Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Don’t know what coach we would get, but I’ve not been thrilled with many of the suggestions/speculation so far. I would rather have CPJ another year and allow TStan take his time and hire the right guy for GT. If the guy you want isn’t available, don’t make an emotional decision and fire your current coach.

I think we can all agree that change is most likely coming. Might have one more season of CPJ, but it is hard to imagine going further than that.

This year is the extra year. If TStan wasn't making plans for a replacement in case this year went south then he's a fool.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
CPJ since Gailey recruits left ....
4 winning seasons in 8 years. This year likely makes it 4 in 9 years.
59 - 51 in that time period
42- 50 if you toss out the "easy wins" (SC State, Middle TN State, Western Carolina, Elon, Furman etc.)

I know he had a nice start when he had Gailey's players (Nesbitt, Dwyer, etc) but he's been a mediocre coach at best since then.

With VPI, Miami & UGA ahead, it looks like no bowl game for fourth time in five years

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm still happy Paul Johnson became our coach. I was pleased with the decision at the beginning, especially with what he did at Navy. When Coach Gailey was hired, I winced in much the same way I did when Bill Lewis was hired. It seemed like an unnatural fit for Tech, as if they just decided from the leftovers of the pickings and needed to make a decision quick. CCG did better than I thought he would. In hindsight I feel pretty bad about being a loud, vocal proponent of CCG getting fired. It's the reason I'm actually on this site now (Some of you may remember the CanChan web site, which ultimately became one of the forerunners to this web site: BbuzzOfF :unsure:) . I don't want to be that way about CPJ when things are down, especially since he has a decent body of work at Tech and has done well for both the school and Tech athletics. I hope he can retire here in an honorable way, and perhaps even help in the search for a new HC.

I'm still happy Paul Johnson became our coach. I was pleased with the decision at the beginning, especially with what he did at Navy. When Coach Gailey was hired, I winced in much the same way I did when Bill Lewis was hired. It seemed like an unnatural fit for Tech, as if they just decided from the leftovers of the pickings and needed to make a decision quick. CCG did better than I thought he would. In hindsight I feel pretty bad about being a loud, vocal proponent of CCG getting fired. It's the reason I'm actually on this site now (Some of you may remember the CanChan web site, which ultimately became one of the forerunners to this web site: BbuzzOfF :unsure:) . I don't want to be that way about CPJ when things are down, especially since he has a decent body of work at Tech and has done well for both the school and Tech athletics. I hope he can retire here in an honorable way, and perhaps even help in the search for a new HC.

I wish we would've hire David Cutcliffe instead.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Here's my 2 cents. PJ has not improved his recruiting to keeK pace with our competition. Duke has his O figured out well enough to beat us now consistently. Our ST play has never been good other than Butker years and only because he kicked out of the enD zone. This O has run its course. It could be improved in a few areas but PJ refuses to adjust. He thinks simplifying is the answer but it makes it easier to defend. It's time to move on.

Perhaps, but he would have been hamstrung by the same constraints CPJ has been under with the Hill, academics, Braine, etc. Who knows how that might have turned out... He may have already been run out of the Flats by now. Plus, CPJ is simply more entertaining a character.

Gailey wasn't hamstrung by those constraints, as @Boaty1 has proven in several posts. Cutcliffe has also done a good job of bringing guys in to a non-football-factory school in a dead craphole town like Durham so I think he'd do well in a state like GA and town like ATL to recruit directly from.

Plus, he's been a great developer of the 3-star guys he's recruited. Much, much better at player development and coaching in general than CPJ, who is a glorified OC at best. CPJ's clock management (lack thereof), refusal to instill a hurry-up package, still running plays in from sidelines when we need to score quickly, refusing to pull an ice-cold QB TQM when everyone sees he's struggling, etc show he is actually a very poor gameday head football coach and decision maker. Plus, seeing our guys throwing punches is bush league and shows he's starting to lose control.

I'm done with him but sadly I don't think he'll be gone until after 2019 or 2020. I think we're in the bottoming-out process right now. We're only capable of beating very-bad teams nowadays.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
Nope, I just don’t let 1 bad thing out weigh a ton of good things. Especially when that 1 thing is subject depending on who you talk to. I’m also not going to complain about that one bad thing when I have no clue who affected that decision beyond T Stan, but you must know that it was strictly T Stan who made that decision.
That one thing is MAJOR to our most important sport! And what do you mean it depends on who you talk to ? You mean some of our fans like losing ?

Ramblin741

Banned
Where is CPJ’s press conference? I guess it’s about time to throw the baby out with the bath water , is what it is. We are going to be a dumpster for years to come trying to switch to a new offense

Status
Not open for further replies.