Paul Johnson to retire

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
The Clemson fan board is sad that they're losing an annual victory and will have another HC to compete with for GA recruits.

I don't think Kirby is too happy about losing a HC he just beat 83 to 28 the last 2 years.

Agree to disagree. It disrupted everything they had to do as coaches. They will now be able to prepare for a more normal O, and they still will see much less talent on the other side of the ball. You will see Chan Gailey, if we are lucky, all over again.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
I will always love Pauls competitiveness and his occasional gems he would drop here and there with the media. He brought a lot of success to Tech and strangely enough, gave tech a national identity by running the 3O, even though it also brought a lot of negative coverage as well. I sure won’t miss the same cliche commentary every game. “Assignment football”, “3 yards and cloud of dust”, “the bback is the fullback”.

With that said, I’ve felt the program had gone stale the last couple of years and I did want a change, even with us hanging on and putting a winning season together, I still wished we would look a different direction. But I was pretty sure with us not having a losing season after the 1-3 start Paul would stay. So it is a little surprising now.

I know people hate and love the offense. There’s nothing wrong with the 3O in terms of Xs and Os, it can be very effective offense when clicking, and fun to watch at times, but also be absolutely painful to watch when run poorly(yes I know every offense would be painful), but having a starting division 1 QB who can’t make an 8 yard throw is something I definitely don’t want to see again. My issue is that we already struggle with so many things that hender our recruiting and I think the 3O only furthered that aspect. It’s so easy to negatively recruit against it, even when it produces. I saw so many HS players saying they wouldn’t even consider tech and the offense. I understand the crowd that thinks we can only ever recruit 2 and 3 star players, and the 3O allowed us to compete with those players, but I hate that attitude and would want us to at least try to shoot higher. With GA having so much Hs talent as a state, I truely think bringing in an offense that is more appealing across the board to kids now days, we can snag a handful of 4 star players, get a few difference makers and we can really do some damage. No, we are never going to have a roster like UGA, but at least get those few we need. There’s no excuse to not recruit at least in the top 40-50 teams each year based on the talent in GA. We were just flat out not landing any of the top players, it’s just the truth.

Agree to disagree. It disrupted everything they had to do as coaches. They will now be able to prepare for a more normal O, and they still will see much less talent on the other side of the ball. You will see Chan Gailey, if we are lucky, all over again.

Nah, if we spread it out and fling it aroun to 4-5 WRs, we'll drive 'em nuts and exhaust their secondary. Their secondary could take whole plays off when they played us, as the Forward Pass was not a threat to them.

There's nothing that says we can't keep chop-blocking 'em either! :p

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Nah, if we spread it out and fling it aroun to 4-5 WRs, we'll drive 'em nuts and exhaust their secondary. Their secondary could take whole plays off when they played us, as the Forward Pass was not a threat to them.

Agree to disagree. We disagree. Let's leave it at that.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck

Not entirely sure what your eyes are looking at if you think the opposing secondary could take whole plays off. Nothing like playing CB and getting cut-blocked by an arc'ing A-Back or playing S and seeing an angry Parker Braun running straight at you.

But I do agree we should continue to chop block regardless of scheme. :LOL:

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

But that is exactly what NCSt does (and they have a future first round qb at the helm) and they only scored 7 against Clemson.

An offense around throwing *can* be successful. That is clear. But having a passing offense is not going to be what determines our success against Clemson.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
More option offense=tiny crowds in BDS

More losing = tiny crowds at BDS

Guys, everyone did not hate this offense - a lot of us loved it, because when executed, it gave us hope against greater talent. We are not going to be able to improve talent enough to overcome the lost advantage, but I hope I am wrong.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. Most people here i
Then, hold on for unpopularity.

You are the poster child for the frustration I have with our fanbase. Johnson has virtually identical career numbers as Gailey and worse than O’Leary and yet somehow during his tenure we went from a perennial bowl team to a lucky to win 5 games a year without him program. Wow.

I mean honestly, with fans like you, who needs enemies?

Not entirely sure what your eyes are looking at if you think the opposing secondary could take whole plays off. Nothing like playing CB and getting cut-blocked by an arc'ing A-Back or playing S and seeing an angry Parker Braun running straight at you.

But I do agree we should continue to chop block regardless of scheme. :LOL:

Obviously it was an exaggeration of the fact that, when you throw it as seldom as we have the past few years, the secondary doesn't have to pay much attention.

But that is exactly what NCSt does (and they have a future first round qb at the helm) and they only scored 7 against Clemson.

An offense around throwing *can* be successful. That is clear. But having a passing offense is not going to be what determines our success against Clemson.

For now, I'll settle on beating Duke. We weren't ever going to beat Clemson again under CPJ.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't blame CPJ one bit for walking away after that Saturday scrimmage in Athens.
The fire inside to compete with that must be almost out. I thank him for several great seasons but this doesn't hurt me nearly as bad as losing Oleary.