Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo71

Georgia Tech Fan
Yes...,it's OVER! No more excuses, philosophies, explanations, nothing! Got to get a REAL coach in here. I don't see why we can't (in Atlanta, top 5 recruiting state). Our football program is starting to fall wayyyyy behind when Tech can't beat Puke. All Tech can do now is just finish up the season now, but after the season is over and not a minute after....86 CPJ!

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
Gailey wasn't hamstrung by those constraints, as @Boaty1 has proven in several posts. Cutcliffe has also done a good job of bringing guys in to a non-football-factory school in a dead craphole town like Durham so I think he'd do well in a state like GA and town like ATL to recruit directly from.

Plus, he's been a great developer of the 3-star guys he's recruited. Much, much better at player development and coaching in general than CPJ, who is a glorified OC at best. CPJ's clock management (lack thereof), refusal to instill a hurry-up package, still running plays in from sidelines when we need to score quickly, refusing to pull an ice-cold QB TQM when everyone sees he's struggling, etc show he is actually a very poor gameday head football coach and decision maker. Plus, seeing our guys throwing punches is bush league and shows he's starting to lose control.

I'm done with him but sadly I don't think he'll be gone until after 2019 or 2020. I think we're in the bottoming-out process right now. We're only capable of beating very-bad teams nowadays.
I'm not a big fan of Durham. I've told people that it always feels like a rainy day there, even when the sun is shining. But my in-laws live there and love the place. Many people I've talked with do like the place, and I see it being attractive for a lot of people. Even if you don't like Durham, the entire Triangle area can have a lot to offer for the recruit. I don't know what the academic requirements were when Coach Gailey was here. He was hired when Clough was here, and I know President Clough was not nearly as big on athletics as President Crecine. So, he did have some of the same constraints as CPJ. However, I don't know how his SA graduation rate stacked up to Coach Johnson's.

With regard to constraints, remember Duke is not the same as Tech. Duke is more in the Stanford mold. They have a wider degree program than Tech and actually have something of a liberal arts program to offer potential athletes. Tech is hamstrung by the much narrower choice of degree programs, as well as the calculus rule. Coach Gailey's record was OK, but somewhat tepid. He was an excellent recruiter, had some great players, but didn't win many of the "big" games and let a number of winnable games slip away. Cutcliffe seems to be much superior at player development, yet would he really have done well at Tech? I tend to think not... not nearly as well as he's done at Duke. He is a perfect fit for Duke, as was CPJ the right fit for Tech.

Last edited:

GT_EE78

Banned
Don’t know what coach we would get, but I’ve not been thrilled with many of the suggestions/speculation so far. I would rather have CPJ another year and allow TStan take his time and hire the right guy for GT. If the guy you want isn’t available, don’t make an emotional decision and fire your current coach.

I think we can all agree that change is most likely coming. Might have one more season of CPJ, but it is hard to imagine going further than that.
One more year of CPJ just means one more year of being at the bottom of ACC recruiting.(and an another extra year for our future coach to dig out of this hole) The scary part is they might give him another contract extension. We can't start the future any sooner than today. The future does not include this offense

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps, but he would have been hamstrung by the same constraints CPJ has been under with the Hill, academics, Braine, etc. Who knows how that might have turned out... He may have already been run out of the Flats by now. Plus, CPJ is simply more entertaining a character.
And what constraints does Duke not have that we do. Don't use the calculus thing either. It is a watered down version of what engineers take. Duke is higher ranked academically than we are. So whst- they obviously have a better coach and a better system than we do. Definitely better defense.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
"And what constraints does Duke not have that we do. Don't use the calculus thing either. It is a watered down version of what engineers take. Duke is higher ranked academically than we are. So whst- they obviously have a better coach and a better system than we do. Definitely better defense."

It's an apples-and-oranges comparison. Duke may happen to be a more highly-ranked institution, but it's a very different kind of institution with different degree programs and different challenges for athletic recruiters. It's more like Stanford in that sense.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I wish we would've hire David Cutcliffe instead.

I agree. We had just graduated Calvin Johnson, who would undoubtedly become an NFL superstar. Then there was Bay Bay Thomas.
Cutcliffe would have kept that going. With his reputation with the Mannings and others, we would have become wide receiver U, and the QB's and the LTs would have come. Johnson was hired at a top 15 salary. Cutcliffe would have come much cheaper, and we could have spent more on assistants.

Instead, we hired the coach whose team threw the fewest passes of any FBS team. The advantage of two very good receivers for recruiting was lost forever. I did not like the Johnson hire, and this is the main reason why. Now we have endured 8 7/12 seasons of sub .500 football vs FBS teams.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I live 10 miles from duke. Durham is not as bad now as when I moved there after GT. It is much easier living than ATL and you guys can have the traffic. I don't think it is a big plus for recruiting but they are doing a better job than we are right now.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
I live 10 miles from duke. Durham is not as bad now as when I moved there after GT. It is much easier living than ATL and you guys can have the traffic. I don't think it is a big plus for recruiting but they are doing a better job than we are right now.
Traffic in the Triangle is pretty bad, especially on I-40 around Raleigh/Cary. But you're right, it doesn't compare to Atlanta's traffic. It's why I left for Charleston 20 years ago (but now our traffic is terrible).

stech81

Helluva Engineer
There are people who are more fans of Johnson than they are of GT.
Don't think that is the case. Some are like me I think it's time for him to go. But don't think we can find a good coach . Some coordinator but if they turn it around they will leave. Point Blank we are not in a good situation. No real named coach would take the job.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
That one thing is MAJOR to our most important sport! And what do you mean it depends on who you talk to ? You mean some of our fans like losing ?
No, I’m saying some like CPJ here, you not liking him here and saying he’s not good for GR is just an opinion not a FACT. Look, I’m not even saying we need to keep CPJ, I’d like us to hire someone new, but not because I think CPJ is a bad coach. If you don’t like T Stan for the hire of CPJ that’s fine and it’s your opinion. Personally though, I think he’s done a ton of GREAT things that out weigh what you call a MAJOR issue. JMO.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Don't think that is the case. Some are like me I think it's time for him to go. But don't think we can find a good coach . Some coordinator but if they turn it around they will leave. Point Blank we are not in a good situation. No real named coach would take the job.
Scott Satterfield would be the best of the group of head coaches that GT could hire and i think he would come to GT. I think North Carolina will be interested in him also. If he could build GT to be good enough to where another school would hire him away well good for him.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah & that’s our administration fault ! But you gotta atleast try & get out of a bad situation

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree. We had just graduated Calvin Johnson, who would undoubtedly become an NFL superstar. Then there was Bay Bay Thomas.
Cutcliffe would have kept that going. With his reputation with the Mannings and others, we would have become wide receiver U, and the QB's and the LTs would have come. Johnson was hired at a top 15 salary. Cutcliffe would have come much cheaper, and we could have spent more on assistants.

Instead, we hired the coach whose team threw the fewest passes of any FBS team. The advantage of two very good receivers for recruiting was lost forever. I did not like the Johnson hire, and this is the main reason why. Now we have endured 8 7/12 seasons of sub .500 football vs FBS teams.
If we would’ve hired Cutcliff then Sean Renfree would’ve came here & not left ! I think Cutcliff would’ve built something here

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not a big fan of Durham. I've told people that it always feels like a rainy day there, even when the sun is shining. But my in-laws live there and love the place. Many people I've talked with do like the place, and I see it being attractive for a lot of people. Even if you don't like Durham, the entire Triangle area can have a lot to offer for the recruit. I don't know what the academic requirements were when Coach Gailey was here. He was hired when Clough was here, and I know President Clough was not nearly as big on athletics as President Crecine. So, he did have some of the same constraints as CPJ. However, I don't know how his SA graduation rate stacked up to Coach Johnson's.

With regard to constraints, remember Duke is not the same as Tech. Duke is more in the Stanford mold. They have a wider degree program than Tech and actually have something of a liberal arts program to offer potential athletes. Tech is hamstrung by the much narrower choice of degree programs, as well as the calculus rule. Coach Gailey's record was OK, but somewhat tepid. He was an excellent recruiter, had some great players, but didn't win many of the "big" games and let a number of winnable games slip away. Cutcliffe seems to be much superior at player development, yet would he really have done well at Tech? I tend to think not... not nearly as well as he's done at Duke. He is a perfect fit for Duke, as was CPJ the right fit for Tech.
PJ was right for GT?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Scott Satterfield would be the best of the group of head coaches that GT could hire and i think he would come to GT. I think North Carolina will be interested in him also. If he could build GT to be good enough to where another school would hire him away well good for him.
I love Tech but if UNC and GT offered me a job I would take UNC. And I think he would also. But that is just a guess on my part. Maybe he would like a job that you beat your head against the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.