Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
It's going to be real hot if we lose this weekend. Not able to win on the road has become a sore point and can be pointed out as a coaching fault. I have been more concerned about our poor performance on defense for so many years now. Why hasn't there been more emphasis on that. The O has been good enough most years. ST has not been good for most of his tenure for some reason. Those are the areas that I have wanted him to improve.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Sure, but they typically arent central to a story. Just saying its another indication the heat is on, but thats obvious already.

The one "donor" that he quoted said that his understanding is that if GT goes to a bowl, then CPJ will definitely be back next year, while if GT does not go to a bowl that it does not mean he won't be back. Or ...If GT wins he will be back, if GT doesn't he might be back.... Doesn't sound like he just wants Johnson gone.

Ken also quoted four season ticket holders. Two want him gone. Two want him to stay. One of the two that want him gone has "a large network of Tech fans and alumni" that want CPJ gone. I knew GT "fans" who wanted CPJ gone in 2008. It would not be hard to find two 100% detractors and two 100% supporters at ANY GT game from ANY GT season.

This entire story reads like an "idea" that was expanded to fill a one-page internet story. There isn't any real substance.(Two season ticket holder support him, two season ticket holders don't support him, one AT Fund board member says if things go very poorly he might not be retained, an internet petition gained 300 signatures) It seems as though Ken has to fill a certain amount of content, but the quality of the content isn't as important as the quantity.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
It will be a lot easier to justify keeping PJ another year if he goes to a bowl. It would be a lot easier if we could have won against either Pitt or USF. The rest of the schedule is real iffy. Getting 4 more wins will be tough.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Personally, I don't care at all about this game in terms of CPJs future. I care about it for the future of our season. .......

Agree 100%. I just want us to win. Looking back since 1995, CPJ, Gailey and O'Leary have been about the same with CPJ sinking below them in the last few years. So while a change in coaches would be entertaining and increase interest by holding out the possibility of a better outcome, it isn't certain. CPJ has his strengths and weaknesses as all coaches do. Overall, he's had his chance and not made a big difference. So I'm ambivalent about CPJ since there is nothing I'm going to do about it.

I just hope to enjoy the game on Friday and follow-up with a win over USCe on Saturday.
https://gtswarm.com/threads/114-years-of-gt-football-–-how-will-history-repeat.15192/
image.png

stech81

Helluva Engineer
If you disagree with Ken than you need to call him. By doing this you will know what he wants . The bad part if a beat writer is out to get a coach fired it's not hard to write an article to make him look bad or good. You could read this message board and write one and make it sound good or bad for CPJ. I'm still on the fence I want to see if we can turn the season around, I don't want to lose to get a new coach. I still trust CPJ to know when it's time for him to go, not us or a beat writer.
Here is the problem the people who want change will do more than the ones who don't. If you don't think the local newspaper can keep it up to get a coach fired you better look back a history it has happen even at uga.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
If you disagree with Ken than you need to call him. By doing this you will know what he wants . The bad part if a beat writer is out to get a coach fired it's not hard to write an article to make him look bad or good. You could read this message board and write one and make it sound good or bad for CPJ. I'm still on the fence I want to see if we can turn the season around, I don't want to lose to get a new coach. I still trust CPJ to know when it's time for him to go, not us or a beat writer.
Here is the problem the people who want change will do more than the ones who don't. If you don't think the local newspaper can keep it up to get a coach fired you better look back a history it has happen even at uga.
It's hard to disagree with Ken in my opinion;)

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Fact some want CPJ gone some don't. If he goes some will not want the next head coach because he is not the one they wanted. Some will be happy with the new coach till we start to lose. Fact unless we win we are going to have some pissed off. Let it play out and come to the games and don't take it out on the players.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
It'll probably come down to how the season finishes out if 7-5 is good enough. You can't really sugar coat the Pitt loss, but if 3/4 other loses are to Clemson, UGA, and USF and all three win out then it won't look terrible in hindsight. The way we played in the three losses so far was inexcusable, but I think most fans will have a short memory and look at the final record. If we go bowling at 6-6 then we probably have to win the bowl game in a solid way to appease most fans and donors. We don't really have to clout to justify firing a coach with a winning record unless we throw wads of cash that we don't have at the new guy.

Collinttaylor

Georgia Tech Fan
I personally am just tired of the lack of recruiting. No 4 or 5 star want to come play in a triple option offense, getting rid of Russel will definitely be a helping hand in advancements to our future recruiting classes. I also believe Georgia Tech running the triple option benefits UGA extremely b/c they're not having to battle with any in-state school for GA recruits. UGA spends way more money than us and has a better football program, so I am not completely blaming CPJ for UGA's rise, I am just saying it certainly benefits them when it comes to in-state high school kids. I think getting rid of CPJ will bring in better players and make our games much more exciting to watch. I know I am not the only one tired of watching 50+ rushes a game. Heres to CPJ hopefully retiring and grabbing Les Miles to turn this program around. (wishful thinking)

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

Personally, I am a much bigger fan of that chart that occasionally gets posted with each individual season broken out by coach. As has been noted about five bigillion times, while Gailey and CPJ now have a similar "averages," I value a mix of higher highs and lower lows over a string of average seasons. CPJ has averaged 10.3 wins in his three best season and 4.6 wins in his three worst seasons, while Gailey averaged 7.6 wins in his three best seasons and 7 wins in his three worst seasons. Personally, I see a big difference there. Value that difference however you want, but I know which one I would choose.

(NOTE: this is not a statement that the last four years have been good enough or that he should be retained if we have another losing season, just a comment on the comparison made in your chart.)

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I personally am just tired of the lack of recruiting. No 4 or 5 star want to come play in a triple option offense, getting rid of Russel will definitely be a helping hand in advancements to our future recruiting classes. I also believe Georgia Tech running the triple option benefits UGA extremely b/c they're not having to battle with any in-state school for GA recruits. UGA spends way more money than us and has a better football program, so I am not completely blaming CPJ for UGA's rise, I am just saying it certainly benefits them when it comes to in-state high school kids. I think getting rid of CPJ will bring in better players and make our games much more exciting to watch. I know I am not the only one tired of watching 50+ rushes a game. Heres to CPJ hopefully retiring and grabbing Les Miles to turn this program around. (wishful thinking)
a) you are talking millions; b) you are talking about a guy fired, by definition a retread; c) and yes, it is wishful thinking. Thank goodness. I am not a fan of "fire the coach" dialogue, with anybody, but if that is the discussion it should be about the art of the possible.

Deleted member 2897

This is a popular refrain from people. But we weren't getting 4 and 5 star recruits en masse on offense before CPJ either. Now things change, so it might actually be a large part of what's going on with recruiting. So here's the thing - we just don't know. So to me, Todd and others should make an unemotional decision on CPJ based on the facts and not on conjecture. If he's not winning enough games, then you look for a better coach, regardless of if CPJ is getting 3-stars and below or not. If he's winning enough games, you keep him regardless of if he's getting 3-stars and below or not. There is no way to prove the what-ifs. I could make a statement right now that we would have a much better chance of getting highly regarded QBs and WRs if we switched to an air-raid offense. You can't refute it. I can't really defend it. We just don't know. Its all about winning and losing. If they get rid of CPJ, I am all for getting the best possible coach, regardless of the scheme.

Deleted member 2897

It's going to be real hot if we lose this weekend. Not able to win on the road has become a sore point and can be pointed out as a coaching fault. I have been more concerned about our poor performance on defense for so many years now. Why hasn't there been more emphasis on that. The O has been good enough most years. ST has not been good for most of his tenure for some reason. Those are the areas that I have wanted him to improve.

To your point, some info about Louisville:
* #90 S&P+ rating, #82 FEI.
* Was winning only 14-7 over Indiana STATE in the 4th quarter of their game.
* Was losing 14-6 to Western Kentucky in the 4th quarter, and barely won by 3.
* Blown out by a questionable Virginia team 27-3.
* Lost to a terrible Florida State team.
* Averaging 19 points a game.

As much as I want to say road games are hard, Louisville is better than their stats and records say, etc. etc., that's the same excuses you'd have to use for USF and Pitt. I mean out of USF, Pitt, and Louisville, I could see going 2-1 and then just saying 'well its hard to win all 3 road games'. But you can't LOSE all 3.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This is a popular refrain from people. But we weren't getting 4 and 5 star recruits en masse on offense before CPJ either. Now things change, so it might actually be a large part of what's going on with recruiting. So here's the thing - we just don't know. So to me, Todd and others should make an unemotional decision on CPJ based on the facts and not on conjecture. If he's not winning enough games, then you look for a better coach, regardless of if CPJ is getting 3-stars and below or not. If he's winning enough games, you keep him regardless of if he's getting 3-stars and below or not. There is no way to prove the what-ifs. I could make a statement right now that we would have a much better chance of getting highly regarded QBs and WRs if we switched to an air-raid offense. You can't refute it. I can't really defend it. We just don't know. Its all about winning and losing. If they get rid of CPJ, I am all for getting the best possible coach, regardless of the scheme.
You say 4 and 5 star recruits en masse hell , we arent even a whimper for any of them. Show me how many 4 or 5 star recruits visited GT in the past 2 or 3 years, it would be easier to find a copperhead at Grant Field

Status
Not open for further replies.