Paul Johnson Zings Kirby Smart....and raises a question

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Still odd that they would have repped that obscure play to the point that Kirby indicated they had in my opinion.

I haven't heard the exact quote but imo it's entirely possible that a coach would refer to preparing for the standard rocket toss that this play was based off of. Pretty much every offense has a version of motion one way, pass back to QB the other. It's really not that obscure of a play when you look at it as a fairly easy trick off a normal play.

LibertyTurns

Banned
The UGA fans in the comments sure took it as one. I haven't heard the press conference or interview. So, the article is all I've seen. But, I'm guessing we wouldn't love it if an opposing coach referred to Paul as "The guy over on North Avenue."

Then, there's Paul's sense of humor. He may have been blipping on Kirby's name just in that second. May not have been.
I'm positive he did it on purpose. You think as quick as CPJ is on his feet he didn't have this in the bag ready to release ahead of time?

Jay Alexander

Jolly Good Fellow
Seeing that pic just gives me a renewed appreciation for QS's playmaking ability. If you saw that pic and were told it was 3rd and goal, who would've bet we scored???
Looking at that picture, I would have guessed Qua passed it to Thomas as a screen pass and Thomas went up the sideline to score. What you can't see in that pic is that every defender in the middle flows outside. What a play.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I haven't heard the exact quote but imo it's entirely possible that a coach would refer to preparing for the standard rocket toss that this play was based off of. Pretty much every offense has a version of motion one way, pass back to QB the other. It's really not that obscure of a play when you look at it as a fairly easy trick off a normal play.
Maybe, but listen to it and then decide. Seems a little more than just a rep or two one day during the week. The way he spoke about it was suspicious to me. Tough to keep everything under wraps that you gameplan during the week. I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't gotten a heads up. Paul didn't seem too worried about it though.

Foxyg

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think anything was meant by it. He'll often say stuff like "those cats at Virginia Tech" or something to that effect, or the "Quarterback at Duke" or "number 70 for Pitt." In pressers he just doesn't refer to people by their name.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Wasn't it a designed backward pass? If it was, Klock had to stay behind JT due to the heat at the LOS and JT being forced back. I wasn't sure when watching so maybe someone can clarify.

IMO you are correct. He moved backward as he should to stay eligible for the lateral as he was not eligible for a forward pass. It would have worked better if Justin was not pressed so far backward and if the blocks had been better. Also give some credit to the uga defense who left somebody at home on that side of the field.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Nope. I skimmed the article while on a meeting so I missed that quote.

For some reason i recall seeing this play. Gosh hard to believe it was tevin but maybe. I still think we did this play recently maybe 2014

But you guys can say something was leaked...it may have been. But coaches do trick play cutups covering years of plays they note and have a session covering during a week of practice and the offseason. All i am saying is this could be the case here and not necessarily leaked info.

Coaches have GA do cutups covering 2-3 years. If we ran this play lets say in 2014. It makes the cut up. Even if only run once. They keep the tape around to review again the next year. So you always have the book carry over. I am sure this was in their archives.

We have like 3-4 trick plays. We have the pass back. A reverse. The tackle play. Maybe a couple more. All of these woulda made the cutup....its just how you break down tape.

Again sure it could be leaked. But it just as well woulda made tape
But how often have we run a trick play inside the ten?

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Since you brought it up, that Tackle Eligible play is getting entirely too much criticism because it didn't work. (In fact, on the radio show that week someone requested it.) The play failed because A) Trey Klock backpeddled way too far, B) Freddie Burden completely whiffed on his key block, and Braun didn't hold his block long enough. Burden especially could've given that play a chance for a first down.
I agree.That play was NOT done well. (unlike the pitt play to a tackle, hmmm)

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Almost certainly someone allowed to visit during practice session. If Tech is smart they will keep a log of all visitors. That would help narrow down the search for the "culprit".

Also have to be ever vigilant against drones nowadays. Time to cover rose bowl field?
Once upon a time I would have laughed at the black helicopter reference, so to speak. But that was once upon a time. You're right.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Almost certainly someone allowed to visit during practice session. If Tech is smart they will keep a log of all visitors. That would help narrow down the search for the "culprit".

Also have to be ever vigilant against drones nowadays. Time to cover rose bowl field?
i believe that at least at all major programs a strict limit to practice is observed, with a log of those permitted to enter kept by the guard on the gate. And other than open practices, nobody else is admitted.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if they had inside info or not, but I do know that if the QB is going downfield on the backside of the play then something unusual must be up. Someone even pointed out on one of the radio shows this season that Justin doesn't always carry out the play fake after he hands off. As soon as Qua stopped I think everyone knew it was a pass then, but the defenders had already started bailing toward Thomas.

As far as an A-back passing back to the QB, I don't ever remember us running that since CPJ has been here, but I could be wrong. I've been told that I don't always remember everything.
You are right about part of it, but Smart said they practiced against the play "all week". That'll teach 'em.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Did you not read the quote from JT in the article saying he had never run that play at Tech? I don't remember him running it with previous QBs either, but even if he has run it once or twice in the last 8 years, it is legitimately odd that UGA would "rep it all week" per Kirby Smarts quote.
It's hard enough at Tech to get a QB who can throw. Never mind the A backs.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Since you brought it up, that Tackle Eligible play is getting entirely too much criticism because it didn't work. (In fact, on the radio show that week someone requested it.) The play failed because A) Trey Klock backpeddled way too far, B) Freddie Burden completely whiffed on his key block, and Braun didn't hold his block long enough. Burden especially could've given that play a chance for a first down.
We ran it against Georgia, I think, in '08 or '09. Converted tight end to tackle -- Barrett ring a bell? -- he caught it and immediately decided he was Swivel Hips Malone and didn't get the first down. Johnson was about as mad on the sideline as I've seen him and the poor kid was lucky to survive his verbal blast.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
We ran it against Georgia, I think, in '08 or '09. Converted tight end to tackle -- Barrett ring a bell? -- he caught it and immediately decided he was Swivel Hips Malone and didn't get the first down. Johnson was about as mad on the sideline as I've seen him and the poor kid was lucky to survive his verbal blast.

Barrett does not ring a bell. But Austin Barrick sure does.

Lol at Swivel Hips Malone.

PJ's mother would have been very upset at the language he used on national TV. :ROFLMAO:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
@RedPete01 @alagold - it was a throw-back.

I know it's been said, but just to be clear, we need 5 linemen wearing numbers that make them ineligible to receive forward passes. So, every time we've thrown a "pass" to a tackle like Barrick, Beno or Klock, it has been backwards.

Typically, it's pretty quick and not far behind the line, but the pressure on our QB was so great that it pushed JT back, and Klock actuallly did a great job staying behind him.

Fwiw, the other similar play we've run is when we cover-up a WR in the slot on the line. We often do it to draw an extra defender to the field so we can run an option to the boundary. However, if the don't cover him, then he can drop back to receive a backward pass as well. We did that with Jeaune in one game.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
@RedPete01 @alagold - it was a throw-back.

I know it's been said, but just to be clear, we need 5 linemen wearing numbers that make them ineligible to receive forward passes. So, every time we've thrown a "pass" to a tackle like Barrick, Beno or Klock, it has been backwards. ....

Right so it was not a "Tackle Eligible" play like someone initially said earlier. It was just a designed lateral to a tackle. I take back the part about Klock backpeddling too far, but still say Burden's whiffed block was key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk