Passing game

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
No taller QB who is a passer will want to play in this offense.
Taller than what?

7 IS 5- 6" taller than 16, can run, and was an excellent passer in high school. Also he is running the second team in pregame.

Since almost all teams are crowding the line , we have at most 40% TO with 40% called runs and 20% passes. .
Sure seems like we could figure a way to get a series for the backup qb since it was the strongest position. At this time every position has a good rotation going except q b .
IMO
In game situations (tall line man in front) 16 has not been able to see the receivers long enough to make accurate throw.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
No taller QB who is a passer will want to play in this offense.
I'm not sure you are right to the absolute, but won't argue much and will go you one better: no taller QB can run this offense. That's radical but it requires so much in the mesh and down the line where agility is essential. Guys up in the 6-2+ range have a long way to bend over. But no, generally if you are a QB, short or tall, who loves to toss it about I can name four schools, maybe five, to stay away from. But if you like to run the ball, then there are dozens to avoid.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure you are right to the absolute, but won't argue much and will go you one better: no taller QB can run this offense. That's radical but it requires so much in the mesh and down the line where agility is essential. Guys up in the 6-2+ range have a long way to bend over. But no, generally if you are a QB, short or tall, who loves to toss it about I can name four schools, maybe five, to stay away from. But if you like to run the ball, then there are dozens to avoid.
Tevin ran the O to perfection at 6'0". That's not "tall", but it's not "short", either. It's tall enough to stand in the pocket and see downfield over the LOS.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Tevin ran the O to perfection at 6'0". That's not "tall", but it's not "short", either. It's tall enough to stand in the pocket and see downfield over the LOS.
Washington was first rate with that part of the game, and that is the important part. But Saturday I had a blast from the past when Johnson went for it on 4th and 1 with a QB and Marshall did the Washington porpoise into the line. I don't disagree with going for it as the only logical option, I just wish he would not run the sneak anymore. I'd almost rather throw it if those were the choices.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Washington was first rate with that part of the game, and that is the important part. But Saturday I had a blast from the past when Johnson went for it on 4th and 1 with a QB and Marshall did the Washington porpoise into the line. I don't disagree with going for it as the only logical option, I just wish he would not run the sneak anymore. I'd almost rather throw it if those were the choices.
TM scored a TD on a sneak at the goal line.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't have the facts but remember that the backup generally came in for trash time, and then was to run the ball to eat clock. I can't remember at time when the game wasn't decided that the backup didn't come in other than for injury.

As to the QBs not being thrilled. Sometimes there isn't much a of a "game" to throw off. Some days some QBs match-up better than others. Other days it doesn't matter when the DL lives in our backfield. It's a team game.

I do have the facts. And so does GTBob's Youtube Channel (shameless plug). :)

Go watch the North Carolina game in 2011 where we won 854-840. Vad came in on the third series. Go watch some of 2013 where Justin comes in for Vad for meaningful snaps.

In particular, if you watch towards the end of 2012 you'll see Vad come in earlier and earlier in games and get significant playing time which is why Tevin told the AJC that he didn't like the rotation and that it, "threw his game off" (that is a DIRECT quote from Tevin).

In general, if Johnson thinks a QB can help, he'll play that guy.

If Johnson isn't playing Lucas or Jordan Matthews or whoever else then there's a very specific reason for it, most likely he thinks Taquon gives us a better shot.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
OK, I stand corrected (I didn't know LC's height). Do you think CPJ is gonna change the offense much to let this kid display his obvious passing talents though? I'm talking "attempt more than 8 passes/game"?
if we consistently complete and gain yards from it and the defenses are allowing us to? Yes absolutely.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The passing game is only one phase of our offense that is not very good this year. The more glaring hole is the inability to run a basic triple option. Many have said defenses are taking away the pitch, and while there may be some of that, I also see a severe hesitation by TQM to pitch the ball when it's clearly the correct read. This makes speed and counter options tough to run, as well. I feel like this has led to us running a whole lot less of these plays than we should be.

Our short passing game is the pitch man and our long passing game is PA downfield. Quite frankly we aren't executing either one of these very well, but TQM is disguising it a lot of the time with freak athletic ability that springs big plays.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
OK, I stand corrected (I didn't know LC's height). Do you think CPJ is gonna change the offense much to let this kid display his obvious passing talents though? I'm talking "attempt more than 8 passes/game"?
He can give you the long and the short answer. Both the same.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In 2011 did defenses loaded the box and ran down the pitch like they do now. ? t q would do better at passing and running than Tech In, but not at running the TO.

Jet was so good at running the seam that defenses had to cover the qb which opened the outside. Maybe we can block better and squeeze off a few more runs, but when we pass we absolutely must be effective. To be elite team we need a qb that can see and read the "c b has deep wr covered so buy time till crossing an come open (22)" and make the throw . .

Will be very easy to see hug we get a ab that can read the field. Height matters