Paul Johnson Zings Kirby Smart....and raises a question

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Almost certainly someone allowed to visit during practice session. If Tech is smart they will keep a log of all visitors. That would help narrow down the search for the "culprit".

Also have to be ever vigilant against drones nowadays. Time to cover rose bowl field?

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This interview posted late last night on AJC.com. How did the Doggies come to be thinking about that Quarterback Throw-back play?

http://www.ajc.com/sports/college/p...ndal-zing-kirby-smart/vnOQGeDYTj9PPixMpZ50uJ/

I don't know if they had inside info or not, but I do know that if the QB is going downfield on the backside of the play then something unusual must be up. Someone even pointed out on one of the radio shows this season that Justin doesn't always carry out the play fake after he hands off. As soon as Qua stopped I think everyone knew it was a pass then, but the defenders had already started bailing toward Thomas.

As far as an A-back passing back to the QB, I don't ever remember us running that since CPJ has been here, but I could be wrong. I've been told that I don't always remember everything.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
They were there, we are lucky we did not force the throw to Thomas. I'd say they did a pretty good job defending it. Qua just wanted it more.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Paul has run this with jet other years. Its totally reasonable to assume uga watched cut ups from multiple years and this was a trick play on their board.

Article title is a total media hype action. Lame.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Dwags cheat eh? That would certainly explain how they managed to win COFH in 6 of the past 8 years. Well to be fair you can throw out '11, but still Georgia has often looked like they defend Tech a little too well.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Paul has run this with jet other years. Its totally reasonable to assume uga watched cut ups from multiple years and this was a trick play on their board.

Did you not read the quote from JT in the article saying he had never run that play at Tech? I don't remember him running it with previous QBs either, but even if he has run it once or twice in the last 8 years, it is legitimately odd that UGA would "rep it all week" per Kirby Smarts quote.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer

For anyone who actually read the article, you noticed that Justin ends up saying that they haven't run the play in his years there. So again the question would be-- why were the dogs practicing against it all week?

I'm pretty inclined to take his word.

As for tweaking Kirby, there's not only "the" question-- but also he called him "the guy up in Athens."

Last edited:

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
I've seen us run this one other time, in 2010 against VT. It was late in the game: a 4th and 3 or something, the camera was zoomed in on PJ, and part of his playcall was obscured but I could clearly see him say, "blah blah blah ... halfback throwback". I got excited, but the exact same thing happened - pitch to Roddy, the throwback wasn't there to Tevin, Roddy runs it up the middle. I think he dove over a defender.

Um, CPJ ... don't run that play or the Tackle Eligible play ever again. :)

Honestly, I feel like Kirby was talking about the toss play and it's only natural for the backside player to watch the QB. Same thing on a toss play from the I-Formation; QB wheels and pitches, then rolls the other way. The backside DE or whoever needs to contain the QB, so I'm sure that was part of their repping against the toss. If you think about it in that context, what Kirby says makes total sense. I think this whole thing is getting blown out of proportion.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
Back in 2014, in that horrid loss to Duke when CPJ put Byerly in to finish the last eight minutes of the game -- darned if Byerly didn't lead Tech to a couple of TDs and cut the final margin from 12-31 to 25-31 -- Tech used the throwback to the QB in that game. B.J. Bostic threw to Byerly, and Byerly made the catch and some nice yards after the catch for a 15-yard gain. That time, I believe, is the last time CPJ called for a throw back to the QB.

So yeah, I thought it real curious when Smart said the Dawgs had prepped so much for it, because (1) that play is no staple for Tech, and (2) the last time Tech ran it, Thomas wasn't in at QB two years ago. Yet the Dawgs certainly had Thomas covered on that play.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Um, CPJ ... don't run that play or the Tackle Eligible play ever again. :)

Since you brought it up, that Tackle Eligible play is getting entirely too much criticism because it didn't work. (In fact, on the radio show that week someone requested it.) The play failed because A) Trey Klock backpeddled way too far, B) Freddie Burden completely whiffed on his key block, and Braun didn't hold his block long enough. Burden especially could've given that play a chance for a first down.

Last edited:

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Did you not read the quote from JT in the article saying he had never run that play at Tech? I don't remember him running it with previous QBs either, but even if he has run it once or twice in the last 8 years, it is legitimately odd that UGA would "rep it all week" per Kirby Smarts quote.

Nope. I skimmed the article while on a meeting so I missed that quote.

For some reason i recall seeing this play. Gosh hard to believe it was tevin but maybe. I still think we did this play recently maybe 2014

But you guys can say something was leaked...it may have been. But coaches do trick play cutups covering years of plays they note and have a session covering during a week of practice and the offseason. All i am saying is this could be the case here and not necessarily leaked info.

Coaches have GA do cutups covering 2-3 years. If we ran this play lets say in 2014. It makes the cut up. Even if only run once. They keep the tape around to review again the next year. So you always have the book carry over. I am sure this was in their archives.

We have like 3-4 trick plays. We have the pass back. A reverse. The tackle play. Maybe a couple more. All of these woulda made the cutup....its just how you break down tape.

Again sure it could be leaked. But it just as well woulda made tape

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I'm probably in the minority with a few others... I don't see how this is a "zing". The comment about the "the guy from Georgia" struck me as CPJ not remembering Kirby's name off the cuff/not caring enough to think about it/a slight sign of disrespect. That's about it.

This reaction from UGA fans warms my heart: This is what being 0-1 against Georgia Tech gets you.

We also ran this play in the 2012 ACC Championship game. Synjyn Days in the box score with an INT forcing the throw to Tevin Washington. Others have pointed out it's been run before that. Does it matter that it wasn't run by JT? I would think the play is more likely to be run with more time in between attempts. Yea, maybe Kirby got an inside tip, but there may be reasons he repped the play otherwise. The dawgs were prepared, it didn't work out for them, and I'm happy about it.