Paul Johnson's job

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Expecting to beat Clemson, or any other legitimate program, every year would be stupid. Even true for Bama's fans. If you don't spend like the big boys its just more stupid.

3Bees

Georgia Tech Fan
See first post in the Pittsburgh game week for the exact quote from CPJ and context.
I agree with Johnson on all his statements including the last about commitment and the expectation of beating Clemson or teams like them. We may not want to hear the truth, we may not want the truth said in front of others, but it is still the truth. You want to talk about commitment and complaining about it. Let's start by looking at the stands and seeing the embarrassingly high number of Clemson, Miami (I think they had more at Tech than at Miami games), UGA, and FSU fans that come to our games. It is a disgrace. How many Georgia Southern fans will pack our stadium? How are we suppose to recruit players when half the stadium is filled with opposing teams fans?

Then look at Tech booking a cheap flight to Ireland and the coach having to pitch a fit. We have done well in some areas (indoor facility) but we are not keeping up with the top teams. So to his point if the commitment is not there then how can you expect to beat those teams? If we were like South Carolina for all those years filling the stadium when they had mediocre football well then we could complain about our coach complaining. But we as a fan base and administration need to look in the mirror.

We have a good coach. We have had good coaches (and they usually leave at some point). What we need is as much commitment to excellence in football as we give to our academics. People like to point to Stanford. Well Stanford stunk for a very long time. They clearly though decided to make the commitment. They built a new stadium as proof. If we want to win and demand 10 or more wins a year lets start by filling the stadium.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I agree with Johnson on all his statements including the last about commitment and the expectation of beating Clemson or teams like them. We may not want to hear the truth, we may not want the truth said in front of others, but it is still the truth. You want to talk about commitment and complaining about it. Let's start by looking at the stands and seeing the embarrassingly high number of Clemson, Miami (I think they had more at Tech than at Miami games), UGA, and FSU fans that come to our games. It is a disgrace. How many Georgia Southern fans will pack our stadium? How are we suppose to recruit players when half the stadium is filled with opposing teams fans?

Then look at Tech booking a cheap flight to Ireland and the coach having to pitch a fit. We have done well in some areas (indoor facility) but we are not keeping up with the top teams. So to his point if the commitment is not there then how can you expect to beat those teams? If we were like South Carolina for all those years filling the stadium when they had mediocre football well then we could complain about our coach complaining. But we as a fan base and administration need to look in the mirror.

We have a good coach. We have had good coaches (and they usually leave at some point). What we need is as much commitment to excellence in football as we give to our academics. People like to point to Stanford. Well Stanford stunk for a very long time. They clearly though decided to make the commitment. They built a new stadium as proof. If we want to win and demand 10 or more wins a year lets start by filling the stadium.
This. 100 f'ing percent!!!

Then look at Tech booking a cheap flight to Ireland and the coach having to pitch a fit
Tech is not the one who booked a cheap flight. The people in Ireland made that original booking. After realizing what a joke that was, then Tech did something about it on their own. Get your facts straight.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Tech is not the one who booked a cheap flight. The people in Ireland made that original booking. After realizing what a joke that was, then Tech did something about it on their own. Get your facts straight.

I'm not buying into this one completely, sorry. Tech may not have initiated it but the idiot AD was willing to roll with it initially.

3Bees

Georgia Tech Fan
I only know what I read about. Maybe what I read was wrong. Either way something happened that annoyed Johnson. So why did it happen? Why would the people in Ireland book the flight? Wouldn't the people in Ireland book the flight with the company the is sponsoring the game and not a cut rate outfit?

I only know what I read about. Maybe what I read was wrong. Either way something happened that annoyed Johnson. So why did it happen? Why would the people in Ireland book the flight? Wouldn't the people in Ireland book the flight with the company the is sponsoring the game and not a cut rate outfit?
The people in Ireland apparently made and paid for all the arrangements for the game.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I honestly don't see our recruiting getting to the point of where the fans want without getting more degree options and easier ones without having to take calculus lol. However we can get better at recruiting by getting better facilities, fans in the seats, more staff, and just overall get more involved with the program imo. Cpj is a very good coach and there has been years where if we had a better D we would have had a better record, but could you imagine if we took our rankings into the top 25 consistently ? I believe with the system we have we would be a top team year in and year out. Hopefully with the new AD we can get cpj and the staff some help and do some upgrades ect to help grow this program.

techman33908

Georgia Tech Fan
Johnson can't recruit 4 star atheletes and everybody is on to his offensive schemes.We haven't had a plus defense in years. Let's dump him asp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnson can't recruit 4 star atheletes and everybody is on to his offensive schemes.We haven't had a plus defense in years. Let's dump him asp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So how many 4-star athletes has Tech ever recruited? Very few, in fact, but Johnson probably has recruited as many as any previous coach did without getting Tech into trouble. Everybody is on to EVERY COACH's offensive schemes. SHEESH

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
With Tech's academic hurdles, the institute would reasonably have to spend more on athletics than the factories do to compete with them. Kinda like Oregon did (Oregon didn't have Tech's academic hurdles but they had others that were overcome with $$$$&$$)

As for filling the stadium, that is more difficult than raising funds to compete IMO. I'm not certain the only way to improve this is for Tech fans to have twice, or thrice, as many kids as we do.

3Bees

Georgia Tech Fan
If memory serves me Johnson's recruiting is not worse than Gaileys and may be slightly better ranking wise. Either way neither was great in regards to the ranking. That is not because of his offense. It is because as we all know Tech requires a 2.5 while others schools (ahem UGA) require a 2.0. That cuts our pool down significantly. Add in limited majors and fans who don't fill the stadium and it is not hard to see why recruiting cannot be compared to other schools like Clemson, UNC, Louisville, UGA, and the list goes on.

Regarding filling our stadium. I tend to think the economy and the added price of paying into the fund has hurt our sales. But you know what there are alternatives. I for example sit in section 101. No extra fee for those tickets. Or you can do like my dad. He never buys season tickets but goes to most games by buying tickets on the street. He is probably the cheapest man I know so I am sure he never pays face value. If you don't have family obligations and are just sitting at home watching football anyway then there really is no excuse to not go down and support the team.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer

I can agree with this. I mean even in 2014 when the team was doing well, I remember the stands not being full. Also this whole thing of students not showing till almost the 2nd quarter needs to change especially on big TV games.
The other big thing is that a lot of fans have grown tired of CPJs offense and don't find it exciting. Right now it goes both ways, fans need to step up and support the team and CPJ needs to correct the product on the field.

I am tired of seeing us lose games that were easily winnable a few years ago, games that were lost due to execution and penalties. As a fan I will continue to support the team, but if we finish the season again not doing well due to coaching issues, execution, penalties then I'm ready to see something new.

Scubapro

Banned

Tech hasnt changed their approach to football in the last 45 years. Changing coaches will not change anything unless the administration decides to make it happen. The reason for our lack of success is thr lack of commitment from the faculty and axministratiin

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Tech hasnt changed their approach to football in the last 45 years. Changing coaches will not change anything unless the administration decides to make it happen. The reason for our lack of success is thr lack of commitment from the faculty and axministratiin

What should the faculty and administration do differently?