Passing game

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
This should have been a blow out.

TM is struggling with the deep ball. Yes, he connected twice, but he missed 4 open receivers for touchdowns:

Jeune: first play of the game (over thrown)
Jeune: on the pi call (Under thrown)
Stewart: very next play (under thrown)
Camp: right before half (under thrown)

Then the pick 6.

At least he was money for two of them.

I think we've safely established, via the admission of Ricky Jeune himself, that the first play of the game was not overthrown, but rather RJ2 slowed down on his route.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not to bring up facts, but our passing game is lame. I didn't just say TM, but the entire passing game.

TM has to feel like a mouse in a feral cat colony with the blocking he has gotten. But when he has had time, he hasn't been accurate. Thus the 134 QB rating for the year. http://www.cfbstats.com/2017/player/255/1070692/passing/gamelog.html

By the stats, the VT game was his second best passing game. But I don't think so since it doesn't take into account the int was a pick 6. So we throw 10 times with tow competions and net one score. And both our TDs were on busted coverages. We got lucky IMHO. I'll take it every day, but those completions should only have been long completions most times.

We need to try out another QB (I don't care who), to see if they can pass accurately and play the TO (e.g. pitch) better. I know most will disagree, but remember how JT was irreplaceable? Or TW? The QB position needs more rotation (again IMHO) to find out who is a gamer AND to get that person ready to play when they are needed full time. **** happens and our QB is likely to go down in crunch time.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Couple things. The only correct way to say that Marshall is struggling with something is to compare what someone else would do in his situation. Long throws are by definition less likely. Moreover, it’s important to consider the time and protection he has and the separation his receivers get. There are a ton of variables. I don’t know if he’s struggling or not, but asserting that he is isn’t terribly convincing.

Not to bring up facts, but our passing game is lame. I didn't just say TM, but the entire passing game.

TM has to feel like a mouse in a feral cat colony with the blocking he has gotten. But when he has had time, he hasn't been accurate. Thus the 134 QB rating for the year. http://www.cfbstats.com/2017/player/255/1070692/passing/gamelog.html

By the stats, the VT game was his second best passing game. But I don't think so since it doesn't take into account the int was a pick 6. So we throw 10 times with tow competions and net one score. And both our TDs were on busted coverages. We got lucky IMHO.
I'll take it every day, but those completions should only have been long completions most times.

We need to try out another QB (I don't care who), to see if they can pass accurately and play the TO (e.g. pitch) better. I know most will disagree, but remember how JT was irreplaceable? Or TW? The QB position needs more rotation (again IMHO) to find out who is a gamer AND to get that person ready to play when they are needed full time. **** happens and our QB is likely to go down in crunch time.

Anyone who thinks our passing game is solid ignores the fact that it took 32 minutes of gameplay to get our first completion...and that we only got 2 for an entire game of football. The fluky stuff is fun the 25% of the time it worked yesterday but not terribly repeatable. Oh well - IIWII.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

By the stats, the VT game was his second best passing game. But I don't think so since it doesn't take into account the int was a pick 6. So we throw 10 times with tow competions and net one score. And both our TDs were on busted coverages. We got lucky IMHO. I'll take it every day, but those completions should only have been long completions most times.

I agree with you. But I think CPJ has proven he NEVER changes QBs (barring injury).

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with you. But I think CPJ has proven he NEVER changes QBs (barring injury).

Pretty sure Tevin wasn't happy when PJ put Vad in for spells, with Tevin saying that it "threw his game off".

Pretty sure Vad wasn't thrilled when Justin got reps in various games.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

I don't know who's on the bench for Johnson -- obviously he doesn't like the kid who was slotted to start -- and I thought Marshall was better Saturday (it actually looked like option football there) he has a way to go, maybe a long way. Which is to say that Navy, with an ineffective QB, in one week moved an Aback to QB, practiced with him for the week, beat SMU, and he ran for almost 300 yards. What was interesting to me was that the coach-whose-name-I-can't-pronounce said he was the best athlete and wasn't getting many carries, and so .... Really?

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
But we ain't gotta.

I’m not sure if it was at the end of the half or end of the game (I think this), PJ himself said STTE of “we needed to hit that pass because we couldn’t run the ball.”

You’re right though, we don’t gotta. We could run it every play and lose. We do gotta sometimes if we want to win though.

why after dodging a horrendous start with a wide open, 80-yard miss, VT started cheating up again.

Another reason we “gotta” throw the ball. When the other team is selling out to stop the run, we “gotta” throw the ball effectively to keep them honest. Bud Foster bet that we couldn’t beat them through the air and sold out to stop the run. He was one pass away from being right. Good thing for us Marshall made a huge gut check throw to drive the nail in the coffin.

And of course no d coordinator is going let a WR run free to the goal line intentionally. Same could be said about a d coordinator not intentionally leaving a gaping whole up the middle with nobody on the backend to tackle the RB allowing him to walk into the end zone. PJ saw the safeties cheating closer to the LOS and ran a series of plays to set them up. That’s what good coaches do. We executed a quarter of the time. If we hit 50% we blow them out.

Do you realize how awful our offense would be if there was not threat to pass? In summation, there are definitely times when we “gotta” throw the ball if we want a chance to win.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I don't know who's on the bench for Johnson -- obviously he doesn't like the kid who was slotted to start -- and I thought Marshall was better Saturday (it actually looked like option football there) he has a way to go, maybe a long way. Which is to say that Navy, with an ineffective QB, in one week moved an Aback to QB, practiced with him for the week, beat SMU, and he ran for almost 300 yards. What was interesting to me was that the coach-whose-name-I-can't-pronounce said he was the best athlete and wasn't getting many carries, and so .... Really?
I thought GT's offense on Saturday looked like pure Veer like Houston ran from 1967-1985,UGAG ran from 1973-1979 and South Carolina ran from 1983-1986.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I’m not sure if it was at the end of the half or end of the game (I think this), PJ himself said STTE of “we needed to hit that pass because we couldn’t run the ball.”

You’re right though, we don’t gotta. We could run it every play and lose. We do gotta sometimes if we want to win though.

Another reason we “gotta” throw the ball. When the other team is selling out to stop the run, we “gotta” throw the ball effectively to keep them honest. Bud Foster bet that we couldn’t beat them through the air and sold out to stop the run. He was one pass away from being right. Good thing for us Marshall made a huge gut check throw to drive the nail in the coffin.

And of course no d coordinator is going let a WR run free to the goal line intentionally. Same could be said about a d coordinator not intentionally leaving a gaping whole up the middle with nobody on the backend to tackle the RB allowing him to walk into the end zone. PJ saw the safeties cheating closer to the LOS and ran a series of plays to set them up. That’s what good coaches do. We executed a quarter of the time. If we hit 50% we blow them out.

Do you realize how awful our offense would be if there was not threat to pass? In summation, there are definitely times when we “gotta” throw the ball if we want a chance to win.
I am not anti-pass. I was a slinger in HS and it was fun. It's just that too often we answer every problem with "We have to pass more." Mostly there are just a lot of things we need to do better, not more.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I am not anti-pass. I was a slinger in HS and it was fun. It's just that too often we answer every problem with "We have to pass more." Mostly there are just a lot of things we need to do better, not more.

I agree. There are a lot of things we need to do better. I’m also not advocating for us to start throwing it 30 times a game. My point is that we have to have some sort of balance and our passing game has to be at least a threat.

As for our run game, I think it would be greatly improved if Marshall would attack the pitch read and make him commit. Again, I’m no expert, but I feel like the pitch read has been able to play both him and the aback too many times this year. Like you said, a lot of things we can do better.

Here’s to us having our best all around game the weekend after Thanksgiving.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
What percentage of offensive plays did coach say was a good mix?
I thought it was 20% but that could be wrong ?

Last game 62 plays 8 pass attempts and 2 completions and one interception. To me with the tackle we were facing AND the 8 -9 man focused on box we need to pass a 4 more times and complete 50%.

What percentage of the triple option worked to the wide side= ALSO very low because they are loading the box. 20% Am I right about that % Coach is calling a lot of plays - counters, jets, etc.

Why could we not give another and preferably TALLER qb a try? The linemen are 6-5 ?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pretty sure Tevin wasn't happy when PJ put Vad in for spells, with Tevin saying that it "threw his game off".

Pretty sure Vad wasn't thrilled when Justin got reps in various games.

I don't have the facts but remember that the backup generally came in for trash time, and then was to run the ball to eat clock. I can't remember at time when the game wasn't decided that the backup didn't come in other than for injury.

As to the QBs not being thrilled. Sometimes there isn't much a of a "game" to throw off. Some days some QBs match-up better than others. Other days it doesn't matter when the DL lives in our backfield. It's a team game.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Last game 62 plays 8 pass attempts and 2 completions and one interception. To me with the tackle we were facing AND the 8 -9 man focused on box we need to pass a 4 more times and complete 50%.

What percentage of the triple option worked to the wide side= ALSO very low because they are loading the box. 20% Am I right about that % Coach is calling a lot of plays - counters, jets, etc.

Why could we not give another and preferably TALLER qb a try? The linemen are 6-5 ?

You are right about the stats of 8 pass attempts. http://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=400937517 But I seem to remember a bunch of possible pass plays where TM had to bail and run for his life.

As to the taller QB; well he has to have accuracy too. But TM's height is something that doesn't help his passing game.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Maybe on e of our backup QBs is a better passer than TM, but they clearly do not run the offense as well, or they would be starting in his place.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If we had completed 50% of our passes Saturday we could have had 14 more points. I highly doubt anybody would be complaining about our passing game then.

If six of the eight passes we threw were on target they would’ve been touchdowns. Our guys were that wide-open. TM had plenty of time, too.

Last edited:

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
As for our run game, I think it would be greatly improved if Marshall would attack the pitch read and make him commit.
I have seen some hesitancy as he approaches a collision. I don't think it is fear of contact, it seems more an inexperience in knowing how-close-is-close-enough type thing. The result is an early toss.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
I have seen some hesitancy as he approaches a collision. I don't think it is fear of contact, it seems more an inexperience in knowing how-close-is-close-enough type thing. The result is an early toss.
I think that's part of the problem. JT understood you have to attack the pitch read and force the issue. He had several pitches where he was letting go as the defender hit him.

Attacking the pitch key and then making the pitch when it's there is definitely an area Taquon can improve on.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I don't have the facts but remember that the backup generally came in for trash time, and then was to run the ball to eat clock. I can't remember at time when the game wasn't decided that the backup didn't come in other than for injury.

As to the QBs not being thrilled. Sometimes there isn't much a of a "game" to throw off. Some days some QBs match-up better than others. Other days it doesn't matter when the DL lives in our backfield. It's a team game.

In 2012, Vad Lee played in several games for significant minutes, and not just in injury/mop up duty. The bowl game against USC is a particular example of successful shared duty. He also replaced TW early in the UNC game as well.

No taller QB who is a passer will want to play in this offense.