Petition to stop noon home games

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
This article will resonate with a lot of folks.

I get it.

The almighty dollar rules, and dictates.

Georgia Tech may have some small amount of input, but ultimately has no say in the final decision.

But I’ve risen at oh-dark-thirty way too many times, skipped a pre-game grilling opportunity because none of my crew wants to eat lunch at 10:30 a.m., and then sweated my butt off in the Lower East stands in 90-degree weather far too often to not have earned the right to complain about it.

Georgia Tech football games that are scheduled before 3:30 p.m., especially in September, suck.
I don’t think Stansbury lives in a bubble or has his head in the sand on this issue. I fully expect that he understands fan frustration over the early start times. I have no doubt the he would like to do everything possible to fill the seats in Bobby Dodd Stadium at Historic Grant Field for all games, regardless of start time. And I’m certain that fan experience is high on his list of things to improve.

But I also believe his hands are, for the most part, tied when it comes to game start times.

The ACC’s television partners – the ESPN family of networks, Fox Sports regional networks and Raycom – tell us when games will be broadcast. And they pay handsomely for the right to do so.
In this decade, Georgia Tech has played 53 games at Bobby Dodd Stadium. Twenty-seven of those games – just over 50 percent – have kicked off earlier than 1 p.m.

Hello Bowling Green at noon.

This article will resonate with a lot of folks.

Is there any other team in the country, or even in the ACC that has had more than 50% of their games start before 1PM in this decade? I don't consider this a badge of honor in the least. Actually, I think the larger problem, and the networks could resolve this easily IF THEY WANTED TO. is waiting till 2 weeks sometimes even only 1 week prior to the game to set the kickoff time. Having more advance notice than that would at least somewhat diminish the negative reaction to noonish games.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
But we do have advance notice: "Expect all your home games to be at noon...so you can get home in time to watch Wake Forest in prime time". Isn't that the standard formula for the entire season, every season?:rolleyes:

WF typically isn't on TV, iiuc.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I can't believe this stupid thread is still going. Of course, no one likes noon games, but GT has no control at all ever about this issue.

FWIW, thread length is a great barometer of fan interest in a particular subject. Like it or not, this is a "hot topic" for the fan base and it DOES affect attendance. We can stick our heads in the sand on this issue. But that doesn't make the problem go away.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There would be a better chance of Iranian authorities allowing women to go around without a hijab than the ACC,ABC or ESPN paying attention to this thread

I don't think anyone believes that the networks are interested in our home attendance. The issue boils down to this - either you think having good crowds/ticket revenue is important. Or you don't. I believe most of us feel like the former is correct. If you believe noon kickoffs do in fact hurt attendance (opinions vary on this) then you do everything in your power to influence the issue. Or you throw up your hands and say "IIWII". But I think pretending that it IS not an issue creates the appearance of being unaware or indifferent to an issue that resonates with some (not all) of the fan base.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I don't think anyone believes that the networks are interested in our home attendance. The issue boils down to this - either you think having good crowds/ticket revenue is important. Or you don't. I believe most of us feel like the former is correct. If you believe noon kickoffs do in fact hurt attendance (opinions vary on this) then you do everything in your power to influence the issue. Or you throw up your hands and say "IIWII". But I think pretending that it IS not an issue creates the appearance of being unaware or indifferent to an issue that resonates with some (not all) of the fan base.
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
FWIW, thread length is a great barometer of fan interest in a particular subject. Like it or not, this is a "hot topic" for the fan base and it DOES affect attendance. We can stick our heads in the sand on this issue. But that doesn't make the problem go away.

400+ replies to this thread doesn't make it go away either, but here we are...

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
400+ replies to this thread doesn't make it go away either, but here we are...

Augusta, as far as I know, participating in, or even looking at, a thread is not mandatory. If this is a topic which doesn't interest you, then why not ignore it?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Augusta, as far as I know, participating in, or even looking at, a thread is not mandatory. If this is a topic which doesn't interest you, then why not ignore it?

I never said the thread or the topic doesn't interest me, I stated posting in this thread doesn't make the problem go away. There seems to be this false dichotomy in that people who don't believe sending in a petition will solve the problem are therefore ardent supporters of noon games. When people point out the glaringly obvious reply to the point f this thread, they are immediately attacked as head in the sand grumps who love sweating out early starts. You replied in that vein, and I responded. I am pretty sure I wouldn't have bothered to post multiple times in this thread, much less reply to your assertion, if the thread didn't interest me.

Jmonty71

Banned
Using the logic put in here, the answer is simple Schedule WF and Syracuse every year and we'll have prime time games, right? :)

GTFLETCH

Banned
Petition to stop noon home games, will only work if GT can put three season together were they win more than 8 games... At that point we may get some 3:30PM kickoff games.... GT football needs to win more to get off this noon kickoff time slot... winning solves this!

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
If only we were engineers with the ability to use some root cause analysis, then we’d be able to complain about us not winning enough instead of the networks giving us noon kickoffs.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Petition to stop noon home games, will only work if GT can put three season together were they win more than 8 games... At that point we may get some 3:30PM kickoff games.... GT football needs to win more to get off this noon kickoff time slot... winning solves this!

Or start winning less so that they give WF and Cuse the TV slots and push us to 3:30 online only.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
NOT TRUE