Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
George O leary.... recruited when the school was still mostly georgia based students with a larger student body that actually liked football. Comparing the recruiting in 1998 to now is ridiculous.

Degree Options are a severe limitations in the age of twitter and instant access negative recruiting.

When I was at Tech in the 70's, I always heard the school was about 51/49 GA/ROW. I heard they kept it as just above 50% Ga to keep the politicians happy. Now, target admissions are 60% GA/30% non residents/10% international--check the website. So I don't know what you mean when you say "when the school was still mostly georgia based students". It still is, and seemingly more so.

When I was at Tech there was no Ivan Allen Liberal Arts college. Now, Tech has 10 liberal arts majors. The only math class that has calculus in the title for these majors is a one semester course called Survey of Calculus. These majors are no harder than you would find at UVA, Duke, or even UNC--all of which are in our conference and rated academically higher than us. And we lost to 2 out of 3 of those schools last year.

In 1990 about half of the 2 deep was from more than 300 miles from campus. It's a smaller percentage now. We are fishing in a smaller pond now. I don't know why, but I do know that people should not complain about getting quality athletes when we aren't casting as wide of a net as we used to.

It seems like some Tech fans would rather have the academic excuse than win football games.

Johnson came here with no experience at the P5 level and brought with him a bunch of assistants and ex-players from Navy who had no experience recruiting at a P5 level generally or in the southeast specifically.

Andy McCollum is able to recruit. He didn't come from Navy. If we had 6 or 7 Andy McCollums and ran an offense that kids want to play in, our recruiting would be vastly better. If Johnson would place a priority on hiring assistants who can recruit we might not be looking at our 6th non-winning season vs FBS in most recent 9 seasons. Instead, he keeps the same crew around. He is loyal to coaches and players and offensive schemes, but that stubbornness is about to cost him his job.

George O'Leary and Chan Gailey had NFL experience that was attractive to kids. What does Johnson have that is attractive to them? Yelling at them?

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Just want to put this out there for thought. IF PJ leaves at the end of the year I see a number of folks who want this coach or that coach yet I wonder if they completely understand what a hotshot FCS coach or even a top flight assistant FBS coach faces coming into Tech. NOTHING in FCS is going to prepare a coach for the job at hand coming into Tech. Most assistants who are ready for their own program are coming from programs where the academic side is given lip service at best. If y'all will remember after CCG was let go one of the things that was voiced as a criteria for the new coach was someone who understood the combination athletic and academics at Tech. Most if not all applauded the choice of PJ for that very reason. So when a new coach search is done it will be more difficult than most of you can imagine to hopefully get the correct hire.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
The reason i asked your major was for my own suspicions. Most of the ti e the people who discount the rigor and academic side did not go to tech. Its impossible to really understand not having a potential fall back on a non math heavy degree if your math skills arent that great coming out of school. I will quite trying to convince you otherwise as you really dont have the frame of reference. You have to have experienced it to understand.

As for gailey I wont argue he seemed to have figured something out. My guess is that it was the three and done plan. Aka well get you to the nfl in 3 so you should play for us where you will start immediately to get film and you dont have to be eligible all 4. Its what id do if Apr wasnt a thing. You sell that plan to a kid then he hets in and a lot of them realise its not so bad and they can do it. Those that dont you ride them until they fail or leave for the draft. Its what uga does. Its why they have a sub 50 percent grad rate.

On duke. I think cuttcliffe has made it easier to recruit. They have dumped a ton of money into it. They had 9 starters from outside the South on defense a d thanks to duke basketball their school has a national name. People tend to look at duke as if this is the duke from 2008. They also tend to forget that while cutcliffe was beuilding the program he loat to ua 6 straight years in a row. He lost to a lot of people. He is seeing the rewards of tine put in. Just like beamer did at vt and Dooley did after 20 years at uga.

The more you type, the more clueless you sound for various reasons. I really should have quit when you claimed that social media has exaggerated our challenge of limited majors.

While you may be a math genius, your grasp for football seems to be lacking so I’ll just stop. Take care.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Just want to put this out there for thought. IF PJ leaves at the end of the year I see a number of folks who want this coach or that coach yet I wonder if they completely understand what a hotshot FCS coach or even a top flight assistant FBS coach faces coming into Tech. NOTHING in FCS is going to prepare a coach for the job at hand coming into Tech. Most assistants who are ready for their own program are coming from programs where the academic side is given lip service at best. If y'all will remember after CCG was let go one of the things that was voiced as a criteria for the new coach was someone who understood the combination athletic and academics at Tech. Most if not all applauded the choice of PJ for that very reason. So when a new coach search is done it will be more difficult than most of you can imagine to hopefully get the correct hire.

So what about Brent Key? He went to Tech so has a clue about the academics, and is an assistant at big shot Sec school? I know he will want the Kirby deal, but so will all of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the flip side, a new coach is coming into one of the best states for HS football talent in America. Also coming into a major metropolitan area that's a hip-hop capital with plenty of 'entertainment opportunities' (in comparison to a place like, say, Blacksburg, VA or Stillwater, OK, etc). Hollywood makes a ton of TV shows and movies in Georgia. We have an NFL team that plays in a stadium rivaled only by Jerry's World. We have a MLB team and, allegedly, an NBA team. The PGA plays their season championship here. Also coming to a school with a great degree if you can make it through. Our campus itself is gorgeous and extremely modern. Atlanta is the corporate home of UPS, Home Depot, and many other corporate big names.

In short, it's not as bad as many claim it is. In fact, the only real hurdles are "Yeah but GT is hard academically with limited majors" and "There aren't a ton of hotties on campus".

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
He is seeing the rewards of tine put in. Just like beamer did at vt and Dooley did after 20 years at uga.

I guess this may be the most discouraging thing about CPJ's tenure. I was one of many who bought into the idea that if only we had a coach to stay for a significant period of time, we would build a recruiting network, establish an identity, recruit kids who fit the school and the system, develop depth so we could RS most if not all of our incoming frosh, etc. and actually build a program.

Paul has done his best but has been snakebit at times (Mills, Ratliffe, Benson,etc. etc.), a poor evaluator of coaching talent (Groh, Roof, Wommack), unsound in philosophies (St's coaches?), unlucky/unwise (getting stuck with Drad and then Bobo the Clown) for the majority of his time and perhaps naive (he said he came to GT because he thought he could compete for NC's here at the time he was hired).

I would love to see him win out and keep his job and then come back strong next year and right the ship. But, we are what our record says we are.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
On the flip side, a new coach is coming into one of the best states for HS football talent in America. Also coming into a major metropolitan area that's a hip-hop capital with plenty of 'entertainment opportunities' (in comparison to a place like, say, Blacksburg, VA or Stillwater, OK, etc). Hollywood makes a ton of TV shows and movies in Georgia. We have an NFL team that plays in a stadium rivaled only by Jerry's World. We have a MLB team and, allegedly, an NBA team. The PGA plays their season championship here. Also coming to a school with a great degree if you can make it through. Atlanta is the corporate home of UPS, Home Depot, and many other corporate big names.

In short, it's not as bad as many claim it is. In fact, the only real hurdles are "Yeah but GT is hard academically" and "There aren't a ton of hotties on campus".

And EVERY football program worth a damn is recruiting GA. I agree Atlanta is one of the top cities within a state with among the best talent in country. It is now and it will be, so? Do you honestly think a new coach is going to recruit significantly better? EVERY football program recruit hard in GA. Just HOW will a new coach change that?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
The more you type, the more clueless you sound for various reasons. I really should have quit when you claimed that social media has exaggerated our challenge of limited majors.

While you may be a math genius, your grasp for football seems to be lacking so I’ll just stop. Take care.

Lol nothing we have talked about has been football. So when and where did you play what position what system. What is the second read on a mills route concept?

And EVERY football program worth a damn is recruiting GA. I agree Atlanta is one of the top cities within a state with among the best talent in country. It is now and it will be, so? Do you honestly think a new coach is going to recruit significantly better? EVERY football program recruit hard in GA. Just HOW will a new coach change that?

I don't think a new coach can possibly recruit much WORSE than CPJ has. How to change that? I'm not a coach but having a more modern scheme will help right off the bat. Not being a media-hating ******* will help too. Frankly, given CPJ's holier-than-thou attitude, I'm amazed we get anyone to sign on. He must be all rainbows-and-unicorns when talking to kids' parents.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
In all fairness to @Boaty1, I think you would need to attend more than GT to be able to compare the rigor. Did you also attend another college? From my own experience, I can say that GT was tougher than the other colleges I attended.

I did. I also went to southern for 2 years due to gtrep / potential to play at the next level. Calc classes were gt with gt professors and tests but other classes that filled elective spots were very easy. After the football thing didnt pan out did my transfer and got out. Tech classes blew away anything else. Even the MIT courses ive taken sense being in the professional world.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
9d5abeab991c72eb63801c0c610a3688.png

Here’s what the mutts think...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I don't think a new coach can possibly recruit much WORSE than CPJ has. How to change that? I'm not a coach but having a more modern scheme will help right off the bat. Not being a media-hating ******* will help too. Frankly, given CPJ's holier-than-thou attitude, I'm amazed we get anyone to sign on. He must be all rainbows-and-unicorns when talking to kids' parents.

In other words all you have is speculation.

On a side note have you ever met PJ? Talked to him?

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck

A young, energetic coach would absolutely improve recruiting. CPJ has never put a big emphasis on it, and has mentioned many times how he thinks the rankings are not worth crap. He just doesn't have the personality of a recruiter, or someone who tries to sell the program or hype it up at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.