Paul Johnson to retire

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I haven't watched Army in a while. What has Monken done to tweak things? Looks like he's passed far less - 7.7 attempts per game, v. CPJ's 9.5 this year.
I've seen them a couple of times. He uses a shotgun occasionally, and a shotgun with motion occasionally, but stays mostly in Johnson's traditional set. Thing is, with his different formations, Monken still runs the ball, or did when I watched. His motion was Clemson-like: nothing happened with the motion man but it had to be respected. Like Johnson he thinks the only thing that should be in the air is rain. And while I know I am biased, I don't think a coach in the country has done a better job at their place than Monken has done at Army.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Disagree, it will hit me when we're forced to throw on third and five because the new guy doesn't have the balls to go for it on forth.
Or it's 3rd and 3 and we throw a swing pass 3 yards behind the line.
Or it's 4th and 1 and we line up in the shotgun and run it up the middle.

There are certainly some good offenses out there. But I like the GT/Iowa/Stanford teams that aren't afraid to line up and run the ball from under center when everyone in the stands knows it's going to happen, and it still gains yards.

GT_EE78

Banned
They must have forgotten the 5 times that Paul Johnson beat them. That's not an exaggeration. Those sorts of short term memories are why they are Clemson alums and we are Georgia Tech alums.
on the other hand i've noticed that them tigger alums and fans make a lot less money than GT grads but are 10x more likely to buy you a fireball than any Gt alum when u casually meet them in bar .. ... ..

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
Sometimes I wonder about people on this board. I just brought up Whisenhunt's name to 6 different co-workers and they all thought he would be a great hire. Come on here and everyone thinks it would be terrible. Same thing with Johnson. When the news broke at the office EVERYONE thought it was great news for GT. Come on here and it's doom and gloom. I really would like to understand the psychology here. Something has caused many on this board to see our program completely differently than everyone else.

+1. Same experience here. No negative on Whis except on tech boards. I can see the comparison with Gailey but he us definitely not that. Much better personality. He would represent Tech extremely well. Staff would be critical especially around recruiting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk