Paul Johnson's job

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Let me ask you something, and I'm not trying make it seem like you're obtuse here, but when was the last time you actually hung out in and around GT? I graduated in 2004, and GT today is totally different from even a decade ago. When I was at GT, you didn't really venture out beyond the 4 major roads that box GT in (North Ave, 10th St, Northside, 75/85 connector). As a student even during my time at GT, you either hung out at GT or left to visit friends at home or other college campuses. GT was pretty much dead outside of Greek life. You definitely did not want to wander outside of the GT campus after dark.

Today, social life is COMPLETELY different at GT. The Fraternities and Sorrorities use to be the center of GT's social life during my time there, I would say that if you are not part of the Greek system today, going to frat parties would be a fall back if you had nothing to do.

There use to be only a few spots GT students really went to close to campus (Rocky Mountain Pizza, Northside Tavern, etc.), but today you could probably find a different spot to go to everyday and still not make it to all the places by the end of the school year. Midtown between North Ave and 17th Street is booming with bars and restaurants. West Midtown has developed into a very unique area with the various establishments popping up there. If you visit the cluster of renovated homes between 10th and 14th street right across from campus, you'll find tons of house parties every weekend....and GT actively has campus police patrolling the area. GT also now owns "Olympic Village" on the other side of Smith Dorms (where I stayed as a frosh).

There may still be a "nerd" stigma associated with GT (though today "nerd" is actually a compliment due to tech billionaires), but as far as having a dead college social scene, that's just far from the truth. GT now is just like any other college. If you want the "college experience" it's there for you. You just need to step out of your dorm. I know when I was in school, downtown Athens was really popular to compare GT's social scene to (or lack thereof), but today the type social environment in and around GT dwarfs what UGA has in Athens. In fact, if I were at GT today, I would probably have a hard time concentrating on why I was actually at GT because now there may be TOO much to do. I haven't even touched on all the new clubs, events, and facilities available to GT students today that wasn't available when I was there.

If you don't follow GT recruiting, I'd urge you to look at some of the guys we're recruiting. Look at their reaction to the first time they actually step foot on campus. Their reaction is usually something along the lines of "GT is nothing like I thought it would be. I'm impressed!".

I agree with everything you say. However, it doesn't matter what I think. The people you need to convince are the 16-18 year old young men we are recruiting. Whether you and I agree or not, the perception of GT that is often pushed by recruiting opponents is that you won't have nearly as much fun at GT as you would at U of xxxx. Their perception is our reality, so we need to work on changing that perception.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I agree with everything you say. However, it doesn't matter what I think. The people you need to convince are the 16-18 year old young men we are recruiting. Whether you and I agree or not, the perception of GT that is often pushed by recruiting opponents is that you won't have nearly as much fun at GT as you would at U of xxxx. Their perception is our reality, so we need to work on changing that perception.

If a recruit today doesn't see what most people in Atlanta and around the world see when they come to Atlanta, then that's a recruiting failure on the coaches doing the recruiting. While I was writing my last post, I was thinking to myself "How in the heck did those coaches recruit to GT back then?" I mean, outside of academics, there really wasn't much to sell recruits on at GT because GT was a pretty drab campus, and the surrounding area was scary to venture into after dark. It really is amazing how coaches like Ross, O'Leary, and even Gailey were able to sell GT during their time.

If kids today don't want to come to GT because of our offense, or because they actually have to be the "student" part as much as the "athlete" part in Student Athlete...that's one thing. Not going to GT because of "college experience" should not be one of the negatives used against us now unless GT is just doing a horrendous job of showing what's available to SAs in and around GT.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If a recruit today doesn't see what most people in Atlanta and around the world see when they come to Atlanta, then that's a recruiting failure on the coaches doing the recruiting. While I was writing my last post, I was thinking to myself "How in the heck did those coaches recruit to GT back then?" I mean, outside of academics, there really wasn't much to sell recruits on at GT because GT was a pretty drab campus, and the surrounding area was scary to venture into after dark. It really is amazing how coaches like Ross, O'Leary, and even Gailey were able to sell GT during their time.

If kids today don't want to come to GT because of our offense, or because they actually have to be the "student" part as much as the "athlete" part in Student Athlete...that's one thing. Not going to GT because of "college experience" should not be one of the negatives used against us now unless GT is just doing a horrendous job of showing what's available to SAs in and around GT.

In order to change that perception, you've got to get them to campus to begin with. How many never even give us a second thought? It's not all on the coaches.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
In order to change that perception, you've got to get them to campus to begin with. How many never even give us a second thought? It's not all on the coaches.

Like I said...check out our recruiting threads. We get a good amount of elite recruits on campus. You'd be surprised at how many elite recruits (in all sports not just football) come to GT just to hang out because of Atlanta. We even get current players/former GT recruits from other schools coming back to GT to hang out (see Donavaughn Campbell this weekend). It's on the coaches and our players to close.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Like I said...check out our recruiting threads. We get a good amount of elite recruits on campus. You'd be surprised at how many elite recruits (in all sports not just football) come to GT just to hang out because of Atlanta. We even get current players/former GT recruits from other schools coming back to GT to hang out (see Donavaughn Campbell this weekend). It's on the coaches and our players to close.

Campbell's older brother is playing at GT, but I get your point. Here is the thing. I live in the Augusta area. GT has a stigma as a "smart kids" or "nerd" school, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. But while you can tout the night life of the downtown area around it, you can't deny that classmates at GT will be VASTLY different than what you would find at U of xxxx. These things are important to some kids. I know, for instance, at least 5 kids (non-athletes) who turned down GT in order to go to bigger schools with "better atmosphere." Two of them are taking engineering at Clemson because they can 'have fun while they get a degree.' You can quote RoI stats to them all day, and they won't budge in their opinion. They wanted more in their four years at college than what they thought GT could offer. Both, BTW visited GT. They still opted for a party school in the middle of a cow town.

So you can call me obtuse, but that's the reality GT faces. Not just GT, but any academics first university.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Campbell's older brother is playing at GT, but I get your point. Here is the thing. I live in the Augusta area. GT has a stigma as a "smart kids" or "nerd" school, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. But while you can tout the night life of the downtown area around it, you can't deny that classmates at GT will be VASTLY different than what you would find at U of xxxx. These things are important to some kids. I know, for instance, at least 5 kids (non-athletes) who turned down GT in order to go to bigger schools with "better atmosphere." Two of them are taking engineering at Clemson because they can 'have fun while they get a degree.' You can quote RoI stats to them all day, and they won't budge in their opinion. They wanted more in their four years at college than what they thought GT could offer. Both, BTW visited GT. They still opted for a party school in the middle of a cow town.

So you can call me obtuse, but that's the reality GT faces. Not just GT, but any academics first university.

You are right. When I look at my extended large family primarily around the Atlanta area there are about 3 dozen family members and about half of them went to college. Only 3 went to GT, a nerd computer cousin (doing very well), my daughter, and myself. My experience was miserable, no fun, and the main goal to get out. My daughter had fun, played in the band during the NC era, and graduated first in her class. I can only think of two others who could have gotten into GT: one chose to be a Blue Hose on baseball scholly and the other stayed at home to be a Gamecock after developing cancer at 17. The others were UGA, Ga So, Kennesaw State or So Tech, Auburn, No Ga, Ole Miss, Miss College, Memphis State, Young Harris, Shorter, Charleston Baptist College, and W Ga; and non of these would have gotten in GT (and probably not gotten out with one or two exceptions). And I do not think any of those "others" would have even considered GT.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Johnson has been in their Top 30 all year but moved into the Top 10 this week.
They need to understand that there is no chance Johnson is gone after this season due to his contract (and shouldn't be even if the contract was not an issue) but it does point out the current national perception of his program and suggests that next year is going to be the most important year for GT football in a decade.

Either Johnson gets it turned around next season or I think Stansbury will make a change after next year.

http://coacheshotseat.com/chsblog/

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
You think Tech has changed since 2004? Try the 60s....LOL It was not particularly safe to venture out after dark back then either, but it was because of the "ghetto" surrounding it, and I'm not talking about a minority ghetto. Tech was on the edge of the Techwood Housing Development on the south and slums on the west. Most of the people in those areas were white, poor, and MEAN. O'Keefe HS was in its final years of existence, and the "O'Keefies" were nasty kids, not averse to causing trouble for Tech students, day or night. Fraternity life was probably the focus of most students, and I was a member of one for 2 years, before realizing it wasn't for me. Once I, or some of my friends, got cars, we were able to get away from the campus, and even back then there were some good and inexpensive restaurants to go to. There was definitely a lot more to do in Atlanta than there was in Athens. Back then Tech was pretty much still referred to as a factory, and it pretty much looked like one too. New, modern buildings and facilities started appearing on campus midway through my time there, but it was still not a very attractive campus. The changes on the Tech campus as well as in the surrounding areas are night-and-day different from what existed back then. And yet, in spite of all that, those of us who actually wanted to be there loved the place. I wouldn't exchange my 5 years at Tech (BS and MS) for anything in the world.

I was there in the late '80s / early '90s and also hung out at campus some throughout the '70s (attending games, football camp, or just hanging out with my dad who was doing experiments at the wind tunnel or doing research in the library). With the exception of SAC and some of the West Campus housing, the campus hadn't changed much from my dad's time there around 1960. I can't believe the amount of trees on campus now, and off campus as well (around North Avenue station). When I was at Tech, there were hardly any trees. But there was a ton more open space, as well as places to park. I remember when Rose Bowl Field was one long, gigantic, unobstructed field stretching from Ferst Drive all the way to 10th Street. You could have easily taken off and landed there in an ultralight aircraft.

The areas surrounding campus back then looked like a lunarscape. Lots of abandoned buildings and empty lots no one wanted to develop. After about five o'clock, Downtown pretty much shut down and became a ghost town. It was very dangerous, too, as you regularly heard gunshots at night coming from the Techwood projects and didn't always feel entirely safe, even on campus. Two people I roomed with were beaten up pretty badly by gangs of thugs outside the Home Park neighborhood off campus, and I had a friend in class whose brother was murdered nearby in a random (gang initiation?) shooting. Aggressive panhandlers were everywhere, and you had to run the gauntlet of them along North Avenue between campus and the Marta station.

Back in those days, there was a lottery system for housing. Freshmen were guaranteed a room, but after your freshman year, you had to enter a lottery for on-campus housing, and there wasn't enough for everyone. Such was the situation that Tech acquired one of the Techwood projects buildings on the corner of North Avenue and Techwood Drive for additional housing space, and it still wasn't enough to fill the need. It was called McDaniel Dorm, but most people on campus knew it simply as Techwood Dorm. It no longer exists; the twin dormitory towers that house GaState students was built atop that land. Even though Techwood Dorm was right off campus, it could still be dangerous there. A hallmate of mine witnessed a shooting across the street, and one afternoon a car smashed through the parking lot fence and on top of a student's jeep trying to elude cops during a high-speed chase. Both occupants got away on foot.

Sports success made it an otherwise fun time to be at Tech in those days, with Tech football and basketball doing well, not to mention the Atlanta Braves. But other than that, my time at Tech wasn't particularly enjoyable, given the rigors of academic life combined with the stresses of living downtown without a vehicle. It completely cured me of ever wanting to live in a big city again. There was also a big recession, with some of the brightest guys I ever knew getting 75, 80, even 100 flush letters from various companies before getting hired. The overall experience nearly quenched all the love for Tech I'd built up over my grade school and high school years... Still glad I was able to get in and get out with a diploma.

I was there in the late '80s / early '90s and also hung out at campus some throughout the '70s (attending games, football camp, or just hanging out with my dad who was doing experiments at the wind tunnel or doing research in the library). With the exception of SAC and some of the West Campus housing, the campus hadn't changed much from my dad's time there around 1960. I can't believe the amount of trees on campus now, and off campus as well (around North Avenue station). When I was at Tech, there were hardly any trees. But there was a ton more open space, as well as places to park. I remember when Rose Bowl Field was one long, gigantic, unobstructed field stretching from Ferst Drive all the way to 10th Street. You could have easily taken off and landed there in an ultralight aircraft.

The areas surrounding campus back then looked like a lunarscape. Lots of abandoned buildings and empty lots no one wanted to develop. After about five o'clock, Downtown pretty much shut down and became a ghost town. It was very dangerous, too, as you regularly heard gunshots at night coming from the Techwood projects and didn't always feel entirely safe, even on campus. Two people I roomed with were beaten up pretty badly by gangs of thugs outside the Home Park neighborhood off campus, and I had a friend in class whose brother was murdered nearby in a random (gang initiation?) shooting. Aggressive panhandlers were everywhere, and you had to run the gauntlet of them along North Avenue between campus and the Marta station.

Back in those days, there was a lottery system for housing. Freshmen were guaranteed a room, but after your freshman year, you had to enter a lottery for on-campus housing, and there wasn't enough for everyone. Such was the situation that Tech acquired one of the Techwood projects buildings on the corner of North Avenue and Techwood Drive for additional housing space, and it still wasn't enough to fill the need. It was called McDaniel Dorm, but most people on campus knew it simply as Techwood Dorm. It no longer exists; the twin dormitory towers that house GaState students was built atop that land. Even though Techwood Dorm was right off campus, it could still be dangerous there. A hallmate of mine witnessed a shooting across the street, and one afternoon a car smashed through the parking lot fence and on top of a student's jeep trying to elude cops during a high-speed chase. Both occupants got away on foot.

Sports success made it an otherwise fun time to be at Tech in those days, with Tech football and basketball doing well, not to mention the Atlanta Braves. But other than that, my time at Tech wasn't particularly enjoyable, given the rigors of academic life combined with the stresses of living downtown without a vehicle. It completely cured me of ever wanting to live in a big city again. There was also a big recession, with some of the brightest guys I ever knew getting 75, 80, even 100 flush letters from various companies before getting hired. The overall experience nearly quenched all the love for Tech I'd built up over my grade school and high school years... Still glad I was able to get in and get out with a diploma.

I lived in that very Techwood Dorm my entire freshman year of fall 1987-spring 1988. And yep, it was the dangerous AC-less hellhole you describe. Silver lining was Jr's Cafe was right beside it. But yeah, saw whores fighting their pimps, dodged empty crack vials and used needles on the way to class, and dealt with nearly-constant sirens from either cops or ambulances coming to the senior citizen's home right across the street.

Like you, I'll never live in any downtown of a major city again but like you, we were there for the best period of GT sports in history, given our football and Lethal Weapon III's success. I feel bad for today's student body (well, at least the ones who care about sports), having seen only one decent football season and absolutely nothing from our basketball program.

I lived in that very Techwood Dorm my entire freshman year of fall 1987-spring 1988. And yep, it was the dangerous AC-less hellhole you describe. Silver lining was Jr's Cafe was right beside it. But yeah, saw whores fighting their pimps, dodged empty crack vials and used needles on the way to class, and dealt with nearly-constant sirens from either cops or ambulances coming to the senior citizen's home right across the street.

Like you, I'll never live in any downtown of a major city again but like you, we were there for the best period of GT sports in history, given our football and Lethal Weapon III's success. I feel bad for today's student body (well, at least the ones who care about sports), having seen only one decent football season and absolutely nothing from our basketball program.
I lived in Techwood Dorm too for the first quarter of my Freshman year (1962). Fortunately, I was able to move to Smith Dorm the next quarter and for the remainder of my first two years. I don't remember seeing any trouble outside, but my roommate (I never knew him before we roomed together) created trouble in the dorm; he actually tried to set fire to the door to our room. I never figured that one out, and, needless to say, he didn't "get out" the way the rest of us did, but he DID get out....LOL

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
PJ is probably a decent guy away from football but he often comes across as a jack@$$ at his press conferences. I can see how several of the media don't like his demeanor when they are trying to get stories for their media outlets. He is his own worst enemy with the press. If he was winning 10 games a year, they would put up with it because of the interest. Right now we are struggling to get to 6 wins. He can be brutally honest at times and even charming sometimes but other times he can be downright condescending. I just wish he could get back to 10 wins and get a decent D for once. I think that is correlated.

JStewart2227

Jolly Good Fellow
I know that this has been a repeated thread but since we are bowl eligible goin in to this game against Georgia I believe in my opinion that even if we were to lose to UGA and the bowl game or split the games or win both I think that CPJ and Roof are safe at least through next season. I think with the money situation and the fact that the season hasn't been the best but hasn't been terrible I think that both coaches will be with us next year. Now next year I believe that we will have to win 9 maybe 10 games at least appear in the ACC champisonship game and win a bowl game for them to keep their jobs. If they don't i believe that they're out. I think that after this season the AD will go a full season with Johnson and let the money situation go down some and give hisself time to look at options. Honestly I think he's gone keep his eyes on candidates all the way until the end at next year and really have a plan on where to go if he fires CPJ and Roof. Instead of having to do it right now. He's a true TECH guy and is gone want to get us back to being a big contender. I hope and think we have a good chance to beat the mutts this year and win the bowl game and have a good next season but realistically I believe Johnson and Roof are gone after next season. And I believe before he retires Johnson will coach at southern again. I like Johnson I just think is time at Tech is coming to and end

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Time will tell.

Fans need to raise more $. Can not drive a Caddy on a Chevy budget.

That being said, if things do not start to turn this Saturday, CPJ (or anyone for that matter) can not complain that 10 seasons is not long enough.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
8-4 gets you 5th in the ACC coastal and 3rd in the SEC East. This is by and far the most conpetetitive the division has ever been at Johnsons tenure at Georgia Tech, much less the history of the ACC. Win or lose, it was a great season and we likely don't have to play 3 NFL first round QBs (Kayaa, Trubisky, Watson) next year. So that's nice. Every school in our divine out earns us and only Duke and Virginia Tech raise less money through boosters. We don't have the finances to compete and that's because we aren't the states recent number one brand (like Clemson, FSU, UNC).

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
As a Tech fan approaching six decades, when have you looked out there and said: "We have better athletes than those guys?" (Talking about the big boys) Maybe against Nebraska in 90, and another time or two for me personally.