Paul Johnson to retire

herb

Helluva Engineer
I'll try to re-state what I think he was trying to say. I think it's important for us to sell the city more than it appears we have.

I also think it's important to have a coach who's relatable. Doesn't necessarily mean it can't be an old dude but it'd be tricky to find a fit.

No, he can own that. We can all read

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Frankly given the circumstances I am really wondering if his was a retirement or a firing. The more I think of it the more I think Johnson is not the kind of guy who runs from a challenge. I know there was a buzz through ACC coaches in the spring that Johnson was one of the coaches on the hot seat -- Fedora was another -- and that he had to win nine games to keep his job. I kind of shrugged it off, but now, given the timing, I think it likely the AD fired him. Otherwise wait until the signing periods, retire, and replace him with an acolyte running the same system. Nah, this just doesn't pass the smell test. The key will be finding out the payoff: $1 million retirement, $4 million firing.

We'll likely never know. Wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't some sort of handshake agreement when the extension last year was signed, that if Johnson didn't do "stipulation" that he would retire in exchange for a more concrete support for the year. Pure speculation but timing seems odd and the entire feel is that this wasn't a last minute decision.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
It would seem a terrible time to fire him. Signing day is in 3 weeks and our staff was doing in-home visits with recruits when they found out. We have big recruiting weekends lined up with some very good players and we just extended CPJ and hired a new DC. If he wins the bowl game we will be 8-5 and the buyout also drops next year. Only a few schools fire 8-5 coaches and we are not in that category. You don't make a move like this unless you are saying you are serious about big boy P5 football and you have a home run hire already lined up. You don't make a move like this and hire an up-and-coming SunBelt coach or a hot coordinator. You make a move like this to hire a Harbaugh or a Kirby Smart, which as much as I would like is simply not going to happen.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Frankly given the circumstances I am really wondering if his was a retirement or a firing. The more I think of it the more I think Johnson is not the kind of guy who runs from a challenge. I know there was a buzz through ACC coaches in the spring that Johnson was one of the coaches on the hot seat -- Fedora was another -- and that he had to win nine games to keep his job. I kind of shrugged it off, but now, given the timing, I think it likely the AD fired him. Otherwise wait until the signing periods, retire, and replace him with an acolyte running the same system. Nah, this just doesn't pass the smell test. The key will be finding out the payoff: $1 million retirement, $4 million firing.
I really don't think so he didn't seem like he was having fun like in the past. I think he will coach again but sometimes you just need to take a brake

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
I have a very bad feeling that whoever we get is going to be a downgrade; we may have some tough years ahead. I also have a feeling that Paul will resurface somewhere (the triple option is practically his second wife) as the interview he did does not sound like a man who is retiring for good.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
My first game was in 1962 at the age of 6. My grandfather was in the class of 22 and my father was in the class of 44. I am very sad to here of Paul's decision . In my life time I have only celebrated one coach stepping down (Bill Lewis) and have very little respect for anyone here celebrating the news today. We lose a treasure. Best of wishes to my favorite GT coach of all time. In the distance, I can still here Eric Zier saying he thinks he is going to be sick !

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
You are forgetting that Brainless hired Chan and Tstan is hiring our next coach.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Even a good to great coach will have trouble at my beloved GT. It is not an average football school, and recruiting has become even more difficult. I don't believe Gailey was a terrible head coach, by the way. He wasn't as good as PJ, in my opinion, but he knew football. GT is where coaches without a special knack go to die.

Serious question. How can we expect potential fans and recruits to get excited about GT football with that attitude? I don’t believe we can. And if we can’t do that, we might as well quit. Here is a quote from the Clemson board about our job opening. It would be nice if I saw anything like this on our board. Unfortunately optimism about our program is frowned upon on this board because it detracts from the mediocre work of Johnson. You clearly disagree, but this is the mindset that drives success. While it doesn’t guarantee success, without it you are guaranteed to fail.

“I knnow you hear people call North Carolina a "sleeping giant" and you here other schools called similar but to me Georgia Tech may fit that billing more than any other school. In that state, even getting the guys UGA don't recruit real hard you can build a winner. With the lack of talent Paul Johnson has recruited and running a high school offense he really hasn't been that bad at GT. With GT's academic stature and football history and with a little investment into facilities and upgrades there is absolutely no reason why GT shouldn't challenge for the Coastal every year or every other year. To me I wish Paul would coach 20 more years. The last thing I want is for our permanent cross division rival to get a competent head coach because I do think GT can be really really good with the right guy.”

Read more: https://www.tigernet.com/forum/thread/TNET-Paul-Johnson-expected-to-retire-1858559#ixzz5YBx5yQVd

yeah I pointed out the sadness from Clemson message boards and was met with snarky insults from the Johnsonians who laughably think the Clemsons and mutts of our schedule are happy about CPJ's department.

Embracing mediocrity has settled into our program and is a result of 11 years of "It Is What Is Is" football.

Thank God it's over.

GT_EE78

Banned
I have a very bad feeling that whoever we get is going to be a downgrade; we may have some tough years ahead. I also have a feeling that Paul will resurface somewhere (the triple option is practically his second wife) as the interview he did does not sound like a man who is retiring for good.
nah man, things will improve, no doubt his second wife divorced him too

herb

Helluva Engineer
Clemson has lost 4 games in that time, 2 to Alabama, 1 to Pitt and 1 to Syracuse. The school in Athens has lost 3 in that time, Alabama, auburn and LSU. If you are going to measure your success against these, you are going to be disappointed