Paul Johnson visiting the Ravens today

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s funny how some of us choose to measure success. They look at winning percentage alone and ignore all else. I bet those same folks don’t treat Ross that way.

I think Who Was HC When You Were A Student also makes one a bit biased. Having watched the entire Ross Rebuild as a student, he will be at the top of any "Best GT Coach List of my Lifetime" I take part in. I'd put GOL and PJ right after him and can make the case for either of those guys being #2.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Why does pointing out shortcomings,Duke losses, and saying things like "It was time for a change" get conflated to "hatred"?
When one is obsessed with something and can only talk about the same thing there is a problem. Hint CPJ is gone , get over it move on. I liked him I liked his offense but I thought it time for a change. Anyone can find something they dislike about any coach.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
You fall squarely into the second category I mentioned: "...the section of the GT fanbase that has decided the TO was the worst thing ever."

It's evident from your posting history you are not capable of having an honest dialogue about the former regime. If CPJ said water was wet you'd be leading the charge insisting it's not.

I don’t think the TO is the worst thing ever. I was fully onboard when CPJ was hired. I think it’s a good offense and he is the best ever at coaching it.

I have had nothing but an honest dialogue. The delusion falls on the CPJ > GT fans who refuse to accept change and refuse to accept that we were largely mediocre for the last 11 years.

They won’t accept the fact that CPJ had the benefit of facing more teams with less scholarships, facing UGA at their worst since the mid-90s, and inheriting one of the most talented rosters we have ever had.

Despite all of this he had a worse winning percentage than the two coaches immediately proceeding him.

ScGold

Banned
He never had his choice of DC. Not until Nate and that was a budget hire. Get that through your head.
Ur incredible. He could've hired anyone he wanted just like he could've fired anyone he wanted. Keep drinking the kool aid. 11 years we had two good defenses and they happen to coincide with the same time frame when he was first hired, but the other 9 years are the admin's fault or the fans fault, or the radio 680am's fault. Yeah it's the players fault they couldn't perform to the level of coaching. It sure can't be Paul Johnson he runs a good offense and scores lots and lots of points.

ScGold

Banned
I don’t think the TO is the worst thing ever. I was fully onboard when CPJ was hired. I think it’s a good offense and he is the best ever at coaching it.

I have had nothing but an honest dialogue. The delusion falls on the CPJ > GT fans who refuse to accept change and refuse to accept that we were largely mediocre for the last 11 years.

They won’t accept the fact that CPJ had the benefit of facing more teams with less scholarships, facing UGA at their worst since the mid-90s, and inheriting one of the most talented rosters we have ever had.

Despite all of this he had a worse winning percentage than the two coaches immediately proceeding him.
Exactly!! We could have done soooooo much more than what was accomplished.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

And more Conference Championships, ACCCG Appearances, 10+ win seasons, major bowl wins, victories over uga...

Also, Chan Gailey had a .579 % at GT. CPJ had .580, so that assertion is also incorrect.

When you cherry pick a stat to "prove" your point, you should at least make sure the stat is accurate...

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/chan-gailey-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/paul-johnson-1.html

ScGold

Banned
A few years down the road, CPJ will be enshrined in the CFB HOF. When that day comes, the only people likely to question the merit of his inclusion are mutt trolls and the section of the GT fanbase that has decided the TO was the worst thing ever.

Hint, it's not just Tech people who think he deserves the honor...
Most of those who are in that camp didn't have him run their program either . Navy and gsu and Hawaii aren't even sniffing acc football. Against stiffer competition at gtech he's mediocre.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Most of those who are in that camp didn't have him run their program either . Navy and gsu and Hawaii aren't even sniffing acc football. Against stiffer competition at gtech he's mediocre.

Pretty sure I know which category you fall into...

"...and the section of the GT fanbase that has decided the TO was the worst thing ever."

ScGold

Banned
And more Conference Championships, ACCCG Appearances, 10+ win seasons, major bowl wins, victories over uga...

Also, Chan Gailey had a .579 % at GT. CPJ had .580, so that assertion is also incorrect.

When you cherry pick a stat to "prove" your point, you should at least make sure the stat is accurate...

What are the winning percentage for both coaches at tech right now? Eerily similar. That's not cherry picking.

ScGold

Banned
Pretty sure I know which category you fall into...

"...and the section of the GT fanbase that has decided the TO was the worst thing ever."
I don't dislike the TO. I dislike sh!ty defenses, special teams. I dislike a coach that didn't put a lot stock in recruiting early in his tenure and it caught up. The offense wasn't the problem.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
What are the winning percentage for both coaches at tech right now? Eerily similar. That's not cherry picking.

Picking a single statistic to prove a point and ignoring the other, inconvenient facts is, indeed, cherry picking.

My assertion stands, while the two may be "eerily similar," CPJ had a higher % than CCG, which proved that the assertion by the initial poster I responded to was factually deficient.

But I doubt facts will convince you.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

I don't disagree with your point that CPJ had a much better run than CCG. But c'mon, don't go to the technicality of a third decimal point to make your case. The Orange bowls and 10 win seasons is all you needed to prove your point, but the winning percentages are indeed virtually identical.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I don't disagree with your point that CPJ had a much better run than CCG. But c'mon, don't go to the technicality of a third decimal point to make your case. The Orange bowls and 10 win seasons is all you needed to prove your point, but the winning percentages are indeed virtually identical.

My case is that the original post stating that CPJ had a worse winning % than the two coaches preceding him was inaccurate. Am I wrong?

Animal02

Banned
Picking a single statistic to prove a point and ignoring the other, inconvenient facts is, indeed, cherry picking.

My assertion stands, while the two may be "eerily similar," CPJ had a higher % than CCG, which proved that the assertion by the initial poster I responded to was factually deficient.

But I doubt facts will convince you.
Not to mention the fact that CPJ had to deal with Academic progress.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Maybe someone can do a poll so we know where the fan base stands on our coaches?

Include everything from “I hated him the moment someone spoke his name” to “I’d love him even if he shot my favorite dog”.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
They will just accuse you of hating the new coach.
Hellfire I like him and the new staff but now that they have a new coach most of them are saying 4 wins and it will take 2 to 3 years to get better. I can see 8 wins it's football offense you still run pass catch and block. Defense you still tackle I think this coaching staff will do what we can do and not try and put a round peg in a square hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.