Paul Johnson's job

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Blah blah blah blah blah

Some of you folks truly deserve Bill Lewis. Good luck bozos.
Oh NO
cover-those-eyes.jpg

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
They are not satisfied with up and down years with a school that has our disadvantages.

This is not an informed view. Tech has had plenty of down years ... Dodd had 5 years with 5 or fewer wins. The thing is, they cycled with every few years putting together a great team.

If Tech would achieve what Dodd delivered, at 69.6% winning percentage (which is damn good), we would be expected to win 7-8 games a year. Not to shabby for one of the top STEM schools in the world.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
I like Paul Johnson and he gives us the best chance to win with what we've got. You've heard this a dozens of times but it's true. Plus, some of you guys are just dreamers... bring this high profile coach or that. Like they'll come and even if they do, they'll jump ship as soon as they have a good season and the higher jobs come calling. Think of it this way... you can long for that top 10 ranking and be coveted in the national spotlight but unless you're Bama, you'll flirt with it for a season or two and then burn out rather quickly. Look at Mississippi State and where they are now... back to where they always were coming off of the 2014 season where they graced #1 for a number of weeks. Look at Auburn and ND... while Auburn is having a somewhat of a decent season, an 8 win season is not good enough for their spoiled fans... ND is in the crapper... it seems like they have this cycle of hiring a new coach and they do well for the first few years, then flame out big time. CPJ has given us two magical seasons with 11 wins, 2 ACC Championship games, 2 Orange Bowls and 1 top 10 finish. I was a freshman at Tech in 94. This means I saw Tech go 1-10 and all but one of my rat hat scores are upside down (okay, I was in the band). Set your expectations accordingly, appreciate what you already have, and lastly be careful what you wish for.

I like Paul Johnson and he gives us the best chance to win with what we've got. You've heard this a dozens of times but it's true. Plus, some of you guys are just dreamers... bring this high profile coach or that. Like they'll come and even if they do, they'll jump ship as soon as they have a good season and the higher jobs come calling. Think of it this way... you can long for that top 10 ranking and be coveted in the national spotlight but unless you're Bama, you'll flirt with it for a season or two and then burn out rather quickly. Look at Mississippi State and where they are now... back to where they always were coming off of the 2014 season where they graced #1 for a number of weeks. Look at Auburn and ND... while Auburn is having a somewhat of a decent season, an 8 win season is not good enough for their spoiled fans... ND is in the crapper... it seems like they have this cycle of hiring a new coach and they do well for the first few years, then flame out big time. CPJ has given us two magical seasons with 11 wins, 2 ACC Championship games, 2 Orange Bowls and 1 top 10 finish. I was a freshman at Tech in 94. This means I saw Tech go 1-10 and all but one of my rat hat scores are upside down (okay, I was in the band). Set your expectations accordingly, appreciate what you already have, and lastly be careful what you wish for.
Oregon, and to some extent Stanford now too.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Let me ask you something, and I'm not trying make it seem like you're obtuse here, but when was the last time you actually hung out in and around GT? I graduated in 2004, and GT today is totally different from even a decade ago. When I was at GT, you didn't really venture out beyond the 4 major roads that box GT in (North Ave, 10th St, Northside, 75/85 connector). As a student even during my time at GT, you either hung out at GT or left to visit friends at home or other college campuses. GT was pretty much dead outside of Greek life. You definitely did not want to wander outside of the GT campus after dark.

Today, social life is COMPLETELY different at GT. The Fraternities and Sorrorities use to be the center of GT's social life during my time there, I would say that if you are not part of the Greek system today, going to frat parties would be a fall back if you had nothing to do.

There use to be only a few spots GT students really went to close to campus (Rocky Mountain Pizza, Northside Tavern, etc.), but today you could probably find a different spot to go to everyday and still not make it to all the places by the end of the school year. Midtown between North Ave and 17th Street is booming with bars and restaurants. West Midtown has developed into a very unique area with the various establishments popping up there. If you visit the cluster of renovated homes between 10th and 14th street right across from campus, you'll find tons of house parties every weekend....and GT actively has campus police patrolling the area. GT also now owns "Olympic Village" on the other side of Smith Dorms (where I stayed as a frosh).

There may still be a "nerd" stigma associated with GT (though today "nerd" is actually a compliment due to tech billionaires), but as far as having a dead college social scene, that's just far from the truth. GT now is just like any other college. If you want the "college experience" it's there for you. You just need to step out of your dorm. I know when I was in school, downtown Athens was really popular to compare GT's social scene to (or lack thereof), but today the type social environment in and around GT dwarfs what UGA has in Athens. In fact, if I were at GT today, I would probably have a hard time concentrating on why I was actually at GT because now there may be TOO much to do. I haven't even touched on all the new clubs, events, and facilities available to GT students today that wasn't available when I was there.

If you don't follow GT recruiting, I'd urge you to look at some of the guys we're recruiting. Look at their reaction to the first time they actually step foot on campus. Their reaction is usually something along the lines of "GT is nothing like I thought it would be. I'm impressed!".
Imo, there are two subsets of recruits that we struggle to land and make major impacts for top programs.

The first is the factory 5 and 4 star athletes that actually qualify for GT. (And there's a bunch that don't, but I'm not even talking about them.) Many, if not most, of these guys seek something we don't offer: an easy road to hoe outside football. That is one thing we cannot give them and it's a biggie. There's another thing they crave that we'd be hard pressed to deliver, as well: FAME, ADORATION and a real chance for a NATTY. We have a small fanbase, we get little to no attention in the local media, much less nationally. Most of these guys have huge egos that need to be fed and we can't feed them.

The second is the small group of studly scholar athletes out there. Guys that are great football players and highly value an education. They typically go to a Stanford or a Notre Dame. First of all, we lack a diverse course offering. In addition to that, what we lack for their egos is PRESTIGE. Now I'm a GT grad and love my alma mater and I know we are highly regarded in certain circles around the globe. But that pales in comparison to the prestige offered by Stanford and ND. ND has the storied past and echos and all that bs that the kids, and more importantly their parents, eat up, too.

Yella-Britches

Georgia Tech Fan
Pretty sure the differences in those programs from GT have been addressed ad nauseam, but I agree Stanford's recent form is what we should aspire to (as would UGA for that matter).
Alright - I'm growing weary of the Stanford comparison. Stanford is a great institution - very difficult. BUT, Stanford offers many bachelor degrees in majors that will never be offered at Tech.
I met a former Stanford Line Backer at a local brew pup a few weeks back. He was playing when Luck was there. He's from Maryland and works for LinkedIn in DC now. Got his MBA from UVA. Clearly a smart, hard working guy. His major at Stanford was Ancient History.
ANCIENT HISTORY.
He told me that. He's proud of it. Taught him a lot about writing & communication..... I'm sure it was very rigorous and I'm sure that had he wanted to attend Georgia Tech he would not have had that major to choose from.

Not as close a comparison as you might think when you peel back the onion.

Go Jackets!!
THWG!!!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I didn't bring him up, was responding to Nuke's post

Yup. I was pointing out that CPJ's record is about the same as Chan's when measured objectively by single metrics. As to the quality of wins, the Power Ranking takes into account the Strength of Schedule. So does the end of year ranking. I know this is an inconvenient fact for some but it's factual. You can argue relevance by ACC championships or the like, but what I provided in the 112 Years comparison are objective facts.

I don't consider myself a CPJ hater. I used to be a CPJ lover and have become much more agnostic this year. I've also realized that what I think doesn't cause any changes and thus is ......

I think the "problem" is more with GT and the direction of CFB than with CPJ. But sometimes people want change just for change's sake like @Vespidae said. C'est la vie.

Just don't f*ck with our baseball program please. We are likely to do much better in the next two years than we have been doing.