Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Here is the truth of where we are now. We used to discuss what we should expect, 8, or 9, or 10 wins. Now we are relieved to make it to a 2nd tier bowl. It is what it is. I don't want CPJ fired, I just want him to exit on a positive note so we can move onto our next chapter which is coming soon, like it or not.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

To put this perspective, Auburn has a wpct of 0.65 under Malzahn. Which is 8 wins a year.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Really?

Because you were 3nd in the ACC in scoring PPG
https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/points-per-game

and 11th in the country (and 2nd in the ACC) in offensive efficiency
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feioff

I feel like your definition of "everyone else" is different than mine.

You have to excuse us lifelong GT fans. We are deep in our feelings this week upon the confirmation that we have to endure yet another year of torture from the vast multitude of inbred mutt fans surrounding us in our daily lives. It takes some of us a bit longer to step back from the ledge...

Milwaukee

Banned
Really?

Because you were 3nd in the ACC in scoring PPG
https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/points-per-game

and 11th in the country (and 2nd in the ACC) in offensive efficiency
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feioff

I feel like your definition of "everyone else" is different than mine.

I'm pro PJ, but 11th in a stat column does what for us exactly? Who gives a damn about the stats besides the people using them as a way to justify losses. If that stat correlated to us being the 11th best team in the nation then I'd thump my chest about it right along with you, but it doesn't. Stats, like slot machines, are for losers.

panther42

Jolly Good Fellow
What horse crap.....stop caring about UGA, then all he does is whine about the loss to UGA......a loss that was no different than 10 other teams suffered this year to them......many of which are far ahead of Tech WRT to recruits, spending etc.
I think this is a great strategy! You can't go from 6 to midnight over night, but you can build a good program that is consistently in the top 25 (not that that really means anything). I don't think anyone will ever quit worrying about UGA, but if we build a solid foundation we can at least go into the game being single digit underdogs vs double digit.
The first goal all coaches admit to is winning the division, then the conference, then the bowl game.

Aim small, miss small!

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Here is the truth of where we are now. We used to discuss what we should expect, 8, or 9, or 10 wins. Now we are relieved to make it to a 2nd tier bowl. It is what it is. I don't want CPJ fired, I just want him to exit on a positive note so we can move onto our next chapter which is coming soon, like it or not.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

If you look at our recruiting vs our peers and the records of our peers, we should expect 4-6 wins per year. We were third in the ACC this year. Yet we were what bottom 3 in average recruiting rankings? To expect 8,9 or 10 wins is not looking at the problems we have at Tech outside of the coaching staff. Even a lot of the coaching issues are a lack of money.

Our football spend is 61 out of 65 compared to all P5 schools and most recruits are not academically eligible to go to school here So that should equal to 8,9 or 10 wins per year? Some of you guys are just not looking at the facts and live in a dream world and think a new coach will magically solve all these core issues and have us competing with the dwags and Clemson. The logic is just nuts

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I'm pro PJ, but 11th in a stat column does what for us exactly? Who gives a damn about the stats besides the people using them as a way to justify losses. If that stat correlated to us being the 11th best team in the nation then I'd thump my chest about it right along with you, but it doesn't. Stats, like slot machines, are for losers.

You're asking a different question than I'm answering.

He indicated that the offense is about as effective as other offenses in the ACC. I showed him that it was, in fact, not.

Offense is roughly 40% of football. That still leaves 60% as a separate conversation. We can talk about CPJ's failure to secure a serviceable defense, and that's a WHOLLY valid complaint, but it's a different question than the one I was answering.

But, to answer your question: considering you had a crappy defense and crappy special teams, that stat column gets you about 7 wins this year.

We are 15th in the country in points per play(2nd in ACC). 23rd in the country (4th in ACC)in offensive points per game.

Compare that(which isn’t even our best offensive year under CPJ) with Chan’s modern pro style offense under his best year (2006) with CALVIN JOHNSON. We were 52nd in points per play and 53th in points per game (averaging 12 points less than we are this year) and 74th in offensive points per game.

I think scoring regularly is more exciting than not, regardless of how the offense gets it done.

This issue is the defense which is 111th in the country in opponent’s points per play and 86th in the country in opponent’s offensive points per game. If CPJ should be fired, it’s for his defense, not because the offense is “boring”.

for the love of god, stop comparing ANYTHING to Chan Gailey. I'm glad he's gone and don't want him back. There are other people who can coach here, you know? There are also plenty of offenses being run right now that are scoring more than 17 pts vs UVA.

Our #s were inflated this year by games vs BG, Loserville, and VPI. The O got mostly stymied vs Pitt, Duke, Miami, and UVA, and obviously the 2 elite teams we played. Plummeting home attendance #s shows that people are losing interest in watching us, for whatever reason. I suspect losing and boredom are big factors.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
- for the new innovative spread offense...

If we're gonna be a "G5 team" like this guy wants, might as well be an exciting one rather than one that runs 30 QB Keepers.

CPJ isn't going anywhere though. 2019 home games will be as quiet as a library, at least when that idiot PA guy isn't playing stupid rap songs over our band.

I just can't help but laugh at this.

A. It's only quiet if you let it be quiet. But then again you seem like a guy that wants the program to take it on the chin just to prove your point, so I doubt you'll be there next year.

B. Old man yells at cloud (in this case the "PA guy")

People are so keen on excitement. You know what's exciting? Winning. We have a guy that's proven he can do that here.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
If you look at our recruiting vs our peers and the records of our peers, we should expect 4-6 wins per year. We were third in the ACC this year. Yet we were what bottom 3 in average recruiting rankings? To expect 8,9 or 10 wins is not looking at the problems we have at Tech outside of the coaching staff. Even a lot of the coaching issues are a lack of money.

Our football spend is 61 out of 65 compared to all P5 schools and most recruits are not academically eligible to go to school here So that should equal to 8,9 or 10 wins per year? Some of you guys are just not looking at the facts and live in a dream world and think a new coach will magically solve all these core issues and have us competing with the dwags and Clemson. The logic is just nuts
Seems obvious that a greatly increased recruiting effort is needed.
I think the fund raising needs a lot more for recruiting and less for buildings.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow

We should put this on our billboards when trying to sell tickets. We will sell out all of our home games...lol

BTW, I do agree and is the reason I no longer get excited or spend money on GT football.

I just can't help but laugh at this.

A. It's only quiet if you let it be quiet. But then again you seem like a guy that wants the program to take it on the chin just to prove your point, so I doubt you'll be there next year.

B. Old man yells at cloud (in this case the "PA guy")

People are so keen on excitement. You know what's exciting? Winning. We have a guy that's proven he can do that here.

A. Umm..I was there this year. Me and 30,000 others watched an exciting win vs UVA. Where were you? There were plenty of seats available!

B. LMAO - true but there's an entire thread dedicated to that guy so I'm hardly alone in my dislike of him.

"Winning" - if that's the case then were are all the fans? If CPJ is so great at winning, why are attendance #s dropping every year he's here?

We are 15th in the country in points per play(2nd in ACC). 23rd in the country (4th in ACC)in offensive points per game.

Compare that(which isn’t even our best offensive year under CPJ) with Chan’s modern pro style offense under his best year (2006) with CALVIN JOHNSON. We were 52nd in points per play and 53th in points per game (averaging 12 points less than we are this year) and 74th in offensive points per game.

I think scoring regularly is more exciting than not, regardless of how the offense gets it done.

This issue is the defense which is 111th in the country in opponent’s points per play and 86th in the country in opponent’s offensive points per game. If CPJ should be fired, it’s for his defense, not because the offense is “boring”.

PS: No argument about the defense. Are you saying we should fire CNW and get yet-another DC in here? It should be obvious by now what/who the problem is.

It is getting harder to qualify for a bowl game because Tech has fallen so far behind in the $$$ wars. But then, that doesn't fit the narrative of the CPJ haters.

It's getting easier to qualify for a bowl game since there are 80 bowl invites and sometimes even teams with losing records get an invite. But this doesn't fit the narrative of the Johnsonians.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
A. Umm..I was there this year. Me and 30,000 others watched an exciting win vs UVA. Where were you? There were plenty of seats available!

B. LMAO - true but there's an entire thread dedicated to that guy so I'm hardly alone in my dislike of him.

"Winning" - if that's the case then were are all the fans? If CPJ is so great at winning, why are attendance #s dropping every year he's here?

https://lastwordoncollegefootball.com/2018/10/17/the-growing-problem-of-college-football-attendance/

Same reasons they are everywhere else

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
PS: No argument about the defense. Are you saying we should fire CNW and get yet-another DC in here? It should be obvious by now what/who the problem is.

Again, to me, this is ENTIRELY fair. Coach Johnson has not demonstrated that he can oversee a program that can field even an average defense anytime recently.

I personally think the offensive excellence has largely overcome the awful defense, but the defense has, in fact, been awful.

As the head coach, that's on Johnson.

LibertyTurns

Banned
If I was Stansbury and I was trying to navigate out of this mess I’d do the following:

A. Put all my chips on Woody and pray he works out. If we shore up the D he’s got the flexibility to change the offensive scheme if he wants without going 2-12 a bunch of years in a row. A solid D will blunt any offensive scheme change and allow you to win some games along the way & won’t splinter the fanbase further fighting over who’s right & who’s wrong.
B. As crazy as it sounds, I’d reduce ticket prices except for Clemp & mutt. I’d make the mutt prices outrageous. If they want to infect our stadium, pay for the trash clean up. Frankly, we need the fans.
C. I get CPJ to commit to however many years he needs to in order to get us financially stable with the understanding privately that retirement is on the designated date. You need to hire a not currently coaching coach so the announcement can be made at beginning of the season that this is the last & in time for the new guy to have input into the recruiting process. Not Mack Brown old, but on his last stop kind of guy.
D. That coach needs to coach 3-4 years & get out if he’s changing schemes. It won’t be pretty changing schemes. Att that point you need to either put up the $$ to go big or roll the dice on a hot youngster.
E. At step C, roll out the $250M challenge. With a new coach on the horizon you can get the $$.

Basically that’s the 10 year plan.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
We should put this on our billboards when trying to sell tickets. We will sell out all of our home games...lol

BTW, I do agree and is the reason I no longer get excited or spend money on GT football.
Seriously not trying to be mean. We now have an AD who I think can be a difference maker and for once in a long while an AD that can use our money for good.
So at this point to not be giving makes you part of the problem. I am giving more now than I ever did. Also, things can't turn around over night, but I am liking the progress we are seeing so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.