Pastner Staff Thread

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Well you know the obvious question. And you think the AJC would have asked given that they were all over the "do you play golf" story :cool:

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Let Pastner do his job. Don't squeeze him, Sharman.
You're potentially dating yourself for that comment, as I'm potentially dating myself for getting it.

mr-whipple-charmin.jpg

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Oh man... this one was funny.

Funny but misleading. Cremins knew less than nothing about golf when he was just starting out coaching basketball, and I don't think he seriously got into playing until after his time here. A quote from him that I found was "Once I retired from Georgia Tech and moved to Hilton Head, golf became a major part of my life." And once he took up the job at CoC he described his golf game as non-existent.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I have lived in Chapel Hill for over 40 years. I played golf a lot at UNC's golf course when I first moved here. Whenever Michael Jordan came back after BB season was over he would be at the UNC golf course every afternoon playing golf until it was so dark he couldn't play any longer. He also showed up for the Duke Children's Classic golf fund raiser when he was a Chicago Bull and played in that event if his team was out of the playoffs (Detroit won that year). I followed him around for several holes at one of the events. I don't think golf ever really affected his ability, love for, or dedication to basketball. He could have been practicing his shot or conditioning in the off season instead of playing golf. Pastner has stuck his foot in his mouth over this golf hiring thing and in my mind it also reflects on MBob's ability to select coaches. If he choses to be totally committed that is fine, but other people in this world can manage to find other ways to unwind. I would probably find him rather boring if all he knows and talks about is basketball. And BTW, no way could he take 33 hours at GT and pass, so I am not impressed by his intellect either.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Eh...I think we're making a bigger deal out of it than the media is. Not much national traction that I've seen outside of the initial release.

I'm pretty sure most coaches have an unwritten/unspoken rule that you don't take up much of your time doing extra curriculars (golf, mountain climbing, sailing, etc.) that involves a lot of hours taken away from recruiting and coaching. It's just that they don't make it a point to talk about it in the media.

Pastner is going to get a little more savvy about it now since Atlanta is one of the bigger media markets and he's in the ACC.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
In my continued re-railing attempts, here's a quick little interview with coach ...

Not much we haven't heard but here's a little recap:

- Besides NBA, ACC is best basketball you can find.
- GT going to be a rebuild, gonna take a step back to take 2 steps forward.
- Was a quick courtship, happened within hours basically; Said "they wanted to move quick, so it moved quick".
- THU morning was recruiting for MEM, by FRI morning was on a plane as GT coach.
- Said MEM is the most intense job in cbb due to microscope you're under in that 50-mile radius; following Cal was hard blah, blah, blah... every mistake was in the 24/7 news cycle.
- Cal said GT is a great job, will take some time to rebuild; talked about Crem and Hew having done great jobs here. Mentioned Gregory did a good job improving culture.
- Needs to put 2/3 classes together to build the right way; no quick fixes, focused on sustaining the program.
- Asked why has GT struggled to make the NCAA's? Need to recruit at a high level, put classes together. Gotta get the 'right ones' at a high level; all recruits aren't built for GT
- Lauded the guards we've had; said GT is a combo of guard-U and point guard-U; wants to get our former pros back involved.
- In no rush to make staff hires, working in a "partnership" with AD
- Said usually you have a chance to learn/grow/work through things in your first job; has learned from MEM mistakes
- Said he'd rather not share specifics on what he would've done differently at MEM; was proud of the program.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
In my continued re-railing attempts, here's a quick little interview with coach ...

Not much we haven't heard but here's a little recap:

- Besides NBA, ACC is best basketball you can find.
- GT going to be a rebuild, gonna take a step back to take 2 steps forward.
- Was a quick courtship, happened within hours basically; Said "they wanted to move quick, so it moved quick".
- THU morning was recruiting for MEM, by FRI morning was on a plane as GT coach.
- Said MEM is the most intense job in cbb due to microscope you're under in that 50-mile radius; following Cal was hard blah, blah, blah... every mistake was in the 24/7 news cycle.
- Cal said GT is a great job, will take some time to rebuild; talked about Crem and Hew having done great jobs here. Mentioned Gregory did a good job improving culture.
- Needs to put 2/3 classes together to build the right way; no quick fixes, focused on sustaining the program.
- Asked why has GT struggled to make the NCAA's? Need to recruit at a high level, put classes together. Gotta get the 'right ones' at a high level; all recruits aren't built for GT
- Lauded the guards we've had; said GT is a combo of guard-U and point guard-U; wants to get our former pros back involved.
- In no rush to make staff hires, working in a "partnership" with AD
- Said usually you have a chance to learn/grow/work through things in your first job; has learned from MEM mistakes
- Said he'd rather not share specifics on what he would've done differently at MEM; was proud of the program.

yeah, but did he talk about golf? [jk]

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer

Let's all take a moment of silence and hope this is true.