you're a SU or BC fan.

Casual fans watch typically watch what is played on the main channels. For instance, when I am home on a Saturday in the fall and GT isn't on TV, I typically watch what's on the main channels. I don't go searching to find a lesser matchup on a smaller, obscure channel. I mean, no one is searching for Syracuse-BC on channel 112 of there's a good matchup on one of the main channels. Unless you're a SU or BC fan.
There are quite a few good, if not significant games that appear on channels other than the "main channels," if by "main channels," you mean ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX.