Paul Johnson Zings Kirby Smart....and raises a question

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Since you brought it up, that Tackle Eligible play is getting entirely too much criticism because it didn't work. (In fact, on the radio show that week someone requested it.) The play failed because A) Trey Klock backpeddled way too far, B) Freddie Burden completely whiffed on his key block, and Braun didn't hold his block long enough. Burden especially could've given that play a chance for a first down.
Wasn't it a designed backward pass? If it was, Klock had to stay behind JT due to the heat at the LOS and JT being forced back. I wasn't sure when watching so maybe someone can clarify.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Nope. I skimmed the article while on a meeting so I missed that quote.

For some reason i recall seeing this play. Gosh hard to believe it was tevin but maybe. I still think we did this play recently maybe 2014

But you guys can say something was leaked...it may have been. But coaches do trick play cutups covering years of plays they note and have a session covering during a week of practice and the offseason. All i am saying is this could be the case here and not necessarily leaked info.

Coaches have GA do cutups covering 2-3 years. If we ran this play lets say in 2014. It makes the cut up. Even if only run once. They keep the tape around to review again the next year. So you always have the book carry over. I am sure this was in their archives.

We have like 3-4 trick plays. We have the pass back. A reverse. The tackle play. Maybe a couple more. All of these woulda made the cutup....its just how you break down tape.

Again sure it could be leaked. But it just as well woulda made tape
Still odd that they would have repped that obscure play to the point that Kirby indicated they had in my opinion.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Qua is the exception with these trick non-QB throws. Nice head's up by him to analyze the situation and make something with his legs as opposed to forcing it. Usually the WR/AB is so amped at throwing the ball they end up forcing it and it gets intercepted. Happened with Synjyn, Corey Dennis, and Deandre Smelter. I'm OK with never seeing this again...though Qua's play will make for a great memory through the years.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Nope. I skimmed the article while on a meeting so I missed that quote.

For some reason i recall seeing this play. Gosh hard to believe it was tevin but maybe. I still think we did this play recently maybe 2014

But you guys can say something was leaked...it may have been. But coaches do trick play cutups covering years of plays they note and have a session covering during a week of practice and the offseason. All i am saying is this could be the case here and not necessarily leaked info.

Coaches have GA do cutups covering 2-3 years. If we ran this play lets say in 2014. It makes the cut up. Even if only run once. They keep the tape around to review again the next year. So you always have the book carry over. I am sure this was in their archives.

We have like 3-4 trick plays. We have the pass back. A reverse. The tackle play. Maybe a couple more. All of these woulda made the cutup....its just how you break down tape.

Again sure it could be leaked. But it just as well woulda made tape

I still contend Kirb was lying. However, if they did indeed rep defending this play, I can buy it was leaked via some HS coach/dawg fan who viewed one of our practices some kinda way.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Back in 2014, in that horrid loss to Duke when CPJ put Byerly in to finish the last eight minutes of the game -- darned if Byerly didn't lead Tech to a couple of TDs and cut the final margin from 12-31 to 25-31 -- Tech used the throwback to the QB in that game. B.J. Bostic threw to Byerly, and Byerly made the catch and some nice yards after the catch for a 15-yard gain. That time, I believe, is the last time CPJ called for a throw back to the QB.

Oh, good catch. I kinda wanted to forget that game.

Dwags cheat eh? That would certainly explain how they managed to win COFH in 6 of the past 8 years. Well to be fair you can throw out '11, but still Georgia has often looked like they defend Tech a little too well.
"Georgia has often looked like they defend Tech a little too well"??? I disagree there. Tech seems always to mount up big yards on the mutts. It's the Tech defense that has lost the majority of those games.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Wasn't it a designed backward pass? If it was, Klock had to stay behind JT due to the heat at the LOS and JT being forced back. I wasn't sure when watching so maybe someone can clarify.

Doubtful it was a designed lateral since there were blockers downfield meaning Klock couldn't pass, but then again they were still close to the LOS, so maybe. (Click the link and watch again). Either way my point is that Burden was mostly to blame for that failed Tackle Eligible play, not the playcall.

I've seen us run this one other time, in 2010 against VT. It was late in the game: a 4th and 3 or something, the camera was zoomed in on PJ, and part of his playcall was obscured but I could clearly see him say, "blah blah blah ... halfback throwback". I got excited, but the exact same thing happened - pitch to Roddy, the throwback wasn't there to Tevin, Roddy runs it up the middle. I think he dove over a defender.

Um, CPJ ... don't run that play or the Tackle Eligible play ever again. :)

Honestly, I feel like Kirby was talking about the toss play and it's only natural for the backside player to watch the QB. Same thing on a toss play from the I-Formation; QB wheels and pitches, then rolls the other way. The backside DE or whoever needs to contain the QB, so I'm sure that was part of their repping against the toss. If you think about it in that context, what Kirby says makes total sense. I think this whole thing is getting blown out of proportion.
Um, CPJ ... don't run that play or the Tackle Eligible play ever again. :)
TOTALLY agree

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Back in 2014, in that horrid loss to Duke when CPJ put Byerly in to finish the last eight minutes of the game -- darned if Byerly didn't lead Tech to a couple of TDs and cut the final margin from 12-31 to 25-31 -- Tech used the throwback to the QB in that game. B.J. Bostic threw to Byerly, and Byerly made the catch and some nice yards after the catch for a 15-yard gain. That time, I believe, is the last time CPJ called for a throw back to the QB.

So yeah, I thought it real curious when Smart said the Dawgs had prepped so much for it, because (1) that play is no staple for Tech, and (2) the last time Tech ran it, Thomas wasn't in at QB two years ago. Yet the Dawgs certainly had Thomas covered on that play.
I have blocked all losses to Duke from my memory.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Qua is the exception with these trick non-QB throws. Nice head's up by him to analyze the situation and make something with his legs as opposed to forcing it. Usually the WR/AB is so amped at throwing the ball they end up forcing it and it gets intercepted. Happened with Synjyn, Corey Dennis, and Deandre Smelter. I'm OK with never seeing this again...though Qua's play will make for a great memory through the years.

I totally agree with this. I have actually been surprised how few of these running back throws have worked under Johnson, as they seem like they should. Too often, they end up covered and the guys throw it anyway because they are so amped for the play before the snap. That said, I have seen a lot of criticism that the play was a total bust and "thank god Qua didn't throw it, as it would have been an interception!" While I am certainly glad that Qua did not throw it, and it does appear that Johnson was very clear with him not to force it, I do think a decent throw would have been caught and could have gained some yards, if not the TD. If Qua throws it when he first spins, Thomas was open and had a chance to score. The pass would have had to have been on a rope though. Qua obviously made the right decision : )

15492323_10106378578120160_2631975075953425981_n.jpg

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm probably in the minority with a few others... I don't see how this is a "zing". The comment about the "the guy from Georgia" struck me as CPJ not remembering Kirby's name off the cuff/not caring enough to think about it/a slight sign of disrespect. That's about it.
The UGA fans in the comments sure took it as one. I haven't heard the press conference or interview. So, the article is all I've seen. But, I'm guessing we wouldn't love it if an opposing coach referred to Paul as "The guy over on North Avenue."

Then, there's Paul's sense of humor. He may have been blipping on Kirby's name just in that second. May not have been.

The UGA fans in the comments sure took it as one. I haven't heard the press conference or interview. So, the article is all I've seen. But, I'm guessing we wouldn't love it if an opposing coach referred to Paul as "The guy over on North Avenue."

Then, there's Paul's sense of humor. He may have been blipping on Kirby's name just in that second. May not have been.
CPJ has been called worse things than that by both mutt fans and members of the media. This is their problem, not ours, and certainly not Johnson's. Personally I LOVE what he said.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

So yeah, I thought it real curious when Smart said the Dawgs had prepped so much for it, because (1) that play is no staple for Tech, and (2) the last time Tech ran it, Thomas wasn't in at QB two years ago. Yet the Dawgs certainly had Thomas covered on that play.
thought it might be worth a watch