Paul Johnson visiting the Ravens today

Status
Not open for further replies.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
We’ve only lost 2 games or less in 3 seasons spanning 4+ decades of me being a GT fan. 2 of those seasons I wasn’t even in the country to see it happen. I hope to hell we landed the next coming of head football coaches but realistically it may take a decade of consistent program support (Institute, Big Donors & fans) to get to levels where 2 losses per season or less is anything short of extremely irregular. Not many consistent Top 25 teams can string together runs of 3 loss or less seasons. Now I hope I live to see a stretch like ‘51-‘56, but the odds against it are very long indeed.

CPJ lost too much because he couldn’t muster a defense. Chan couldn’t find an offense to save his life. O’Leary couldn’t buy a defense. Then there was that guy previous that apparently couldn’t muster anything. Ross caught lightning in a bottle 1 year. Curry had some of the most frustrating offenses. The beat goes on. We’ve either had a good offense & and bad defense or vice versa or sometimes bad both. Back to ‘51-‘56 I think that’s the last years we had both for any stretch. That guy has a stadium & awards named after him. We’re hoping for a lot with CGC.
Couldn't have said it better myself and I tried.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Here's what I was originally responding to:

"There aren't many NFL guys who even want to cut, outside of smallish RBs facing a blitzing LB. It's known as 'dirty football' for good reason and I suspect was probably used against our OL recruiting during PJ's tenure. At the end of the day, these guys are all co-workers (with a few exceptions) and aren't interested in diving at knees unless absolutely necessary (again, see RB picking up blitz)"

I responded:

"The San Francisco 49ers, Houston Oilers, Denver Broncos, and Atlanta Falcons all say hello. See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cut_blocking

Needless to say, the colleges have been using this technique for eons."

What you were saying is that "NFL guys" don't want to cut block. I pointed out that not only do they cut block but that multiple NFL teams have made cut blocking their usual blocking method. That doesn't have anything to do with "dirty football" or whether the NFL uses the spread option. Again, these were attempts to get away from your original argument.

On another note, you are mistaking civility for "being polite", a common error. You were mistaken. I could have hemmed and hawed around that, treating you with kid gloves. But think a minute what that actually says: that you aren't worth a straightforward argument because you can't stand being contradicted. I don't think that at all; you seem like a person who likes to argue, sure, but you don't seem completely unreasonable. I treated you accordingly. That, my friend, is being civil.

1. "There aren't many NFL guys who want to cut" isn't the same as "There are NFL players who do cut block (regardless of what they think of it". Reread what you quote me saying above.
2. Again, not once have I denied that NFL teams don't cut block so you continue to bark up a wrong tree. THWg, btw.
3. I'm not the only person on earth who thinks it's dirty.
4. The TO isn't in the NFL.

The only one trying to make an argument out of any of this is you. My opinion (stated as exactly that numerous times with 'IMO', and an opinion I've shown isn't uniquely mine) is that it's dirty. That's my opinion so it's not debatable. Nor is the fact that the beloved TO ain't gonna be any NFL team's primary scheme anytime soon. That one is fact though - nothing to argue about there either.

Your last paragraph though....that's a point I will agree with. My experience over the years in former PJ debates biased me to your response.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
We’ve only lost 2 games or less in 3 seasons spanning 4+ decades of me being a GT fan. 2 of those seasons I wasn’t even in the country to see it happen. I hope to hell we landed the next coming of head football coaches but realistically it may take a decade of consistent program support (Institute, Big Donors & fans) to get to levels where 2 losses per season or less is anything short of extremely irregular. Not many consistent Top 25 teams can string together runs of 3 loss or less seasons. Now I hope I live to see a stretch like ‘51-‘56, but the odds against it are very long indeed.

CPJ lost too much because he couldn’t muster a defense. Chan couldn’t find an offense to save his life. O’Leary couldn’t buy a defense. Then there was that guy previous that apparently couldn’t muster anything. Ross caught lightning in a bottle 1 year. Curry had some of the most frustrating offenses. The beat goes on. We’ve either had a good offense & and bad defense or vice versa or sometimes bad both. Back to ‘51-‘56 I think that’s the last years we had both for any stretch. That guy has a stadium & awards named after him. We’re hoping for a lot with CGC.

I agree with all that though I'm not expecting or even hoping for '51-'56. I'd just like to see consistent 8+ win seasons and a return to occasional national relevance, along with top-40 recruiting classes and the occasional GameDay crew showing up at the Flats. Also getting to be more competitive with Clemson and the mutts, rather than having those as auto blowouts. Multiple nattys and that sort of things? I've not seen anyone here expressing that expectation except for 1 guy who doesn't like CGC.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

A decade ? At 67 this sucks for me :) . like I said I'll give them the 1st half of game one than I want to see us be great. I still think too many are writing off next year those that are may be in for a good surprise.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Probably more than that. Collins isn't going to get the luxury of playing Richt-in-decline or Dabo before he figured it out.

Choking against mediocre and bad Ugag team's in the death throes of the Richt era will sting even more as the Smart era proceeds.
So how long are we gonna suck, exactly? Seems like you’re already got your pat excuse for losing with an indefinite duration.

I agree with all that though I'm not expecting or even hoping for '51-'56. I'd just like to see consistent 8+ win seasons and a return to occasional national relevance, along with top-40 recruiting classes and the occasional GameDay crew showing up at the Flats. Also getting to be more competitive with Clemson and the mutts, rather than having those as auto blowouts. Multiple nattys and that sort of things? I've not seen anyone here expressing that expectation except for 1 guy who doesn't like CGC.

LOL and the only guy in the last fifty years to have a number of 8 plus win seasons was......CPJ. Out of 11 seasons he had 5 of those. Nobody since Dodd even compares.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
So how long are we gonna suck, exactly? Seems like you’re already got your pat excuse for losing with an indefinite duration.

I hope we can be a consistent 8-10 win program in 2-3 years. I don’t think losing to top 5 Clemson and UGAg teams means you suck.

I don’t know if we’ve ever had two teams as good as they have become on the schedule every year.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
LOL and the only guy in the last fifty years to have a number of 8 plus win seasons was......CPJ. Out of 11 seasons he had 5 of those. Nobody since Dodd even compares.

Because no one else played 12 game regular seasons. Once again: Chan Gailey had a better winning percentage. Chan frickin Gailey.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I hope we can be a consistent 8-10 win program in 2-3 years. I don’t think losing to top 5 Clemson and UGAg teams means you suck.

I don’t know if we’ve ever had two teams as good as they have become on the schedule every year.
That’s just 2 out 12. I’ll take 10 win seasons all day.

Look folks, for those of us that are 50 plus years of Tech football and those that aren't end the end we are Tech fans. I loved O'Leary but he left. I am one of the biggest CPJ fans and loved his offense and what he did for Tech, but knew it would not last forever. Cut blocks, formations, recruiting, folks we know what we are. A really good academic school that puts a lot of good teams out on the football field, baseball diamond and hopefully back on the basketball court.

We now turn the page and with it a new look at Tech. I think we have a really good coaching staff and we will see this year what we do. Look, I went to every game during the dark years of Bill Lewis. Still say that if we hang on and beat FSU in 92 things might have been different.

We have three months to go and let's quit this bickering.
CPJ fans, let's get behind the new coach and the team.
You folks that did not like CPJ, let it go and quit bashing him. He was the most successful coach at Tech since Dodd.

Now that is settled, as said by the Colorado Jacket......the biggest Tech fan of all.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Our night game atmosphere is pretty damn good. I hope we get to see some of that going forward. I know CPJ was not a big fan of night games but damn I miss playing at night. Also, we need to jettison the Alcorn St games & schedule sme teams worth playing. Maybe they won’t be so afraid to come to Atlanta now?
A decade ? At 67 this sucks for me :) . like I said I'll give them the 1st half of game one than I want to see us be great. I still think too many are writing off next year those that are may be in for a good surprise.
I was referring to building a dominant program. My expectation is we’ll fall into the 7-6 to 8-5 range for the next 3 years, then we’ll either not be able to recruit as we want & may out-coach the competition to stay in that range. One way or another we’re going to have the recruiting riddle answered. That’s the fork in the road. We’ll either have trouble winning because we can’t recruit or we’ll be able to recruit & the only reason we can’t stay at that 8-10 win per season range is lack of talent on the sidelines. Time will tell.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Guess I missed it I haven't seen anyone express a dislike for CGC a few are wait and see.
+1

I haven't seen any that is rooting against FT Football and CGC.

Most just are not willing to anoint as the savior before a game/season is played.

We do like that we are in the hunt for some higher rated players. Just need to win the recruiting battles and not be happy being in someone's Top 3/4/5...10.

Last edited:
Because no one else played 12 game regular seasons. Once again: Chan Gailey had a better winning percentage. Chan frickin Gailey.[/QUOTE
Because no one else played 12 game regular seasons. Once again: Chan Gailey had a better winning percentage. Chan frickin Gailey.

I am going to respond to this and let it go at that.

Pepper Rodgers. No 8 win seasons'
Bill Curry 1 9 win season
Bobby Ross 1 11 win season 1 8 win season
Bill Lewis no 8 win seasons
George O'Leary 1 10 win season 2 8 win seasons
Chan Gailey 1 nine win season
CPJ 2 9 wins seasons 1 8 win seasons and 2 11 win seasons.

No comparison

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
You make a good point about the big, slow guys owning us. Which is interesting, given the AB-QB speed we had at times. That 2009 OB was maddening to watch.

Teams like Clemson and the mutts had the ugly combo of both big and quick. Like all 32 NFL teams!
Why can't you understand that there will be nfl talent in both defense and offense. So as big fast, big slow, or whatever combo you have in D, you will have an equally talented player on the other side to neutralize. As explained before, you're not running college talent on offense cancNFL defense. Every team loses every once in a while. I've seen Alabama win games with single digits points scored. What you ungrateful CPJ haters don't realize is that you were spoiled with excellent offensive production for the last decade. There were a few games here and there when the offense was not effective, this is where your defense kicks in and coming for any team. As described previously in great detail, CPJ was constantly ham string on what coordinator he had on that side of the ball, despite Tech not having to pay an OC. Go back and look at the facts, the offense was rarely the problem. But what we are doing now is fixing what ain't broke while fixing the other side of the ball. I fully expect defensive improvement. I suspect the amount of improvement we see on that side of the ball will be negated by scraping the great offense we've had. We shall see. I hope this is not the case and we can maintain the level of offensive production and turn the defense around.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Plenty of QBs are definitely overpaid. But your post doesn't refute the fact that the NFL is a pass-first league and all indicators are that it will continue to be so moving forward. From rules that over-protect the QB to rules that make pass coverage more difficult for NFL CBs...it's obvious that throwing is the way the league is going, not running the Option. NFL RBs are getting paid less and less for good reason - they're a dime a dozen. The Pitt Steelers found this out when they let overpaid crybaby Leveon Bell sit out 2018 and lost almost nothing with paid-much-less James Connor getting snaps.
NFL players won't be running the option anytime soon. You're too caught up in PJ Fandom to see that it just ain't happenin!
You know nothing about the offense we've been running. It's much less about the actual running back, and more so about the QB reads and OFFENSIVE LINE blocking. I don't care if the NFL had rules that favor passing, this offense is a numbers game and most NFL players are plenty capable of running it. Neither one of us can say how well or poorly it will work. I think it has a great chance of being successful however based on how the offense actually works. You don't think it will work because you don't like it and are too caught up in your CPJ hate to see it and other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.