Paul Johnson's job

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
You mean ... as an Alumnus ... I can't go to a HS and talk about the history of Tech, our success in graduating, and what it has done for me?

I went to these all the time and you don't even have to talk sports. Create Desire.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
You mean ... as an Alumnus ... I can't go to a HS and talk about the history of Tech, our success in graduating, and what it has done for me?

I went to these all the time and you don't even have to talk sports. Create Desire.

That is what my last comment was meant to say. If you go to the HS athletic department and talk GT sports you are under NCAA recruiting regs. If you talk GT academics and happen to mention sports no regs.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
When I was a kid, Auburn and Alabama alumni lived in the guidance office ... with all sorts of reasons a smart kid should attend either.

Dos Tech really excel here? Or just limp?

techman33908

Georgia Tech Fan
We are paying this guy 4m+ and Roof 750k and not getting our money's worth.Dump them both.Look at it for what it is:a business. How can we maximize profits and establish a better brand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
TL; DR we have the same admissions standards for athletes as uga

http://investigations.myajc.com/football-admissions/

Y'all are seriously over estimating georgia tech's academic hurdles. Long story short, they don't exist. WE have the SAME barriers as uga. We both have to follow the same rules for the USOG. Our football teams SAT scores are only 20 points higher then UGA, and ~100 points higher than southern and state. The only difference is how many waivers we get for letting in academically inelgible people. Tech lets in around 5 a year, uga lets in 10. We could do more, but we don't.
From your link -

Average SAT score
Tech - 1025 uga - 977 ------50 point difference

Average ACT score
Tech - 22 uga - 21-------ok not a big difference here, but I imagine less students took the ACT than the SAT

Highschool GPA
Tech - 3.11 uga - 3.10 (6 year weighted average) seem's kinda fishy, why don't they just give the team GPA for an accurate comparison?

I doubt the validity of the graduation comparisons as this article is from 2014; hasn't CPJ said the graduation rate is up to around 90%?

I also love how this article states 67% of our players are in the business program like its a bad thing - I think the business school is top 30.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Y'all are seriously over estimating georgia tech's academic hurdles. Long story short, they don't exist. WE have the SAME barriers as uga. We both have to follow the same rules for the USOG. Our football teams SAT scores are only 20 points higher then UGA, and ~100 points higher than southern and state. The only difference is how many waivers we get for letting in academically inelgible people. Tech lets in around 5 a year, uga lets in 10. We could do more, but we don't.

Fwiw, that both schools have to follow the USOG minimum requirements does not mean that GT doesn't have additional requirements. I'm not sure of the situation today, but I'm pretty sure that there were requirements/expectations of number of, and grades in, math and science classes in H.S. at Tech that were not present at u[sic]ga. For example, I think you have to come ready for a calculus equivalent math class (I know this used to be the case). I doubt that's true at u[sic]ga.

That being the case, your post and the article miss the real nature of Tech's academic hurdle: keeping them eligible through 3 to 5 years. I was probably pretty close to not making APR to graduate in 4 years after my first year. In fact, the number of traditional students who take 5 years to graduate speaks to challenge. I wish we had a measure of the average SAT scores of our upperclassmen. I suspect that there might be a higher correlation between early departures and academic preparation before Tech than is typically discussed.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

Dude, are you serious. Have you actually sat and listened to UGa recruits speak and then listened to GT recruits speak and you can conclude they are "the same"? Seriously? Are you a mutt?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
From your link -

Average SAT score
Tech - 1025 uga - 977 ------50 point difference

Average ACT score
Tech - 22 uga - 21-------ok not a big difference here, but I imagine less students took the ACT than the SAT

Highschool GPA
Tech - 3.11 uga - 3.10 (6 year weighted average) seem's kinda fishy, why don't they just give the team GPA for an accurate comparison?

I doubt the validity of the graduation comparisons as this article is from 2014; hasn't CPJ said the graduation rate is up to around 90%?

I also love how this article states 67% of our players are in the business program like its a bad thing - I think the business school is top 30.

Don't forget....Special Admits UGa 63 GT 31 MAJOR difference!!!!

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
Dude. Roof makes 750k a year. That is top 20 in all of ncaa football. We can do better. Les miles doesnt coach D ha.

Our OL coach makes almost 500k a year
That is top 5 or 10 in all of ncaa.

The fact is paul is our OC. His salary covers a coach and an OC.
We have budget to do better even as is

if your going to fib at least make it believable or at least read my post for info a bit better. i concede the point about les miles not coaching d. i did think he was a d coach much like saban. his availablity was why i brought his name up to begin with

but come on now give me a break. top 20 in all of college fb. either you are full of it or espn should get there 2015 data from YOU.

no crime in being wrong but you were off by only 64 spots.

Utah State

84. Mt. West Matt Wells $750,000 $2,900 $752,900 $770,000
http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

matt shell actually makes more than roof so TECH nically roof is at no 85.

ha.

now explain to all of us why we only have 4 spots helping with recruiting if we have the budget. and explain to us how cpj has limited our recruiting support staff to FOUR. he must be doing it on purpose?

ha! ;)

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
and since cpj is payed to be both head coach AND to coach the o that would mean that his salary of 2.8 million per years could reasonably be adjusted down to 2 million a year leaving us 800,000 for an assistant head coach for the offense.

given these coaches listed... which offensive coach would we want to replace cpj?

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant

ha!

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
and since cpj is payed to be both head coach AND to coach the o that would mean that his salary of 2.8 million per years could reasonably be adjusted down to 2 million a year leaving us 800,000 for an assistant head coach for the offense.

given these coaches listed... which offensive coach would we want to replace cpj?

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant

ha!
I like Texas A&M Offensive Coordinator Noel Mazzone

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
Btw. I do agree 4 doesnt cut. Needs to be 9-12.

This part here is where the school can help the AA by participating in some AA salaries as school headcount. Not for these 9, but for others in the department

you guys are the experts in all of this. im just a crabby old man who tries to play devil's advocate at times. i have nary a clue how gt the aa and the sports programs are intertwined with regard to salaries and budgets etc.

i do know that cpj seldom say much in public specifically. so when i read that we had 2 guys up until 2 years ago competing with the 30 at fsu clumpsin uga vt etc i was flabbergasted. i remember that when we let that one guy go we hired a former player that had been sending in resumes for YEARS.

maybe im wrong (im sure 33 will call me out hehe) but 1. arent we having a good recruiting year this year and 2. how long will it take the bump from 2-4 to show up in recruiting? keep in mind that cjp has been given 3-4 years to develop relationships and get recruiting on track! why would new staff be any different?

i guess my point IS couldnt the slight improvement be due to the increase of staff from 2-4? imagine what we could do with 2o on staff given the issue of diminishing returns?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
if your going to fib at least make it believable or at least read my post for info a bit better. i concede the point about les miles not coaching d. i did think he was a d coach much like saban. his availablity was why i brought his name up to begin with

but come on now give me a break. top 20 in all of college fb. either you are full of it or espn should get there 2015 data from YOU.

no crime in being wrong but you were off by only 64 spots.

Utah State

84. Mt. West Matt Wells $750,000 $2,900 $752,900 $770,000
http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

matt shell actually makes more than roof so TECH nically roof is at no 85.

ha.

now explain to all of us why we only have 4 spots helping with recruiting if we have the budget. and explain to us how cpj has limited our recruiting support staff to FOUR. he must be doing it on purpose?

ha! ;)

Dude. Ted roof is not a head coach. You need to compare him to other DC. Lol. I am laughing so hard that you didnt get that. You think for one second i thought ted roofs salary as a dc is top 20 for a head coach. Hahahahah. Hahahaha.

I am not wrong. You just missed the whole concept of context. Its within context of talking about assistants and salary. Lol. Still laughing

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
you guys are the experts in all of this. im just a crabby old man who tries to play devil's advocate at times. i have nary a clue how gt the aa and the sports programs are intertwined with regard to salaries and budgets etc.

i do know that cpj seldom say much in public specifically. so when i read that we had 2 guys up until 2 years ago competing with the 30 at fsu clumpsin uga vt etc i was flabbergasted. i remember that when we let that one guy go we hired a former player that had been sending in resumes for YEARS.

maybe im wrong (im sure 33 will call me out hehe) but 1. arent we having a good recruiting year this year and 2. how long will it take the bump from 2-4 to show up in recruiting? keep in mind that cjp has been given 3-4 years to develop relationships and get recruiting on track! why would new staff be any different?

i guess my point IS couldnt the slight improvement be due to the increase of staff from 2-4? imagine what we could do with 2o on staff given the issue of diminishing returns?

Your not a crabby old man u just have trouble with reading comprehension dude. Sorry.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
based on the current salaries we could get vvv for 800,00o . not even sure if he coaches o or not??????

20. Texas
Big 12 Vance Bedford $800,000 $500 $800,500

26. Georgia Tech
ACC Ted Roof $750,000 $0 $750,000

Oh looky looky. There it is. Ted roof 26. Ok so not top 20 overall. But close. Top 26. Lol smh. And definitely top 20 for defensive assistants as i stated.

33 right again

We can do better with those funds. Ted has to find the way to be the dep hair gel spokesperson not our dc