Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparkybob

Georgia Tech Fan
Just an interesting side note but look how the media is portraying the GT/UGA game. They are really hyping up how difficult GT's offense will be for UGA to handle. Now maybe it's the SEC people just trying to get people to watch the network but you can tell they respect GT as a danger to Georgia.

Compare that to South Carolina who people are just assuming are getting their doors blown out by Clemson even though they will basically be a 7 win team like GT.

I get the CPJ offense is not sexy for a lot of recruits but it does bring attention to the program even if it's the typical you never want to face a "triple Option" team because they are so hard to defend.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Just an interesting side note but look how the media is portraying the GT/UGA game. They are really hyping up how difficult GT's offense will be for UGA to handle. Now maybe it's the SEC people just trying to get people to watch the network but you can tell they respect GT as a danger to Georgia.

Compare that to South Carolina who people are just assuming are getting their doors blown out by Clemson even though they will basically be a 7 win team like GT.

I get the CPJ offense is not sexy for a lot of recruits but it does bring attention to the program even if it's the typical you never want to face a "triple Option" team because they are so hard to defend.
It would be cool if both UGAG and Clemson lost on Saturday;):cool::D:cigar:

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Ok, so here is the gist of this entire thing. GT has rarely had issues on offense, except some of the CCG years. What we can not recruit is enough defense. Primarily D-lineman. Even in the Tenuta years we had to blitz a lot and got burned. And those years was before spread attacks. Hell in 1999 we probably had the best offense in the nation, but our D couldn't stop any one. What CPJ understands is this lack of defense at Tech. His offense had never been the issue. We are averaging almost 40 point per game. But what it does is limit his defense to may be having to face 9 possessions per game. For those of you that want a change. are you ready to face giving teams 15 possessions a game? that is probably 49 points we give up. We might as well join the Big 12. And chances are we can't recruit offense to keep up. Argue this if you can.
If you continue to insist on mixing logic into this thread, you should be banned. It is a football message board and no other explanation is needed.

slugboy

Staff member
Ok, so here is the gist of this entire thing. GT has rarely had issues on offense, except some of the CCG years. What we can not recruit is enough defense. Primarily D-lineman. Even in the Tenuta years we had to blitz a lot and got burned. And those years was before spread attacks. Hell in 1999 we probably had the best offense in the nation, but our D couldn't stop any one. What CPJ understands is this lack of defense at Tech. His offense had never been the issue. We are averaging almost 40 point per game. But what it does is limit his defense to may be having to face 9 possessions per game. For those of you that want a change. are you ready to face giving teams 15 possessions a game? that is probably 49 points we give up. We might as well join the Big 12. And chances are we can't recruit offense to keep up. Argue this if you can.

In 1990, we had a great D line, and we had good D line players under Tenuta. We blitzed because that’s Tenuta’s nature. He blitzed at Notre Dame with 4* and 5* defensive linemen.

Under CCG, we found good running backs and good receivers. He didn’t recruit Quarterbacks the way he needed to—that was a massive problem for him. He didn’t recruit linemen the way he needed to. He did well at tight end. It’s hard to tell if there were institutional recruiting issues on offense, or if CCG didn’t manage his offensive roster well, but I suspect the latter was true.

O’Leary didn’t complain about recruiting issues much (he did complain about academic requirements cutting into practice though). He just didn’t put together a good defense very often.

Outside of Georgia Southern, I’m not sure where CPJ has had a good defense. We had one here before he arrived. I don’t think he’s covering an institutional problem; I think he’s covering a problem his teams have had. Hopefully Woody fixes that. But, we need to get better at fundamentals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Animal02

Banned
In 1990, we had a great D line, and we had good D line players under Tenuta. We blitzed because that’s Tenuta’s nature. He blitzed at Notre Dame with 4* and 5* defensive linemen.

Under CCG, we found good running backs and good receivers. He didn’t recruit Quarterbacks the way he needed to—that was a massive problem for him. He didn’t recruit linemen the way he needed to. He did well at tight end. It’s hard to tell if there were institutional recruiting issues on offense, or if CCG didn’t manage his offensive roster well, but I suspect the latter was true.

O’Leary didn’t complain about recruiting issues much (he did complain about academic requirements cutting into practice though). He just didn’t put together a good defense very often.

Outside of Georgia Southern, I’m not sure where CPJ has had a good defense. We had one here before he arrived. I don’t think he’s covering an institutional problem; I think he’s covering a problem his teams have had. Hopefully Woody fixes that. But, we need to get better at fundamentals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
D line will be difficult to recruit at Tech regardless of the coach.

slugboy

Staff member
D line will be difficult to recruit at Tech regardless of the coach.
Yes, but we have done it before. And we've recruited great linebackers and other defenders. I don't expect us to steal many recruits from Alabama and Notre Dame, and maybe we don't get the 5* nose tackle, but we can get a 4*.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
ColoradoJacket makes an interesting point. In the last decade or so, the entire game of football has tilted very heavily in favor of offense, both because of more teams running spread and the way the games are called. Unless you're Bama, with 5 stars two deep, you aren't stopping these modern offenses consistently, so an offense that puts up points and limits the other team's possessions is one way to address this.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The ACC to me is Georgia Tech and i don't care all that much about the other members of the ACC...............................................................just sayin';)

No worries. We know you're a UT SEC guy.

It's just that in the current playoff climate, the reputation of the conference matters. The ACC's reputation has been as the worst of the Pwr5, which was briefly changed a few years ago but seems to be back.

The reason that 2-loss LSU is ranked ahead of 1-loss Washington St and 1-loss tOSU and that 3-loss UF is the highest-ranked 3-loss team and ranked ahead of 2-loss WVU is that they are SEC teams whose wins and losses within conference are considered "better."

So, unfortunately, within this context, conference reputation matters, so conference records matter.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Who do you think will be the preseason 2019 favorite in the ACC Coastal? Here's my 2019 preseason ACC predictions

ACC Atlantic

1) Clemson
2) Syracuse
3) Boston College
4) NCSU
5) Wake Forest
6) Florida State
7) Louisville

ACC Coastal

1) Virginia
2) Georgia Tech
3) Pitt
4) Miami
5) Duke
6) Virginia Tech
7) North Carolina
I've gotta disagree on the Coastal, Mike. You know the preseason favorites are always duh U or UNCheat! ;):D:ROFLMAO:

slugboy

Staff member
I agree they have done a good job........5 or even 4 star DL recruits that can cut it at TECH are going to be needles in a haystack.
I think if our starting position is "we can't recruit defensive linemen", we'll have no problem proving ourselves correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.