Paul Johnson to retire

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. Most people here i

You are the poster child for the frustration I have with our fanbase. Johnson has virtually identical career numbers as Gailey and worse than O’Leary and yet somehow during his tenure we went from a perennial bowl team to a lucky to win 5 games a year without him program. Wow.

I mean honestly, with fans like you, who needs enemies?

And, you sir, are the same poster child for the frustration I have with our fan base. That make us even.

I don't know if you have noticed, but CF is a very BIG business, and we are small players as a STEM school in GA. I don't mind people being optimistic about wanting to improve, but realism also has to be part of that.

I will be happy to say "boaty was right" if we achieve greater success consistently in the next 4-5 years, but I do NOT believe it will happen trying to beat the big boys at their own game. The gap between the "haves" and "have nots" has increased significantly.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
Agreed. Most people here i

You are the poster child for the frustration I have with our fanbase. Johnson has virtually identical career numbers as Gailey and worse than O’Leary and yet somehow during his tenure we went from a perennial bowl team to a lucky to win 5 games a year without him program. Wow.

I mean honestly, with fans like you, who needs enemies?
I mean if we win the bowl game we average ...

Last 3 years: 7-5
Last 5 years: 7-5.4
11years: 7.5-5.4

All while setting records for graduating players and forging a path for long term success by pushing for better facilities, budget, etc. His lows sucked, but his highs were better than Chan could dream of and I loved every second of it.

You may have hated his offense. But he won. Won with class. And CPJ was the first real domino to getting GT football the resources it needs for success.

I truley hope a new coach consistently breaks the 'GT Ceiling' and I think the right choice can and will. But if they don't, and odds are they don't, I hope you are around when we go 7-6 every single year while graduating less and less players so you can tell us you told everyone so when we lose pretty passing for 400 yards and freaking out when we can't convert a 3rd and 1.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
And, you sir, are the same poster child for the frustration I have with our fan base. That make us even.

I don't know if you have noticed, but CF is a very BIG business, and we are small players as a STEM school in GA. I don't mind people being optimistic about wanting to improve, but realism also has to be part of that.

I will be happy to say "boaty was right" if we achieve greater success consistently in the next 4-5 years, but I do NOT believe it will happen trying to beat the big boys at their own game. The gap between the "haves" and "have nots" has increased significantly.

I agree that there are 4 to 5 programs that have taken off and left everyone else. Outside of that though there is still plenty of parity.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm with you on that. What he has done with the graduation rate, internships for the players, the character of the men he brought here, CPJ will be sorely missed.

Trust me, that's not changing. CPJ should credit where credit is due...but so should the Athletic Dept. That support system isn't leaving just because CPJ is, especially since TStan is making GT's Total Person initiative a big part of our recruiting and daily operating philosophy for SAs.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Couple of comments here:
A. I hope we can land one of the 2 top candidates- Monken or Whisenhunt. After that the list is pretty damn shaky. Wow, there’s some real ?’s being floated. Not sure if Monken wouldn’t cause a meltdown with the haters. It’s possible he’s not even an option. Pun intended.
B. Probably nobody knows if this was a plan Stansbury worked out with Johnson. If it wasn’t, I hope Stansbury wasn’t completely blindsided/ caught with his pants down without a plan because this hire is going to define his entire tenure at GT. We don’t need a repeat of Bobinski & Pastner hire where we practically begged someone to take the job.
C. In fairness to the recruits I’m glad this happened prior to signing. For the good of the program, maybe this isn’t optimal.
D. We probably upgraded our bowl game. I think we can rule out Shreveport, Detroit & Birmingham now. A nice send off in Nashville would be phenomenal. Can we get to kick Miss St’s butts one more time for old time’s sake?

All while setting records for graduating players and forging a path for long term success by pushing for better facilities, budget, etc. His lows sucked, but his highs were better than Chan could dream of and I loved every second of it.

You may have hated his offense. But he won. Won with class. And CPJ was the first real domino to getting GT football the resources it needs for success.

I truley hope a new coach consistently breaks the 'GT Ceiling' and I think the right choice can and will. But if they don't, and odds are they don't, I hope you are around when we go 7-6 every single year while graduating less and less players so you can tell us you told everyone so when we lose pretty passing for 400 yards and freaking out when we can't convert a 3rd and 1.

how will that be any different from the last 2 years though? I mean, we had close to 700 yards or something vs USF and lost. Or the opposite, where we slammed our heads into the wall vs Duke and lost 4 of the last 5?

How nice will it be to see an actual, real 2-minute offense, rather than one that involves QB Keepers?

I agree that CPJ was a class guy who graduated players, etc and I salute him for that. And even though I was wrong by 2 years, it was still time for a change. Stagnation and apathy had set in.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Trust me, that's not changing. CPJ should credit where credit is due...but so should the Athletic Dept. That support system isn't leaving just because CPJ is, especially since TStan is making GT's Total Person initiative a big part of our recruiting and daily operating philosophy for SAs.
And if that culture continues, it certainly is because of the legacy CPJ is leaving behind.
Going from ~50% grad rate to ~80% is nothing short of amazing.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer

Neither one of our previous 2 coaches missed bowl games once O’leary rebuilt us from 1-10. Johnson has missed 2 of 4. We haven’t been ranked since the second week of 2015. Has nothing to do with his offense and everything to do with his results. He didn’t get it done his last 4 years the way he did his first 7. That’s just a fact.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
And if that culture continues, it certainly is because of the legacy CPJ is leaving behind.
Going from ~50% grad rate to ~80% is nothing short of amazing.

Absolutely. Not taking anything away from CPJ...just saying it takes more than CPJ to make that machine run. CPJ absolutely deserves credit for creating that kind of culture. Anyone who's run a business or department knows culture can make or break an organization.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I think if Scott Satterfield is the next GT head coach that he'll retain Coach Woody as DC
I don't think PJ would have brought Woody in knowing that this may be his last year without leveling with him. And I don't think Woody would have come unless a sucession plan that he was happy with was in place knowing that. And I hope that is the case.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I don't think PJ would have brought Woody in knowing that this may be his last year without leveling with him. And I don't think Woody would have come unless a sucession plan that he was happy with was in place knowing that. And I hope that is the case.

I think getting pounded by UGAG took the desire out of him:cigar:

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer

Serious question. How can we expect potential fans and recruits to get excited about GT football with that attitude? I don’t believe we can. And if we can’t do that, we might as well quit. Here is a quote from the Clemson board about our job opening. It would be nice if I saw anything like this on our board. Unfortunately optimism about our program is frowned upon on this board because it detracts from the mediocre work of Johnson. You clearly disagree, but this is the mindset that drives success. While it doesn’t guarantee success, without it you are guaranteed to fail.

“I knnow you hear people call North Carolina a "sleeping giant" and you here other schools called similar but to me Georgia Tech may fit that billing more than any other school. In that state, even getting the guys UGA don't recruit real hard you can build a winner. With the lack of talent Paul Johnson has recruited and running a high school offense he really hasn't been that bad at GT. With GT's academic stature and football history and with a little investment into facilities and upgrades there is absolutely no reason why GT shouldn't challenge for the Coastal every year or every other year. To me I wish Paul would coach 20 more years. The last thing I want is for our permanent cross division rival to get a competent head coach because I do think GT can be really really good with the right guy.”

Read more: https://www.tigernet.com/forum/thread/TNET-Paul-Johnson-expected-to-retire-1858559#ixzz5YBx5yQVd

LibertyTurns

Banned

I know this is college football, but this is also business. There are no guarantees. Woody’s a big boy. A 1yr gig at GT is not going to kill him if that’s what ends up happening. That being said somebody’s going to have to start crapping some money if we want a $5M/yr head coach, $1M/r for OC & DC plus assistants. My bet is Woody is staying put because we really don;t have the resources to do anything different unless I’m sadly mistaken & there’s a Sugar Daddy out there under wraps.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Man, I now wish my investment in GT swag was a little smaller this year. I really loved PJ for the Institute, as I believed and still believe he was the right guy for the job. We are like a military academy (STEM school), that just happens to be a public college in GA. Our recruiting will most likely improve if PJ's system is discarded, but a 10-15% improvement in talent will NOT, imo, make enough difference against the Clem'sSon and UGAG's of the world if we run a standard offense against their NFL defenses.

Last thing, and I will try not to post again today - the happiest folks right now are Kirby Smart, Dabo, Foster, etc. who no longer have to worry about defending this offense. I promise you, I promise you, they respected it and it got their attention.
And if you don't believe that, go back and listen to Kirby Presser the week before the game this year. It wasn't typical coach speak either. As I recall he spent several minutes talking about why he didn't like to play against the option.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
We've gone a decade in football where our "Xs and Os" were almost always better than theirs (didn't matter who we were playing). We've been spoiled.

/

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Agree to disagree. It disrupted everything they had to do as coaches. They will now be able to prepare for a more normal O, and they still will see much less talent on the other side of the ball. You will see Chan Gailey, if we are lucky, all over again.
You are forgetting that Brainless hired Chan and Tstan is hiring our next coach.