Pastner Staff Thread

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I've seen people ***** to much about how CPJ spends to much time golfing and needs to worry more about recruiting. I swear this fan base has to have something to ***** about. I get it. I run my own business. Work 6-7 days a week and don't have time to golf. If I spent 5 hrs a week on the course that's 5 less hours I can get more important things accomplished. He's trying to build something here. I get where he's coming from.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
45tpYWM.gif

This is not a big deal people need to step back from the ledge

Gtmatthews

Georgia Tech Fan
The interview must have been a "fishing trip" for the reporter. He must have thrown out several baiting questions centered around "quirks" of JP and seen which one Josh took hook, line, and sinker. Obviously it was the one about golf. Then the reporter continued to "play" him and basically made a "story" out of nothing. I think that the AD should pull Josh in and tell him to refuse/ignore such questions in the future and answer questions that center specifically around basketball staff, team, players, recruiting, and short term goals for the future. There is so MUCH more the interview could've centered around that is relevant to where we are currently with the program. Ken wrote a entire article centered around a conversation....must have been a boring interview if that was the most interesting thing he got from the conversation. In my opinion the article belonged on social media and not in print. Ken's editor (probably a UGA grad....so probably thought it was INCREDIBLE WORK) should've killed the story prior to print and told him to come back when he had accomplished something (the main point in the article is just strange).
In my opinion, as GT fans we should extract the work ethic excerpts from the article and appreciate them and then let the story die. If I were Josh I would make sure the next few requests/phone calls from Ken for future interviews were delayed or hopefully Josh will go into the next one aware of double edged questions and used against him. As fans I think the best thing we can do is to ignore the drivel and let the story die because it is really nothing to get worked up over. Josh could seek advice from Paul Johnson for advice on how to handle the media!
Agreed - I have lost a lot of respect for Ken the past month. From his 3-4 articles on why Vandy is a better job to this piece - this guy is doing us no favors and I hope he gets replaced soon.

gtfan088

Georgia Tech Fan
Are we really blaming the messenger for something the coach said?

No, but I think it's reasonable to question Ken deciding to frame the whole piece around that one Q/A. Obviously it's generated buzz, so you have to give him that, but if the rumors are true that Ken and people inside Tech athletics aren't on the best terms, I can't imagine pieces like that are going to help things any in that regard. IMO Tech should avoid him as much as possible and give more attention elsewhere to emphasize that it's a conscious decision.

Gtmatthews

Georgia Tech Fan
Are we really blaming the messenger for something the coach said?
Not at all - I just don't like the direction Ken has been taking...we get enough bad press from the local sports talk radio clowns - the last thing we need is our best writer taking shots at us...Ken needs to change his direction or access needs to be cut off.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Not at all - I just don't like the direction Ken has been taking...we get enough bad press from the local sports talk radio clowns - the last thing we need is our best writer taking shots at us...Ken needs to change his direction or access needs to be cut off.

I've always found KS to be fair and equitable. He always looks at both sides of the coin. Regarding Vandy, he wrote why it could be a better than GT because you have to consider what the competition has to offer versus us. That's what reporters do. BTW...he didn't write anything about Vandy vs GT that other national reporters weren't writing.

With Pastner's quote, it's hard to frame that when Pastner pretty much went on a rant about it. CJP doubled down about the golfing issue and kept going. Was KS suppose to just ignore it?

Fans will see what they want to see. KS is a GT beat reporter, he's not GT's mouth piece. I think fans get that confused. It's not his job to make GT look good. That's what the reporters on ramblinwreck.com are for.

Gtmatthews

Georgia Tech Fan
I've always found KS to be fair and equitable. He always looks at both sides of the coin. Regarding Vandy, he wrote why it could be a better than GT because you have to consider what the competition has to offer versus us. That's what reporters do. BTW...he didn't write anything about Vandy vs GT that other national reporters weren't writing.

With Pastner's quote, it's hard to frame that when Pastner pretty much went on a rant about it. CJP doubled down about the golfing issue and kept going. Was KS suppose to just ignore it?

Fans will see what they want to see. KS is a GT beat reporter, he's not GT's mouth piece. I think fans get that confused. It's not his job to make GT look good. That's what the reporters on ramblinwreck.com are for.
Good points...one article about Vandy and I would agree with you. He had at least three...I would love to see the entire interview to see everything Pastner said...in my opinion Ken framed the golf thing to sensationalize it and get hits on the ajc website. I am always suspicious of the media though...

jacket fan in dairyland

Jolly Good Fellow
Since I have moved from Georgia some 25 years ago, I have had the chance to compare how radio and print media report on their local teams in another area of the country. It has always frustrated me on how the AJC and local media report on the two major teams in Georgia. For lack of any other descriptions , I will call it balance and tone. I have actually contacted the editor at AJC about this topic, and he relates it all to circulation numbers. He and his writers give " the masses " what they want: puff pieces about UGA. The tone is almost consistently positive and optimistic with a strong tendency to downplay or minimize any problem. Of course, on things they can't ignore like player arrests, they are reported , quickly addressed and forgotten. To me, as an admittedly biased Tech fan, the tone of reporting about UGA is to minimize problems and emphasize confidence and ( over ) optimism. The balance of " good " news to " bad " news is roughly 80/20.
Compare this to the tone and balance of Tech articles. Sure , there are positive articles about Tech, but they are almost always treated like exceptions with their tone. As far as the balance between " good " and " bad " , I feel it runs about 60/40.
So, in summary : the AJC writes about UGA as a "homer" publication. Much like how the Milwaukee Journal writes about the Badgers. Not surprising , and expected in a way. Somewhat balanced , but slanted toward " homer". Reporting on Tech , by comparison, appears to slant more negative , because there is little, if any, homering going on. I am sure that's the way UGA subscribers want it, because it feeds into their self-perceived superiority. That means they buy more papers and the cycle continues to feed itself. Frustrating to say the least.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Also, editors are the ones who generally write the headlines, and can also chop parts of articles out, changing the whole tone of an article. I think Ken tries hard, but GT gives him little to work with, and his editors are likely UGA homers. I appreciate him for being just about the only local media member who even tries to give GT fair coverage.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

Right, he's a beat writer, not a columnist. It's not his job to create stories, but to report on what's going on with Tech sports. This is the kind of opinion piece is expect from Schultz or one of the other columnists.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I think that the AD should pull Josh in and tell him to refuse/ignore such questions in the future and answer questions that center specifically around basketball staff, team, players, recruiting, and short term goals for the future.
You want the AD that doesn't communicate effectively to counsel the new coach on how to communicate? Think it's high time GT hires someone capable of handling the media well so that person can start working on the President, AD and work his way on down ranks.

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
^^^^^^^^

Hopefully all of your one-on-one sessions with Bud and Mike (where you had the opportunity to apply your communications expertise as you evaluated their shortcomings) will begin to payoff over time. I only hope they recognize what an extrodinary resource you are, and accept your guidance and direction.

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
You want the AD that doesn't communicate effectively to counsel the new coach on how to communicate? Think it's high time GT hires someone capable of handling the media well so that person can start working on the President, AD and work his way on down ranks.
I thought that's what the SID is for. We can resrrict media access only to them, I guess, if we want. It'd be a two-edged sword.

I feel very badly for Ken S. I think he's a good, ethical, hardworking beat reporter who wants to be fair, do a quality job, and stay on good terms with his sources. His employer doesn't have the patience or ethics to allow him to do a good job or to walk the fine line of balance a good beat reporter needs to maintain with everyone.

I'm sure GT is not alone in facing this problem; we are, though, a bit more traditional in our approaches to a lot of things. I just wish Ken could get a good-paying gig working for someone less desperate to retain its two paying subscribers than the AJC. CPJ has already pretty much had it with him, and CJP may not be far behind. I just don't think that's Ken's fault and I hate to see him suffer for it, whether it be us being contemptuous of him or him being locked out of any meaningful information from GT sports.