Paul Johnson to retire

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Damn this could be really bad news for Tech. I sure hope Todd has not jumped the gun here. He definitely could have made it much easier on himself had we got another year or two out of CPJ.

If it is true we are about to see if Tstan is worth a crap or not or just another in a long line of bad AD's

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
Wow, tough day for Georgia Tech... This is a hall of fame coach. Not many programs get to have a hall of famer at at the helm, especially not as long as CPJ was at Tech.

I think you take a serious look at the Georgia Southern staff as a replacement.
We should aim higher than that. GSU hasn't impressed me lately except for beating App this year.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...nson-retire-coach-georgia-tech-yellow-jackets
Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson to retire after 11 seasons
1:49 PM ET
Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson is expected to announce his retirement after 11 seasons with the school, sources told ESPN on Wednesday.

An official announcement could come later Wednesday. Georgia Tech assistant coaches have been told to return from the recruiting trail for meetings, sources said. A team meeting is scheduled for 2:30 p.m. Wednesday, according to a source.

buzzn

Georgia Tech Fan
Thanks CPJ for all of your hard work over the last 11 years. Thank you for the ACC CG appearances - I had a great time at each one. Thanks for graduating your players. Thanks for bringing a tough, physical “punch them in the mouth” mentality to GT football. Thanks for succeeding despite the inherent institutional limitations. And most of all - thanks for beating UGA.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Well crap. I was looking forward to what the new kids already in and coming in could do next year, and I felt next year could see us back at the top. I'll miss his honesty and bull-headedness. I also appreciate what he has done to make sure his players were more than meat-on-the hoof and actually were student athletes.

Now, I'm looking forward to seeing who the next coach is, and I'll be renewing my season tickets as soon as I get the bill.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Sad to see such a legend go. Made Tech fun to watch again, had some of the most legendary games here (The Pick and Kick, Quatum Leap, Miracle on North Avenue, Miracle on Techwood). He should absolutely be allowed to coach the bowl game if he wants. He turned Southern into a powerhouse and revived one of the most storied programs in Navy. Today isn't a day for even the most hardcore haters to celebrate, you can do that tomorrow.