Pastner Staff Thread

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
I get what he's saying. It just makes him sound very young and very intense. That's not necessarily bad, or good.

There's waste your time golfing, and there's very intense golfing. The people who take it seriously use it to enter another world ... to decompress from the intensity they bring to their regular gig.

Driven, intense, demanding (of themselves and others) high achievers need to decompress. I hope Josh realizes that. It goes for him too, for that matter.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, but he could also be alienating guys who could really help us. We don't know. The fact that no one has been hired is approaching the point of being a little weird.

@lv20gt many have said that the exodus stemmed from his personality. This golf thing could (emphasis on 'could') be that same thing rearing it's ugly head. No, I wasn't comparing golfing to family time, but let me back up to my original point. This isn't the best look for us. Raises too many questions especially considering the rumors and such coming out of MEM regarding his demeanor.

Stallings at Pitt just finished his staff two days ago and that was with bringing a guy from Vandy, something that Pastner shouldn't be looking to do here. His first hire, that wasn't keeping someone from the previous staff, happened 10 days after Stallings was hired. This is the same thing that happened with the HC search. People are anxious to get the new staff but just because it hasn't been made over night doesn't make it unusual. Especially since the main incentive to getting the staff together is recruiting, which happens to be what Pastner was known for, so the need to get it together isn't as strong as if we would have hired Tubby Smith for instance.

As far as alienating guys who could help us, just because they could help us doesn't mean they should be here. IMO Pastner has the right mentality for what we need. If that mentality is going to cause problems with some people it's better that those people don't become assistants here in the first place. Whether it is assistants or players, fitting in well is every bit as important as what "raw aspects" they bring. He isn't the first coach that has been true of. There were a lot of great players that wouldn't fit in well at Indiana under Knight because of his personality. The solution isn't always to change personality. It's learning to identify people who will conflict with it, and not bring them in, and in contrast identifying which players/coaches do fit well and bring them in. And I suspect that GT attracts recruits/coaches who are more likely to identify with Pastner than memphis when you look at what Pastner achieved as a student athlete at Arizona and compare the two schools.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, but he could also be alienating guys who could really help us. We don't know. The fact that no one has been hired is approaching the point of being a little weird.

@lv20gt many have said that the exodus stemmed from his personality. This golf thing could (emphasis on 'could') be that same thing rearing it's ugly head. No, I wasn't comparing golfing to family time, but let me back up to my original point. This isn't the best look for us. Raises too many questions especially considering the rumors and such coming out of MEM regarding his demeanor.
Do you know how many people Bryce Drew has hired for his new staff at Vandy?...Zero.

Everybody needs to calm down on the staff hires.

DaBiz

Georgia Tech Fan
Do you know how many people Bryce Drew has hired for his new staff at Vandy?...Zero.

Everybody needs to calm down on the staff hires.

He has two guys- Roger Powell, who he was bringing with him from Valpo and Jake Diebler from Ohio State.

JP will get a solid staff in place soon...not really worried about it.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
He has two guys- Roger Powell, who he was bringing with him from Valpo and Jake Diebler from Ohio State.

JP will get a solid staff in place soon...not really worried about it.

Anyone else hear that Bryce Drew will actually interview and/or hire people who play golf?? I think we dodged a bullet here people. Me and most of my friends and family golf and I think we would all be very, very unlikely to coach a top tier P5 BB program. I hadn't realized that before so I think Coach J Po knows a bit more about this stuff than we do. J Po - may I also suggest to stay away from turkey hunters, fishermen and people who enjoy poker? I too know these types very well and do not think you would be pleased with this type of character on your BB staff. If you in any way found this post to be helpful. shoot me a PM...I have some other thoughts on this topic that I don't want to share here. I am afraid other coaches may lurk here and poach my ideas and I want to keep my cards close to the vest so to speak.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
He wants workaholics, I understand it.
Saban would probably say the same thing. Dude wants recruiters..
Got to do what it takes to get it done.

I wish our football coach was more of a relentless recruiter.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Wow....I think people are reading WAY too much into this golf thing.

I'm fairly certain this statement on "golfers" will have zero impact on candidates for CJP's staff.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Guess you can tell from my handle that I play golf. Dean Smith was an avid golfer and actually was a founding member of a golf club in Chapel Hill. Roy Williams is also a very avid golfer. Both of them have pretty good history of coaching basketball. Didn't seem to hurt them that much with their coaching.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Guess you can tell from my handle that I play golf. Dean Smith was an avid golfer and actually was a founding member of a golf club in Chapel Hill. Roy Williams is also a very avid golfer. Both of them have pretty good history of coaching basketball. Didn't seem to hurt them that much with their coaching.

It's almost like Pastner was talking about the situation specific to georgia tech and what would be required to rebuild this program instead of UNC's.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
There were a lot of great players that wouldn't fit in well at Indiana under Knight because of his personality.
Heard this was also true with coach K at Duke. I'm going to have to double down on the idea that "all kinds of bad rumors" swirl around strong personalities in basketball until they start winning. All seems forgiven with coach K at this point. And it is still true that only certain types of players and assistants will ever fit into his system.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
The interview must have been a "fishing trip" for the reporter. He must have thrown out several baiting questions centered around "quirks" of JP and seen which one Josh took hook, line, and sinker. Obviously it was the one about golf. Then the reporter continued to "play" him and basically made a "story" out of nothing. I think that the AD should pull Josh in and tell him to refuse/ignore such questions in the future and answer questions that center specifically around basketball staff, team, players, recruiting, and short term goals for the future. There is so MUCH more the interview could've centered around that is relevant to where we are currently with the program. Ken wrote a entire article centered around a conversation....must have been a boring interview if that was the most interesting thing he got from the conversation. In my opinion the article belonged on social media and not in print. Ken's editor (probably a UGA grad....so probably thought it was INCREDIBLE WORK) should've killed the story prior to print and told him to come back when he had accomplished something (the main point in the article is just strange).
In my opinion, as GT fans we should extract the work ethic excerpts from the article and appreciate them and then let the story die. If I were Josh I would make sure the next few requests/phone calls from Ken for future interviews were delayed or hopefully Josh will go into the next one aware of double edged questions and used against him. As fans I think the best thing we can do is to ignore the drivel and let the story die because it is really nothing to get worked up over. Josh could seek advice from Paul Johnson for advice on how to handle the media!

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
i can't believe some are actually on this board tying playing golf to coaching success.

Pastner didn't saying playing golf leads to bad coaching. Yet some on here are replying like that is what he said.

what he said is he wants a staff all in like him, and would prefer and wont' hire guys who "need" to golf. I golf. But if I was interviewing for a job and the hiring coach said hey we don't golf until a few times in spots in the offseason...I would be like ok I am fine with it. Some out there need to golf like at least 2-3 times a week otherwise they have withdrawls. I don't want them on my staff either.

you know what. If saban, or smart said this, their fanbases would be like hell yeah...thats right coach. We are paying you millions to succeed not golf.

At tech, in 6 months i gaurantee a coach will do something and someone will type, we are paying him millions a year to coach and get results. Good for Pastner. He is dedicated and he saying he wants to surround himself with guys like him.

you know what. So would i.