Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I don’t know Tstan’s mind. If he decides to make a change I believe it will be because he thinks he can make an improvement for the program. If he does I will support his decision. If he chooses to maintain our current staff I will support that as well.

But man I’m glad some of you fools have no say!

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
If TStan is on top of it, he's already built a slate and is schmoozing potential candidates. When Mullen left MS State for Florida, they announced his replacement almost immediately. TStan should go forth and do likewise.

Homer Rice was well known for literally having a written list of replacement coaches on his person at all times for our teams. This was related to me by a person still at the GTAA.

It was for any emergency that might arise, not just in case someone was fired.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
Could be worse. We could have Mike Gundy as a head coach....lol. All hail the mullet!!! LOL
Ahh yes the mullet and one of twelve? coaches to win 100 games in ten years. Most GT has ever had was something in the 70-80 range IIRC

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
The Big12 is garbage though. He's 2-10 against Oklahoma even Paul Johnson has won more against UGA.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Fire/resign in December.
(For recruiting purposes for both players & coaches)
Hire Goose HC with Brent Key OC
Keep Woody on a year leash.

Can't tell if joking?

I don't know if you follow GT basketball, but this is the same conversation we had over there with Mark Price. Yes, Godsey is a beloved former Tech athlete, but that is the only reason his name gets brought up. He is currently QB coach for one of the worst teams in the NFL. Might as well bring up Ken Zampese. Who? The Brown's QB coach. Seems just as relevant to me. If Godsey did not play for Tech, nobody would even mention his name as a possible Tech HC without getting laughed out of the room. If we fire CPJ, we better as heck do better than that.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
The Big12 is garbage though. He's 2-10 against Oklahoma even Paul Johnson has won more against UGA.
Big 12 has been higher rated than the ACC 10 of the last 12 years by SP+. It's not as strong at the top For sure, but it's deeper.
OU has finished ranked all but two of the 13 seasons he has been at OSU and has finished top 10 8 total times. Two wins over big brother rival
uGA has finished ranked all but three of the 10 seasons PJ has been here and uGA has finished top 10 three times. Three wins over rival. Difference in the situations is night and day.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Fire/resign in December.
(For recruiting purposes for both players & coaches)
Hire Goose HC with Brent Key OC
Keep Woody on a year leash.

goose as hc, no way for me. Not there, not ready, think that would be a miss. We can do better imo. If he is HC material he is still years away. Needs a better track record still. He was not doing well as a OC in the NFL. He may need to go to the ncaa for a bit and prove it first before tech. He would be an experiment at this stage

JacketBrad

Georgia Tech Fan
Agree with the comments on Goose. I don't think he would make a great head coach, especially for college. Brent Key, however, would be a good hire. Great recruiter, and he's had a chance to work under the best head coach in the history of college football for the past 2 yrs.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I would just like to see CPJ have one ( more ) QB that could run and pass almost equally. JT was an adequate passer, just enough to make it dangerous. But I really want to see if TO, LJ or JG can be the QB that enables CPJ to really open up his playbook. I really don't think it has happened yet. Closest he has come is JT. 2019 or 2020 ?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
goose as hc, no way for me. Not there, not ready, think that would be a miss. We can do better imo. If he is HC material he is still years away. Needs a better track record still. He was not doing well as a OC in the NFL. He may need to go to the ncaa for a bit and prove it first before tech. He would be an experiment at this stage

“In Godsey’s two seasons at the helm of the Houston offense, the Texans claimed back-to-back AFC South Division titles and earned a win over Oakland in the AFC Wild Card round in 2016. In 2015, Houston became the only NFL team since 1950 to make the playoffs with four different starting quarterbacks winning at least one regular season game.“

Goose got a raw deal and was a scapegoat at the Texans, so I’m gonna disagree and applaud what he was able to accomplish with NO QUARTERBACK.

Perfect Hire, why?
1. Notoriety (Gets the fans excited, laymen recognize the name. He beat UGA.)
2. Media savvy (infinitely better than current coach)
3. NFL experience (vital for recruiting TOP talent, would be the qb whisperer for GT)
4. College experience (was a good recruiter)
5. Offense play caller (Took Bryan Hoyer to the playoff nuff said)

He and Key would come up with an excellent scheme for GT. Be great for marketing. Know the market and the institution. Win Win winning.

Last edited:

RiseUpATL

Banned
“In Godsey’s two seasons at the helm of the Houston offense, the Texans claimed back-to-back AFC South Division titles and earned a win over Oakland in the AFC Wild Card round in 2016. In 2015, Houston became the only NFL team since 1950 to make the playoffs with four different starting quarterbacks winning at least one regular season game.“

Goose got a raw deal and was a scapegoat at the Texans, so I’m gonna disagree and applaud what he was able to accomplish with NO QUARTERBACK.

Perfect Hire, why?
3. NFL experience (vital for recruiting TOP talent, would be the qb whisperer for GT)

He and Key would come up with an excellent scheme for GT. Be great for marketing. Know the market and the institution. Win Win winning.

The NFL thing would be great for us no doubt. I remember Jeremiah Attouchu citing Groh as the reason he chose GT because of the NFL pedigree. Jeremiah went to play in the NFL.

I can’t say Id be against it. Goose was definitely made a scapegoat in Houston.

I would just like to see CPJ have one ( more ) QB that could run and pass almost equally. JT was an adequate passer, just enough to make it dangerous. But I really want to see if TO, LJ or JG can be the QB that enables CPJ to really open up his playbook. I really don't think it has happened yet. Closest he has come is JT. 2019 or 2020 ?

Agreed but I think CPJ will likely hamstring the strengths of James Graham by putting the poor kid under center rather than in the shotgun, where he thrived in HS. CPJ's history shows he would rather force the square peg into the round hole than make the hole square.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Agreed but I think CPJ will likely hamstring the strengths of James Graham by putting the poor kid under center rather than in the shotgun, where he thrived in HS. CPJ's history shows he would rather force the square peg into the round hole than make the hole square.

I can’t disagree.

Did I mention Goose isn’t even 40 yet. Perfect coach for GT.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer

Perfect Hire, why?

Just watching the Tulane-Memphis game. What about Willie Fritz? He took Monkens triple option offense and made it into a dangerous run pass option team. I think he could make the transition a lot easier with the players we already have. While at GSU 2014-2015 he gave us and UGA all we wanted. 2016 GSU struggled and still had most of their talent from Fritz’s 2 years.

Only thing is idk how good he would do with recruiting? Which is a major necessity in our next hire imo.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

Perfect Hire, why?

And demoted and let go. Someones personal profile will always make them look good. The reality was is he was in over his head.

Simply my opinion, one you dont share, is he is not ready and would be too experimental. Maybe in a few years. Needs to be more like scott frost route.

Status
Not open for further replies.