Paul Johnson Zings Kirby Smart....and raises a question

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Doubtful it was a designed lateral since there were blockers downfield meaning Klock couldn't pass, but then again they were still close to the LOS, so maybe. (Click the link and watch again). Either way my point is that Burden was mostly to blame for that failed Tackle Eligible play, not the playcall.
It had to be a backward lateral. There is no tackle-eligible play in college football. The only way Klock could catch the ball is if it were

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I rather like the symmetry of Kirby - the guy from Georgia - Smart and the University (sic) of Georgia. I think we can make it stick.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
They were there, we are lucky we did not force the throw to Thomas. I'd say they did a pretty good job defending it. Qua just wanted it more.
I tend to think you create your own luck through preparation. Johnson told him prior to the play to make sure he was open. Reminds me of our field goal try on 3rd down under O'Leary. Everyone talked about how lucky we were. I sure wouldn't bring it up if that blocked kick had been on 4th down. THWG

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I tend to think you create your own luck through preparation. Johnson told him prior to the play to make sure he was open. Reminds me of our field goal try on 3rd down under O'Leary. Everyone talked about how lucky we were. I sure wouldn't bring it up if that blocked kick had been on 4th down. THWG
Bobby Dodd, from whom all great GT football flows, routinely quick kicked and went for FGs on third down, as have other coaches so it is nothing dramatically innovative or different.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
@Skeptic

It does seem painfully obvious to do so in that situation but I for one had never seen a coach decide to kick on 3rd down prior to that instance. Dodd quit coaching long b4 I came along. I know just because I hadn't seen it doesn't mean it wasn't happening elsewhere.

Even so O'Leary chose to do it mostly in case of a bad snap etc. No one could have predicted the blocked kick. The genius of the play resided within the Goose's heads up play, catching and advancing the blocked kick. That game scarred the mutts and that scar hasn't faded.:D

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
@Skeptic

It does seem painfully obvious to do so in that situation but I for one had never seen a coach decide to kick on 3rd down prior to that instance. Dodd quit coaching long b4 I came along. I know just because I hadn't seen it doesn't mean it wasn't happening elsewhere.

Even so O'Leary chose to do it mostly in case of a bad snap etc. No one could have predicted the blocked kick. The genius of the play resided within the Goose's heads up play, catching and advancing the blocked kick. That game scarred the mutts and that scar hasn't faded.:D

In the "old" days kicking on third down was not uncommon as the D usually dominated the game. Now with the offenses much more able to pick up yardage and first downs the third down kick has lost its strategic advantage. An exception would be a winning field goal attempt where the coach had lost his confidence in the O (such as maybe an injury to the only proven QB or if there was a question about the snapper or holder).

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Bobby Dodd, from whom all great GT football flows, routinely quick kicked and went for FGs on third down, as have other coaches so it is nothing dramatically innovative or different.
Actually,based on poor clock management and poor decisions by other coaches under pressure, I am happy for the results. I am glad to have a less innovative but victorious PJ.