Paul Johnson's job

For someone who's talked a lot about bizness this week, that's pretty ignorant imo. He doesn't control the budget of the salary-paying organization.

The Groh hire and Roof hire were definitely influenced by budget. Neither were cpj first choices from what I've heard.
And that's why he said what he did after last week's loss.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Roof makes something akin to $750K. That is very respectable for a DC. Not a budget hire by any stretch. My sense is that it isn't the DC money where we are below budget but at the regular assistant level - the ones who actually do the grunt work of recruiting.

That was after a raise. I don't know what was up with that, but it was at the same time cpj got his contact extension.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
He has now coached 112 games at Tech with a 65-47 record. A .580 record at Tech isn't bad at all. Unless of course you consider that we were 67-45 in the previous 112 games before his arrival!

His record is at the heart of a debate on just how good of a coach he is - and whether or not he needs to be retained as coach. His supports will point to the fact that he has taken us to the Orange Bowl twice - winning one - and has delivered an ACC championship. He has done this in a conference that has dramatically improved from what it was when he took over in 2008. He also has the added burden of APR and recruiting restrictions that other GT coaches did not face.

He has graduated players at a fairly high rate and we don't have the kind of discipline issues that "dawg" so many other programs.

His detractors will point out that he has two losing seasons and our record setting 17 year bowl stretch ended during his tenure. And while the ACC was weaker before his arrival, CPJ has benefited from having two FCS opponents on his schedule each season. Gailey only had one FCS opponent in most seasons. In two of his seasons he had NO FCS opponents.

Meanwhile Duke, UNC, and Pitt have at least caught up with - if not exceeded our program. Miami and FSU are on a different level altogether, and Clemson is one of the best teams in the nation. We are 1-10 in the ACC since last season.

When you rate CPJ against other coaches in the conference he again falls short. For all of our talk about Clemson being a football factory it really isn't true. Clemson's program had been down for several years until Dabo arrived. His record is 81-27. In the previous 108 games Clemson was 67-41 - about what CPJ is at GT.

Cutcliffe's record at Duke 51-56. That doesn't sound all that great, unless you consider that Duke was 17-87 in their previous 107 games before his arrival. That is nothing short of a historic turnaround. He won more games in 2013 than Duke had won in EIGHT YEARS before his arrival.

Ultimately there is plenty of evidence to say that CPJ is a good coach that needs to be given every opportunity to turn the ship around, and there is plenty of evidence to say that he needs to be let go.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Roof makes something akin to $750K. That is very respectable for a DC. Not a budget hire by any stretch. My sense is that it isn't the DC money where we are below budget but at the regular assistant level - the ones who actually do the grunt work of recruiting.

No. 500k, iirc he started at 400 and is now 500k.....i could be mistaken

Wow what a waste of money

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
He has now coached 112 games at Tech with a 65-47 record. A .580 record at Tech isn't bad at all. Unless of course you consider that we were 67-45 in the previous 112 games before his arrival!

His record is at the heart of a debate on just how good of a coach he is - and whether or not he needs to be retained as coach. His supports will point to the fact that he has taken us to the Orange Bowl twice - winning one - and has delivered an ACC championship. He has done this in a conference that has dramatically improved from what it was when he took over in 2008. He also has the added burden of APR and recruiting restrictions that other GT coaches did not face.

He has graduated players at a fairly high rate and we don't have the kind of discipline issues that "dawg" so many other programs.

His detractors will point out that he has two losing seasons and our record setting 17 year bowl stretch ended during his tenure. And while the ACC was weaker before his arrival, CPJ has benefited from having two FCS opponents on his schedule each season. Gailey only had one FCS opponent in most seasons. In two of his seasons he had NO FCS opponents.

Meanwhile Duke, UNC, and Pitt have at least caught up with - if not exceeded our program. Miami and FSU are on a different level altogether, and Clemson is one of the best teams in the nation. We are 1-10 in the ACC since last season.

When you rate CPJ against other coaches in the conference he again falls short. For all of our talk about Clemson being a football factory it really isn't true. Clemson's program had been down for several years until Dabo arrived. His record is 81-27. In the previous 108 games Clemson was 67-41 - about what CPJ is at GT.

Cutcliffe's record at Duke 51-56. That doesn't sound all that great, unless you consider that Duke was 17-87 in their previous 107 games before his arrival. That is nothing short of a historic turnaround. He won more games in 2013 than Duke had won in EIGHT YEARS before his arrival.

Ultimately there is plenty of evidence to say that CPJ is a good coach that needs to be given every opportunity to turn the ship around, and there is plenty of evidence to say that he needs to be let go.
Great analysis. I get the sense that a separation between CPJ and GT football will come by the end of 2017, if not earlier. I think both are tired of each other.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I love this offense but it appears it may have finally defeated CPJ. Something just isn't working anymore both sides of the ball.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
?? We score 34 points that should win . Yes we have a problem on defense, maybe CPJ can spend some time with the defense like he did the OL.
But we keep finding ways to lose. Ok maybe his offense finally woke up today. But who knows next week the D may be awake and the offense asleep again. He needs to figure out why both sides are not having complete games

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
For someone who's talked a lot about bizness this week, that's pretty ignorant imo. He doesn't control the budget of the salary-paying organization.

The Groh hire and Roof hire were definitely influenced by budget. Neither were cpj first choices from what I've heard.

I can't say how GTAA does things. I've never worked for them.

But I have worked for Fortune 50 firms and there is always a contract of sorts .. what are you going to deliver and what do you need from us?

Is that not reasonable?

I guarantee one thing. If I was running GTAA, we would be Top 25.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Are you naive? He owns the "results". And yes, I've had to argue, beg, and show why building a better staff provides a benefit. Or facilities. Or whatever is needed.

Whining requires no skill.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Are you naive? He owns the "results". And yes, I've had to argue, beg, and show why building a better staff provides a benefit. Or facilities. Or whatever is needed.

Whining requires no skill.

Well, you've certainly proved your last point. I concede it.

techdad

Jolly Good Fellow

CPJ has to let go of his ego and make some changes to the offense. I'm not saying a complete change, but to tweek it. Let the TO be 70% of the offense and 30% a new "look" offense. Many of our plays can still be run in different offensive sets. It creates more work for opposing teams to get ready for us.