Pastner Staff Thread

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FTRS is reported an unconfirmed story on Mike Biddy.. I like that idea a lot, particularly in working with the point guards.

He used Stoudemirer at Memphis and learned from Coach Cal on having an NBA point guard on your staff helps with the point guards.
Part of me agrees, part of me disagrees.

It would be amazing to have such a high level NBA talent to work with our PGs. However, this would be another example of Pastner hiring his buddies (a omplaint of the Memphis fan base) and Bibby has no experience recruiting at the college level. For the latter reasons, I'd pass on Bibby because you've got no indication he's ready & willing to grind it out on the trail and if you hire him for one of the non-recruiting roles, you lose that spot that could be better used on a guy with local contacts.

Let Bibby go be Zona's Dir/Ops first. He made plenty of money in the NBA. He may be happy just coaching at the HS level, as he said in the original clickbait article FTRS got the info from.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I agree. We aren't there.

And while there are no sure things in putting a staff together. There are surer things than Bibby. Who I am a big fan of BTW

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer

It would be amazing to have such a high level NBA talent to work with our PGs. However, this would be another example of Pastner hiring his buddies (a omplaint of the Memphis fan base) and Bibby has no experience recruiting at the college level. For the latter reasons, I'd pass on Bibby because you've got no indication he's ready & willing to grind it out on the trail and if you hire him for one of the non-recruiting roles, you lose that spot that could be better used on a guy with local contacts.

Let Bibby go be Zona's Dir/Ops first. He made plenty of money in the NBA. He may be happy just coaching at the HS level, as he said in the original clickbait article FTRS got the info from.
Hell, if he wants to hire former star college and NBA pgs as assistant coaches then bring in Kenny. He's been begging for the job.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

I pretty much agree with this after putting some thought into it. I'd rather Coach be able to land high-caliber players without having to hire their relatives. I'd love to land Bibby as he's apparently a good prospect in his own right. Dude plays just like his dad. It's uncanny. And he's a knock-down shooter.

@RyanS12 , I love KA but (as has been stated and restated) he's got to get his life together. It doesn't matter how bad he wants on the staff.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The former GT star to hire will be Jarrett Jack when he decides to retire. He's a GT grad, a notorious film junkie and knows EVERYBODY. Also, a sneakerhead.

RE: Bibby Jr, if his dad wants him to start off on his own path, there's no reason he can't still send him to GT without expecting a job.

I didn't post the original clickbait article from Arizona because it was some dude basically saying Pastner's Past Behavior + Pastner's homeboy + Pastner's Homeboy's hoops playing son = story.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I pretty much agree with this after putting some thought into it. I'd rather Coach be able to land high-caliber players without having to hire their relatives. I'd love to land Bibby as he's apparently a good prospect in his own right. Dude plays just like his dad. It's uncanny. And he's a knock-down shooter.

@RyanS12 , I love KA but (as has been stated and restated) he's got to get his life together. It doesn't matter how bad he wants on the staff.
Rather than travel to faraway high school games, it seems Bibby wanted to watch his son play. I'm OK with that priority.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Rather than travel to faraway high school games, it seems Bibby wanted to watch his son play. I'm OK with that priority.

I'm not sure how your post is a response to what I wrote. :LOL: I agree with you, though. At the end of the day, this was all a made-up theory by the guy who wrote that article. The author also represents that Bibby has a desire to get into coaching at the next level but I'm not inclined to believe that either. As you said, it could be that he just wanted to coach his son.

I don't get that desire, btw. When I coached my son I didn't like it because you end up spending more time coaching other people's kids (and their parents) but I digress. (n)

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow
The former GT star to hire will be Jarrett Jack when he decides to retire. He's a GT grad, a notorious film junkie and knows EVERYBODY. Also, a sneakerhead.

RE: Bibby Jr, if his dad wants him to start off on his own path, there's no reason he can't still send him to GT without expecting a job.

I didn't post the original clickbait article from Arizona because it was some dude basically saying Pastner's Past Behavior + Pastner's homeboy + Pastner's Homeboy's hoops playing son = story.
I would like Jack too but just curious what him being a sneakerhead has anything to do with coaching? Lol

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
What has Kenny done now to show he needs to get his life together? I've seen nothing in his tweets...Maybe I'm missing something ?

I don't think anything has happened lately but the coaching gig he landed a few years ago ended in embarrassing fashion before he coached a game. I hope he's fine now but I don't think he's paid his (coaching) dues regardless though.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would like Jack too but just curious what him being a sneakerhead has anything to do with coaching? Lol

In mentioning Jack, I should've mentioned he's still 5-10 years away from potentially becoming a coach, if that's even what he wants to do.

Being a sneakerhead is part of his relatability to today's kids.