Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree with the comments on Goose. I don't think he would make a great head coach, especially for college. Brent Key, however, would be a good hire. Great recruiter, and he's had a chance to work under the best head coach in the history of college football for the past 2 yrs.

Key is a really interesting name. He was made Associate HC and "HC in Waiting" at UCF under O'Leary, while Stansbury was there. O'Leary and Key built UCF from nothing to a perennial winner and then canned them during one bad season (TStan had left). Scott Frost inherited their roster and was winning again the next year.

Key got a $700k buyout of the UCF's commitment to make him the next HC and a job on Saban's staff. Saban shook up his staff in order to bring him in*. Talk about landing on your feet.

TStan thought he was ready to lead a FBS program in 2014, if O'Leary retired. Key would be a really interesting guy to bring in whether we're looking for a new HC or not. Supposed to be a really good coach, recruiter, offensive mind... Unfortunately, I doubt CPJ would be willing to hire him as something like an OL/AHC, since he doesn't run CPJ's system. He'd be such an overall upgrade to Sewak.

*https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2016/03/why_nick_saban_shook_up_his_st.html

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Key is a really interesting name. He was made Associate HC and "HC in Waiting" at UCF under O'Leary, while Stansbury was there. O'Leary and Key built UCF from nothing to a perennial winner and then canned them during one bad season (TStan had left). Scott Frost inherited their roster and was winning again the next year.

Key got a $700k buyout of the UCF's commitment to make him the next HC and a job on Saban's staff. Saban shook up his staff in order to bring him in*. Talk about landing on your feet.

TStan thought he was ready to lead a FBS program in 2014, if O'Leary retired. Key would be a really interesting guy to bring in whether we're looking for a new HC or not. Supposed to be a really good coach, recruiter, offensive mind... Unfortunately, I doubt CPJ would be willing to hire him as something like an OL/AHC, since he doesn't run CPJ's system. He'd be such an overall upgrade to Sewak.

*https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2016/03/why_nick_saban_shook_up_his_st.html
After looking up Key, I think that he would be a good HC option if we make that change. He can definitely recruit and is a young guy who can bring some excitement to the program. I would rather bring Goose in as the OC and have Key as HC.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer

Good post . Another reason why I like TStan. He has a lot of good contacts and connections , if the need arises.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Agreed but I think CPJ will likely hamstring the strengths of James Graham by putting the poor kid under center rather than in the shotgun, where he thrived in HS. CPJ's history shows he would rather force the square peg into the round hole than make the hole square.
My thoughts/fears EXACTLY . But he has signed some more versatile QBs lately. Maybe he can change......a little ??

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree with the comments on Goose. I don't think he would make a great head coach, especially for college. Brent Key, however, would be a good hire. Great recruiter, and he's had a chance to work under the best head coach in the history of college football for the past 2 yrs.
Of the two, i would prefer Brent Key over Goose, my number 1 choice is still Lane Kiffin

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
I've pretty much quit posting on this board because almost everything on here is wrong. Just on this page Forensicbuzz and Vespidae are both wrong. So is Charles.
What is this?:

Applied Languages and Intercultural Studies (ALIS)
Computational Media (CM)
Economics (ECON)
Economics and International Affairs (EIA)
Global Economics and Modern Languages (GEML)
History, Technology, and Society (HTS)
International Affairs (INTA)
International Affairs and Modern Languages (IAML)
Literature, Media, and Communication (LMC)
Public Policy (PUBP)

It's a list of liberal arts majors at Tech.

Dreaded calculus? These majors and the business degree require a one semester course called Survey of Calculus. If you went to a school like Duke, you'd have to take 2 years of foreign language, which to most left brained people is worse than one semester of Survey of Calculus.

This "we can't compete because of academics" is complete garbage and an excuse for losers. We are not competing because we don't have leadership that cares about athletic success. That starts with Peterson. However, if the alumni demanded a change, we'd get a change. But judging from the comments on this board, they would rather make excuses.

That's all.

My daughter graduated from Tech with a degree in International Affairs. I feel I have some good insight to the workload and some comparisons with other colleges.
She had several good friends go to UGA and major in various degrees there. One Christmas I heard them compare the workloads. The amount of material that my daughter covered in a semester was double what was expected of the UGA students. They also had more opportunities for propping up grades with papers and homework. Her classes for the most part had the typical Tech 3 tests. You either made your grade there or you didn’t. The liberal arts degrees at Tech are for the most part highly rated nationally and are challenging. There are no easy majors at Tech for athletes to hide in like Sociology at Duke.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
And demoted and let go. Someones personal profile will always make them look good. The reality was is he was in over his head.

Simply my opinion, one you dont share, is he is not ready and would be too experimental. Maybe in a few years. Needs to be more like scott frost route.

He was the scapegoat for an awful GM decision.
Osweiler was a coach killing machine that Houston paid 72 Million for.

“The Texans ranked 19th in total offense in 2015 despite using four different quarterbacks: Brian Hoyer, Ryan Mallett, T.J. Yates and Brandon Weeden.”
Goose got a raw deal.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ch...ssistant-George-Godsey-part-ways-10860941.php

Boss Ross

Jolly Good Fellow
After looking up Key, I think that he would be a good HC option if we make that change. He can definitely recruit and is a young guy who can bring some excitement to the program. I would rather bring Goose in as the OC and have Key as HC.
Why would you want to bring goose as o c he is not very good .

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I prefer Goose cause of the name recognition and his experience as an OC but either or are OK HC/OC combo is OK with me.

They both will have Saban/Belichick lineage. They’ve worked together at UCF with O’Leary and helped rebuild the program. Both GT graduates and played together.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Of the two, i would prefer Brent Key over Goose, my number 1 choice is still Lane Kiffin
I don’t understand the hype over Kiffin. Other than building a little excitement over Tennessee for a year then jumping ship to USC he hasn’t done anything impressive to me. Run Sabans offense? Any OC for Saban is gonna look good. Give me the best player at every position in the country and Bamas defense and I’ll look good too.

My thoughts/fears EXACTLY . But he has signed some more versatile QBs lately. Maybe he can change......a little ??

Frankly, Graham could save his job. Put the kid in the 'gun, show people you can modernize, and watch the kid throw for 2000 yds and run for 1000. Job secured.

But putting him under center and letting him run a bunch of TQM QB Keepers should get him fired.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I don’t understand the hype over Kiffin. Other than building a little excitement over Tennessee for a year then jumping ship to USC he hasn’t done anything impressive to me. Run Sabans offense? Any OC for Saban is gonna look good. Give me the best player at every position in the country and Bamas defense and I’ll look good too.

He has good offenses, FIU has a good offense.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
He was the scapegoat for an awful GM decision.
Osweiler was a coach killing machine that Houston paid 72 Million for.

“The Texans ranked 19th in total offense in 2015 despite using four different quarterbacks: Brian Hoyer, Ryan Mallett, T.J. Yates and Brandon Weeden.”
Goose got a raw deal.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ch...ssistant-George-Godsey-part-ways-10860941.php

Bob took over the offense after the 2 game of the season.

We can debate all u want. I am not changing my opinion that he is not ready to run our program.

U have your opinion as well, cool. Nothing more to debate.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I prefer Goose cause of the name recognition and his experience as an OC but either or are OK HC/OC combo is OK with me.

How much name recognition does he have outside the GT community, and maybe — MAYBE — a handful of NFL fans in Houston, Boston, and Detroit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Frankly, Graham could save his job. Put the kid in the 'gun, show people you can modernize, and watch the kid throw for 2000 yds and run for 1000. Job secured.

But putting him under center and letting him run a bunch of TQM QB Keepers should get him fired.

Do you think Graham may transfer after this season? Do you think he would be more or less likely to transfer if he burns his redshirt this year? Not a trick question. I’m just wondering what could be going through his head after transferring to us during a difficult season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Do you think Graham may transfer after this season? Do you think he would be more or less likely to transfer if he burns his redshirt this year? Not a trick question. I’m just wondering what could be going through his head after transferring to us during a difficult season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s a paranoia most Tech fans seem to have. And I’ll admit, I’m one of them. I’ve had this thought pop in my head as well. Along with the “Who will we lose if PJ goes???” ... The life of a Tech fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.