Path to the Coastal

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I say to just let the chips fall and not worry to much. Way to many things will change and more would need to for us to have a chance. Lets just get ready for saturday.

I agree. I really enjoyed our come back last night. A respectable showing against Clemson is what I expect; not a win. Some of our greatest and most satisfying wins have come from being a deep underdog. Doesn't happen much but it can make a season. Unfortunately or fortunately, someone has to win and someone has to lose.

I'm hoping we go bowling (and expect it) and hope I can go to someplace interesting. The ACCCG for us is maybe a 2% chance right now IMHO.

For me the best scenario is us to be UGAg who is undefeated. Forget the rest now since we can't do anything about UM and I expect for them to win out in the ACC. I'll even be pulling for VT to beat UM (not that it matters). UM will get destroyed by Clemson in the ACCCG since I don't see Clemson clemsoning again.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
On paper, GT is very much in the mix for the coastal race, only 1 loss out of 1st... but the path forward to actually winning the coastal is pretty crazy.

First, Miami has to have 2 losses in conference, since they have the H2H tie breaker on us. In other words, if we won out in ACC play and Miami only lost to, say, VT... we'd both be 7-1 and they would go to the ACCCG. So... that means to even entertain the conversation of playing for the ACCC, Miami must also lose a 2nd conference game. I doubt UNC can beat anyone... so that leaves it up to either Pitt or UVA to pull an upset.

If that upset occurred, and Miami lost to VT, Miami would be 6-2. One path at that point would be to win out (requiring wins over both VT at home and Clemson on the road.) Possible, but unlikely. The next scenario would require us to beat VT, so a Clemson loss could be allowed and maybe we can move forward.

If we beat VT and they win their remaining conference games, we would have a 3-way division tie at 6-2.

If you go to the tiebreaker rules, I'm not sure how it gets prioritized. We all would be 6-2, with Miami's losses both being division losses. I think that would eliminate them. That would leave us beating VT in a head to head.... but I'm really not sure if that's the way the tiebreakers get layered. We may actually get penalized for having a lower overall win% since we missed out on the UCF game.

If we could find a way to beat Clemson, that would go a LONG way to making the coastal seem feasible.
You got it. ... & it's quite alright to post this scenario stuff. We can "get ready/focus on Clemson" & "take care of our own business" while at the same time thinking through the possibilities. ;)

Not many of us are actually coaching or playing in the "next one".

1) Miami has to lose 2
then
2) Ga Tech wins Coastal at 7-1 or 6-2 (IF that 2nd loss is to Clemson)

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I disagree. Win our or not, we need Miami to lose two. Actually pretty sure the Clemson game means nothing for our coastal chances assuming we win our other 3 conference games.
How do you figure that? If the U loses two, we still have to run the table since they have the tie breaker.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
You got it. ... & it's quite alright to post this scenario stuff. We can "get ready/focus on Clemson" & "take care of our own business" while at the same time thinking through the possibilities. ;)

Not many of us are actually coaching or playing in the "next one".

1) Miami has to lose 2
then
2) Ga Tech wins Coastal at 7-1 or 6-2 (IF that 2nd loss is to Clemson)
.... edit (IF that 2nd loss is to Clemson AND VT is also 6-2)

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
If we were to get to 7-1 and DON’T win the division then anyone complaining is just crazy. That would be a great season IMO.

I’d love to see a win up there this weekend. 2008 was the last time in Death Valley... Dabo’s first against us at home. I don’t think it’s as far fetched as I did a few weeks ago. Everyone reporting on college football has a tendency to overrate teams...especially big name teams. Perhaps this is what happened to Clemson this year...too much credit for last year without the best player from that team. As I’ve said before, these guys lost to Pitt last year...and now Syracuse this year. Maybe it’s time we knock them back down a peg!