Paul Johnson visiting the Ravens today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You have to be kidding about wanting that. In the case that youre serious all I can get is that you have a man crush on Paul Johnson, but don't let he fact the head coach is the head coach not only the oc. Last time I checked Tech was near the bottom of world in defense rating or KO coverage or punt coverage or passing effectiveness. Oh and dont let the fact we heard how disconnected the team was on a yearly basis. Coaching was so good the best OL signed during the Johnson era was transferring regardless who the coach was at Tech. Bring on the offensive stats to prove how great a run PJ had and again all you have are great rush stats and how many points he avg a game. But the point avg is skewed due to the weak *** nonconf schedule and weak sisters in the league that don't face tech every year. Id suggest becoming a season ticket holder for KSU football and cheer like hell.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You have to be kidding about wanting that. In the case that youre serious all I can get is that you have a man crush on Paul Johnson, but don't let he fact the head coach is the head coach not only the oc. Last time I checked Tech was near the bottom of world in defense rating or KO coverage or punt coverage or passing effectiveness. Oh and dont let the fact we heard how disconnected the team was on a yearly basis. Coaching was so good the best OL signed during the Johnson era was transferring regardless who the coach was at Tech. Bring on the offensive stats to prove how great a run PJ had and again all you have are great rush stats and how many points he avg a game. But the point avg is skewed due to the weak *** nonconf schedule and weak sisters in the league that don't face tech every year. Id suggest becoming a season ticket holder for KSU football and cheer like hell.
You were okay as long as you were sticking to the facts, and I will even accept the hyperbole about our defense. We were awful, yes, and as the man said, it cannot be refined. But "don't let the fact we heard how disconnected ..."? I once saw a light heavyweight fight with less conflict than in that phrase. For certain we rolled against patsies, though I do not recall a single prediction that Louisville would stink the conference up until after they had stunk it up. We had problems with really good defenses, but those teams were good against everybody. And 49 against VT, 38 against South Florida and 30 against Virginia was to this observer of modest football knowledge pretty good. (If I am permitted one meaningless burst, we scored almost as much against Clemson as Alabama with that great (well, they said) offense mustered. I can't explain Duke and gave up trying. No, the offense was not the problem even without the QB to run it. As for that "best OL signed" by Johnson, this is the first I hear that Shaq Mason transferred. All this time I thought he signed a new contract for $20 million guaranteed with New England. I have to start paying attention.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
How is your baseless comment better than his? If the TO would provide an NFL team an edge someone would try it. The fact that no one has,ever, means case closed.

The real point here is what offense you run is not just about the offense itself but how it fits into the team structure. What we have seen at Tech is successful offenses with overall lesser talent. We have also seen that recruiting problem extend to the rest of the team and suffered with poor defenses and special teams most years. So yes, you can rave about the offense but the point is to win games. Kudos to Paul for what he was able to accomplish at Tech. I preferred his ability to have higher highs that Chan but also have to admit he had lower lows. Now he’s decided to step down and I am excited by the potential the new staff promises. Here’s hoping they can deliver.
It's not baseless and the Kansas City and Seattle have successfully dabbled with it. It's had to many falsely negative narratives around it, however, for anyone to go all out and use that offense just yet.

I otherwise agree with a lot of what you're saying. The lows, minus 2015 which I think many will agree had a lot of bad luck, really weren't that bad however. And we will have to agree to disagree on just how much it affected recruiting. We shall see how much better that will be in the long run here. Without resorting to the types of recruiting the factories do, I don't know just how much it changes. CGC seems to be off to a hot start though. Best of luck to CPJ, and hoping CGC the best.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Why can't you understand that there will be nfl talent in both defense and offense. So as big fast, big slow, or whatever combo you have in D, you will have an equally talented player on the other side to neutralize. As explained before, you're not running college talent on offense cancNFL defense. Every team loses every once in a while. I've seen Alabama win games with single digits points scored. What you ungrateful CPJ haters don't realize is that you were spoiled with excellent offensive production for the last decade. There were a few games here and there when the offense was not effective, this is where your defense kicks in and coming for any team. As described previously in great detail, CPJ was constantly ham string on what coordinator he had on that side of the ball, despite Tech not having to pay an OC. Go back and look at the facts, the offense was rarely the problem. But what we are doing now is fixing what ain't broke while fixing the other side of the ball. I fully expect defensive improvement. I suspect the amount of improvement we see on that side of the ball will be negated by scraping the great offense we've had. We shall see. I hope this is not the case and we can maintain the level of offensive production and turn the defense around.

The TO isn't coming to the NFL ever. Why can't you understand that the NFL has become a passing league and all the rule changes of the past decade or so favor throwing it, not playing TO football?
As to the rest, I've never denied our PJ offensive production, nor complete lack of defense under PJ. But it's disingenuous to let him off the hook for our annual, dismal defense. After all, it's a function of the HC to hire a competent DC and PJ had 4 opportunities to do so. And then there's ST.

You PJ lovers continue to ignore this but PJ was given $$$ for a state-of-the-art indoor practice facility in 2011 that was supposed to improve recruiting but it never really did (at least not according to any rankings). PJ was given enough $$$ to hire a DC on 4 separate occasions but never succeeded. The offense was indeed rarely the problem but that's just one phase of a football team, something else the PJ fans continue to ignore. The other 2 (Def, ST) generally stunk under PJ as HC and those were ultimately his responsibilities.

Like you, I suspect that, initially, an improved Defense won't make up for lost offensive production but in a year or so, an improved defense with even a middle-ranked offense will be a better Overall Package (including annually-better ST) than what we generally had for the past 20 years or so. I don't see any teams running back 2 KOs for TDs back-to-back under CGC.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
LOL and the only guy in the last fifty years to have a number of 8 plus win seasons was......CPJ. Out of 11 seasons he had 5 of those. Nobody since Dodd even compares.

it's apples to oranges to compare PJ's Jax-St-loaded 12-game schedule with the schedules Dodd faced. Dodd would've won 10/year with our schedules of late.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
CPJ retired. Left Tech in a much better position than when he got here.

You can't be serious. The 2007 recruiting class PJ inherited was perhaps the greatest in GT history. I don't think PJ left us in as bad a shape as others think but let's not pretend CGC is walking into the talent-laden roster that PJ did in 2008.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I love option football and non-option football. I’m still confused why so many feel it’s one or the other. I’m also confused why so many feel that the change in offense is going to be a silver bullet. What we will gain in recruiting we lose in the advantage of running something different than everyone else. It’s crazy how much many on here are underestimating this.

Before slamming the old offense in favor of the new, think of it this way...we will now be running the same offense as just about everyone else Clemson and Georgia play. They will now essentially be prepping for our offense every week. And this increases our chances of beating them? Ok.

Anyone who watched the Clemson and mutt games of the past few years and wanted to keep running that offense against 'em is a masochist.

Animal02

Banned
This. Over and over again.

I love the enthusiasm for the new coach and I think every Tech fan wishes him well. But to suggest that someone who has never coached a game at Tech, let alone won a single game at Tech, is a 100% improvement over some (as of now historically revisionist) dark ages of mediocre football, is so irrationally exuberant that is suggests medication might be in order.
Watch out, with a post like that you may be accused of being a mutt fan....or told to shut up and sit in the back......or you should not be allowed to have an opinion if you didn't play ball at Tech. :rolleyes:

LibertyTurns

Banned
As i have posted before.....playing the FCS game and gaining an extra home game every other year is more profitable. Kind of funny how people have no problem giving away home games for a neutral field for the $$$ because we "need it so badly" but then demand we give up the FCS games and the extra $$$ that go with it.
That may be if you line 1 game up against another. What’s the impact of having 3-4k more season tickets because of a better schedule? Are we really better off with 25k fans every year to watch A St instead of 45k fans on alternating years to line up against Michigan, Texas, Ole Piss or God forbid our nemesis Stanford?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
That may be if you line 1 game up against another. What’s the impact of having 3-4k more season tickets because of a better schedule? Are we really better off with 25k fans every year to watch A St instead of 45k fans on alternating years to line up against Michigan, Texas, Ole Piss or God forbid our nemesis Stanford?
I would much prefer what you are proposing but there is a reason the Alabamas and Clemsons of the world don't do it that way.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I would much prefer what you are proposing but there is a reason the Alabamas and Clemsons of the world don't do it that way.
Alabama, Clemson, etc would sell out their stadium regardless of who’s on the schedule. We need butts in seats and media coverage that comes along with playing games that aren’t buried on pg 23 below the fold next to the results of the Shippensburg St vs Slippery Rock box score.

Reactions: yrp

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
What if CPJ fans decided that supporting CGC was somehow disloyal to the legacy of the last 11 years? Here are the 7 ways they could respond:

1). Go to a thread that is exclusively about CGC, a thread where fans are excited about the offense, are looking forward to the change, like the new optimism they feel, a thread where they can dream and fantasize about future victories, a thread where fans can just, well, be fans.

2). Begin to point out that the percentage of wins in his last coaching gig was kind of average when compared to coach X. If necessary go back 2 decades or more to find the least flattering statistical comparison.

3). When supporters of CGC begin to offer counter arguments attack the person posting.

4). Bring up the worst defensive games played while CGC was coach at Mississippi State, especially against Tech. Gloat about this, if desired, but throw in lots of LOLs.

5). If defenders of CGC start to explain extenuating circumstances, even if these are legitimate, claim that they are making excuses. Better yet add an emoji of someone whining or a small violin playing.

6). When fans of CGC begin to offer more arguments use appropriate sarcasm. Referring to a man crush is hard for them to defend.

7). When the arguments have repeated themselves several times ask for the mods to shut it down. That way we don't have to hear anymore enthusiastic support for a coach we loath in an irrational way.

That's how you do it. But I desperately want to believe that real Tech fans have no need to attack another Tech fan's support of a winning coach or a coach who may become a winning coach. But that's just me.

Animal02

Banned
Yes...I ran the numbers.....having the extra game every other year is more $$$.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
You can't be serious. The 2007 recruiting class PJ inherited was perhaps the greatest in GT history. I don't think PJ left us in as bad a shape as others think but let's not pretend CGC is walking into the talent-laden roster that PJ did in 2008.
Listen little buddy, I get it, you hated the old coach, hated the old offense and no amount of logic, facts, or reason will change your mind. I refuse to retype every point already made in this thread to counter the BS you are constantly spewing. There are many fans like myself who were very happy with the previous coach, while at the same time are very happy to give the new coach a chance. Get a life, get over yourself, and root for Tech to do well. As I said before, reference mine and many others previous posts to counter everything you've said, as of now, you are on that glorious ignore list. My recommendation to others is to rid yourself of a troll, ignore it.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Listen little buddy, I get it, you hated the old coach, hated the old offense and no amount of logic, facts, or reason will change your mind. I refuse to retype every point already made in this thread to counter the BS you are constantly spewing. There are many fans like myself who were very happy with the previous coach, while at the same time are very happy to give the new coach a chance. Get a life, get over yourself, and root for Tech to do well. As I said before, reference mine and many others previous posts to counter everything you've said, as of now, you are on that glorious ignore list. My recommendation to others is to rid yourself of a troll, ignore it.

Look, kid. Posting facts about anything doesn't equate to "hatred" of that same topic. You can't counter what I've posted because I've only posted fact, or noted that something I said was an opinion, or posted literal quotes from NFL and NCAA coaches. The anger in your reply here is reflective of your inability to post a counter because you know you cannot.

This is a good example of a typical reply of the PJ fan club: Ad hominem attacks that don't even bother to address the topic but, instead, try to come across as snarky or humorous. Throw in some strange insinuations that, if you don't worship PJ, you somehow don't "root for Tech to do well". Like @Animal02 points out above - your next step is probably to question if am I actually a fan of the mutts too?

Like all of those, it fails at both. I'm glad to be on your ignore list. You weren't a poster I paid any attention to anyway.

:rolleyes:

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
It's not baseless and the Kansas City and Seattle have successfully dabbled with it. It's had to many falsely negative narratives around it, however, for anyone to go all out and use that offense just yet.

I otherwise agree with a lot of what you're saying. The lows, minus 2015 which I think many will agree had a lot of bad luck, really weren't that bad however. And we will have to agree to disagree on just how much it affected recruiting. We shall see how much better that will be in the long run here. Without resorting to the types of recruiting the factories do, I don't know just how much it changes. CGC seems to be off to a hot start though. Best of luck to CPJ, and hoping CGC the best.
Huge difference between running a 2 man, keep it pitch and running the TO. Whether it was the option or PJ our recruiting is as bad as it’s been ever probably. We can blame whoever or whatever we want but not sure that can be disputed. That’s not to say we don’t have some good players but overall we are not in good shape. Whoever we had chosen to follow was going to have to rebuild relationships with HS coaches and CGC seems to be off to a good start.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Huge difference between running a 2 man, keep it pitch and running the TO. Whether it was the option or PJ our recruiting is as bad as it’s been ever probably. We can blame whoever or whatever we want but not sure that can be disputed. That’s not to say we don’t have some good players but overall we are not in good shape. Whoever we had chosen to follow was going to have to rebuild relationships with HS coaches and CGC seems to be off to a good start.

Carolina has a triple option series in there playbook and have had it in there for awhile. They run it out of offset I and pistol. So there was film of it in the nfl. The truth of the matter is that the only boon to recreuiting that cpj got was the indoor facility. Turns out no where that has built one has aeen a bolster in recruiting due to that. The locker room will do more

Status
Not open for further replies.