Path to the Coastal

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Plan A: WIN x 8 ACC games!

...but it's always good to have a backup plan.

This week's matchups & desired outcome:
UNC @ Ga Tech: See Plan A
Clemson @ VT: Go Tigers!!
Miami @ Duke: Toss up for now. Duke is 1-0 in ACC... Miami 0-0.
Pitt OOC v Rice
UVA BYE: Rest up to beat Duke next week.
We need to win our Coastal games. Don't want to have to pull for someone to lose, or backdoor our way in. Hope our game with Clemson is a rematch, but prefer NCSt.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Gents... if we go 11-1 with our schedule and ACC champions. The loss is a Game 1 OT loss that all will acknowledge we dominated (still hurts...too soon). There is ZERO chance we miss playoffs. Would love to see this happen.
With that scenario, we would beat the defending NC, the SEC East champ, and probably two or three top 15 teams. One can only wish.

Deleted member 2897

Makes sense but I think you can count on VT being at least pretty good and more than likely a very tough row for us to row. It just seems like every year, (I am exaggerating for effect but bear with me) Tech always has the hardest or second hardest schedule in the conference. I suppose a lot of it is having Clemson as our designated cross divisional rival but some of these teams get easier schedules than we do every year. The only thing in our favor is that we have not played Louisville and seldom play NC State.

Well, they are hardly comparable to Clemson. Last year Louisville and NC State won 16 games combined. Clemson won 14 by itself. In 2015 those 2 schools won 15 games combined. Clemson won 14 by itself. Think about Duke that has Wake as their rival and UNC that has NC State as their rival and Virginia Tech that has Boston College as their rival and Pittsburgh that has Syracuse as their rival. I mean, LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Well, they are hardly comparable to Clemson. Last year Louisville and NC State won 16 games combined. Clemson won 14 by itself. In 2015 those 2 schools won 15 games combined. Clemson won 14 by itself. Think about Duke that has Wake as their rival and UNC that has NC State as their rival and Virginia Tech that has Boston College as their rival and Pittsburgh that has Syracuse as their rival. I mean, LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Sickening is what it is. Virginia Tech has BC as their rival? What do they have on Swofford? Duke with Wake is understandable as is, as much as I hate to admit it, UNC with NC State. Miami has to play FSU every year so there is that. Besides those two deserve each other.

Deleted member 2897

Sickening is what it is. Virginia Tech has BC as their rival? What do they have on Swofford? Duke with Wake is understandable as is, as much as I hate to admit it, UNC with NC State. Miami has to play FSU every year so there is that. Besides those two deserve each other.

Yup, I mean they basically get a free win every year and just have to execute somewhat to get it. We basically get a free loss every year and have to undertake something miraculously to avoid it.

Well us being 10-1 and left out of the playoffs would, I guess, be a good issue to happen. Means we whipped up on the Da U and the puppies. Not to mention Clem and son.
Being 10-1, and headed for the ACCCG we would have a lot of people talking. If we won the ACCCG and still did not get in, there would still be a lot of publicity and probably make for tweeking the selection process. Would depend on who the other "fifth place teams" were that got bumped. If some big hitters like a one loss Bama, or a one loss Southern Cal, or a one loss Michigan were left out along with us, there would be some howling.

Well us being 10-1 and left out of the playoffs would, I guess, be a good issue to happen. Means we whipped up on the Da U and the puppies. Not to mention Clem and son.
And all the rest of our schedule. We really don't know right now what kind of team we really have. And we don't know who is better, Wake or Duke, Virginia Tech or Miami. Virginia might be really tough, especially in Charlottesville. It will sort out in the next four or five games. Hope we are still standing at Halloween.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You guys do all understand we have played three games, right? For the life of me, I do not understand how boards like this get so far ahead of themselves. How about this, we win Saturday and then regroup and try to figure a way to win the next one? What is the point of all the rest of this? For me, this Saturday is a season all to itself. I want to win so badly. If we are lucky enough to win, then the next game matters a little more, and so on....

If we are lucky enough after week 9 to be in the coastal discussion, then have at it. Until then, I am trying to figure in my mind how we maintain momentum against the T'holes. Sorry.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
You guys do all understand we have played three games, right? For the life of me, I do not understand how boards like this get so far ahead of themselves. How about this, we win Saturday and then regroup and try to figure a way to win the next one? What is the point of all the rest of this? For me, this Saturday is a season all to itself. I want to win so badly. If we are lucky enough to win, then the next game matters a little more, and so on....

If we are lucky enough after week 9 to be in the coastal discussion, then have at it. Until then, I am trying to figure in my mind how we maintain momentum against the T'holes. Sorry.

How about this: you be a fan ur way and let others be fans their ways?

Jmonty71

Banned
I know it will sound cliche. But, the most important game is the game you have coming up. GT does not need to overlook any team. While we have the talent to beat anyone, we tend to kill ourselves and can lose to anyone. IE: UVA a few years ago.

Jmonty71

Banned
Slight difference between Clemson and some mid-level FBS school. I rather see us play teams like Vandy, San Diego St, Cal, Iowa State, heck even GA State over some random FCS school.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

There you go Boomer trying to be a spoil sport. Let us have some fun. It's harmless. I mean players don't read the misguided musings of middle aged guys like us. Please tell me they don't. Do they?

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Seems like the same people complaining about Clemson are the same people always wanting a tougher schedule. :)

Not me. That's the people who want to play USCw, Notre Dame, Auburn, Tennessee, etc. for out of conference games. No sir, I am fine with Tulane, Mercer, Jax State, people like that plus UGA.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

We as fans don't have to figure out how to win this week though. I don't want our players sitting around playing what if, but I don't see the harm in their speculating. I love looking ahead to future match ups and thinking about the various implications preceding games have on the story that game will tell.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Ok... We will finish this coming weekend with an "untested" 2-0 record in ACC play.

Here is the Coastal action for Sat, Oct 7th:

Va Tech (0-1) at BC: GO Damn Yankee Eagles!!!
Duke (1-1) at UVA (0-0): Go Wahoos! I'm partial to UVA...but I think we want Duke to be dead when we meet Duke in our (not Duke's) final ACC game.
Pitt (0-1) at Syracuse: Go Cuse! This game is a non-factor as Pitt is a non-factor.
Miami (1-0) at FSU: Go Noles! ...on the other hand, if would be nice to beat an undefeated Miami next week... but for purposes of hedging to win the Coastal... need Miami losses.
ND at UNC (0-3): this is a non-conference game for ACC purposes... so, GO HEELS!!