Passing game

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow
I wouldn’t gloat about going 2-8 passing in a game. Thankfully the 2 he competed were for 140 yards and 2 tds.

The OP may have overreacted on the first play of the game, but if you think we have a competent passing attack, you’re seeing something different than I am.

One thing that I think would improve our passing attack dramatically would be having our QB throw on time. I don’t think we’ve had one in PJ’s tenure. JT did it occasionally, but not consistently. We always have somebody running free, but it feels like our guys can never get to their back foot in time to get the ball out when it needs to come out. Camp had a walk in td and Juene may have had another (on the PI) if the ball was out on time.

Hopefully Marshall will continue to get better and protection will continue to improve. We are going to have to hit some big pass plays to have a shot against the dwags.

“Hopefully Marshall will get better”....

I love GT Swarm. All of us are six figured college coaches right? Wrong. We are fans. Period (again). We all want the best for GT which are wins. However, realism seems to go out the door when we lose, or when we don’t “perform” to the standard we put forth. TM is technically a first year QB. Can we be honest about something? He threw a pick six and gave VT the lead; two plays later, he threw a perfect 35+ yard pass that eventually became the winning pass.

My point? Critique all you want. None of us play on the field. Support our guys regardless of if we are 5-4 or 9-0. Drink pessimism with reality and all will be well!

Go Tech!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
We have no passing game because we have a coach who has no clue how to install one. Our routes are straight out of Pop Warner, we can't pass block, our receivers can't beat coverage and we don't have a QB who can throw. I like the option offense, but one would think that after 10 years we could at least recruit some weapons to have a semblance of a passing attack. The fact we don't makes me wonder if CPJ can coach one.
Hmm. CPJ once ran ta very successful run and shoot out of Hawaii as OC. So I am guessing he a) knows how to install one and b) knows how to coach one. Just guessing. His 4-receiver set is an outshoot of the run and shoot.Today's verticals were run and shoot. He is a running football coach. Point I suppose is he doesn't throw it as first choice. Or second. Unless he wants to sneak up on you. First play today for instance. His offense isn't for everybody, so choices must be made.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Why isn’t our QB perfect during his first year as the starter!! Why did he only complete two TD passes for over 100 yards!!

Why isn’t he able to fly and just make defenders miss by using his super powers!!!

I hate watching the team that I purport to be a fan of! The sun is too bright, grass to green and sky too blue!

Am I doing it right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The parking is rotten, traffic is awful, the stadium is too historic, and all those long plays just boring. I think you are being facetious. But on this board one never knows.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn’t gloat about going 2-8 passing in a game. Thankfully the 2 he competed were for 140 yards and 2 tds.

The OP may have overreacted on the first play of the game, but if you think we have a competent passing attack, you’re seeing something different than I am.

One thing that I think would improve our passing attack dramatically would be having our QB throw on time. I don’t think we’ve had one in PJ’s tenure. JT did it occasionally, but not consistently. We always have somebody running free, but it feels like our guys can never get to their back foot in time to get the ball out when it needs to come out. Camp had a walk in td and Juene may have had another (on the PI) if the ball was out on time.

Hopefully Marshall will continue to get better and protection will continue to improve. We are going to have to hit some big pass plays to have a shot against the dwags.
I couldn’t care less about the completion percentage. When we landed our punches, they knocked them down. We averaged almost 18 yards an attempt. If we do that, it makes it tough to stop our offense.

The interception was a disaster, though.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
“Hopefully Marshall will get better”....

I love GT Swarm. All of us are six figured college coaches right? Wrong. We are fans. Period (again). We all want the best for GT which are wins. However, realism seems to go out the door when we lose, or when we don’t “perform” to the standard we put forth. TM is technically a first year QB. Can we be honest about something? He threw a pick six and gave VT the lead; two plays later, he threw a perfect 35+ yard pass that eventually became the winning pass.

My point? Critique all you want. None of us play on the field. Support our guys regardless of if we are 5-4 or 9-0. Drink pessimism with reality and all will be well!

Go Tech!

I love GT Swarm as well...Lets just be content with 5-4 and act like we can’t be any better. Unicorns and rainbows. Am I doing this right?

Heaven forbid I want to see someone get better. I’m going to go out on a limb and guess you never played any sports at a high level. Ask Marshall if he thinks he needs to get better. I’d bet my “6 figure coaches salary” that he’d tell you he does and our 7 figure head would say the same. I promise you he’s working his tail off to do so.

My critique has nothing to do with my support for our SA’s or GT. I have been a fan since I was 5, wore a GT uniform, and will always support GT. I do love how people like you completely ignore the issues brought up.

Tell me, do you think our QB’s in PJ tenure have done a good job of getting the ball out on time?

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I couldn’t care less about the completion percentage. When we landed our punches, they knocked them down. We averaged almost 18 yards an attempt. If we do that, it makes it tough to stop our offense.

The interception was a disaster, though.

I’m happy with the win and we completed enough to win today. I’m thinking about the dwag game. It’s going to take more than 2 completions to beat them IMO. We can’t miss open WRs in that game.

It’s clear they’re beatable, but I don’t think we’re going to do that by just running the ball. I’d love to be proven wrong. PJ himself said going into halftime we had to throw because we weren’t able to run the ball. I feel it will
Be the same story against the dwags.

I still think if we could get our qbs to their drop quicker and get the ball out of their hands on time, we would hit way more big plays. I’m not claiming to be expert on our offense. Maybe it’s not possible with the drops we take, especially in PA. I’ve just noticed for a long time that our guys seem to let it go a step or two late which gives DB’s time to recover. Especially on an underthrown ball.

I will say the TD to Juene got out early and was nice. If we can do that more consitantly, we will be very tough to defend. Pass pro was a lot better today as well.

Boss Ross

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m happy with the win and we completed enough to win today. I’m thinking about the dwag game. It’s going to take more than 2 completions to beat them IMO. We can’t miss open WRs in that game.

It’s clear they’re beatable, but I don’t think we’re going to do that by just running the ball. I’d love to be proven wrong. PJ himself said going into halftime we had to throw because we weren’t able to run the ball. I feel it will

I still think if we could get our qbs to their drop quicker and get the ball out of their hands on time, we would hit way more big plays. I’m not claiming to be expert on our offense. Maybe it’s not possible with the drops we take, especially in PA. I’ve just noticed for a long time that our guys seem to let it go a step or two late which gives DB’s time to recover. Especially on an underthrown ball.

I will say the TD to Juene got out early and was nice. If we can do that more consitantly, we will be very tough to defend. Pass pro was a lot better today as well.
Is this Gary Lee or Eddie Lee ? Just wondering . Or Ivery Lee ?

Last edited:

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I love GT Swarm as well...Lets just be content with 5-4 and act like we can’t be any better. Unicorns and rainbows. Am I doing this right?

Heaven forbid I want to see someone get better. I’m going to go out on a limb and guess you never played any sports at a high level. Ask Marshall if he thinks he needs to get better. I’d bet my “6 figure coaches salary” that he’d tell you he does and our 7 figure head would say the same. I promise you he’s working his tail off to do so.

My critique has nothing to do with my support for our SA’s or GT. I have been a fan since I was 5, wore a GT uniform, and will always support GT. I do love how people like you completely ignore the issues brought up.

Tell me, do you think our QB’s in PJ tenure have done a good job of getting the ball out on time?
On which pass?

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck

Tech beat georgie in 2008 and only completed one pass for 19 yds to Thomas

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Tech beat georgie in 2008 and only completed one pass for 19 yds to Thomas

We also had the best RB PJ has had in his time at GT by a long shot, a guaranteed 4th and 2 or less converter playing QB, at least 2 NFL olineman, and it was the first year they had to defend this offense. A lot has changed since then.

Our offense has had a hard time sustaining drives that end in TDs this year. We’ve hit plenty of homeruns on the ground and I hope we do that against the dwags as well. I just think it’s more likely that we will need to hit some passes to keep their D honest. That’s my opinion and you don’t have to agree. I honestly don’t care if we have negative 10 yards of offense if we win.

Let’s hope for a cold/rainless noon game where we control the ball and keep their O on the sidelines next to the heaters. That’s our best bet IMO. Still think we will need to hit a few passes in that scenario to keep their safeties honest.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
We also had the best RB PJ has had in his time at GT by a long shot, a guaranteed 4th and 2 or less converter playing QB, at least 2 NFL olineman, and it was the first year they had to defend this offense. A lot has changed since then.

Our offense has had a hard time sustaining drives that end in TDs this year. We’ve hit plenty of homeruns on the ground and I hope we do that against the dwags as well. I just think it’s more likely that we will need to hit some passes to keep their D honest. That’s my opinion and you don’t have to agree. I honestly don’t care if we have negative 10 yards of offense if we win.

Let’s hope for a cold/rainless noon game where we control the ball and keep their O on the sidelines next to the heaters. That’s our best bet IMO. Still think we will need to hit a few passes in that scenario to keep their safeties honest.
Actually, we don't. We have to show them we can. No DC is going to let a WR run free to the goal line because "they'll never complete it." If you are seeking druthers, then I'm all in. But we ain't gotta. VT, I think, is the exception that proves the rule. I am waiting for somebody to ask Johnson, or for a football guy on the board, to tell us why after dodging a horrendous start with a wide open, 80-yard miss, VT started cheating up again. Or were they? Somebody speak up.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This should have been a blow out.

TM is struggling with the deep ball. Yes, he connected twice, but he missed 4 open receivers for touchdowns:

Jeune: first play of the game (over thrown)
Jeune: on the pi call (Under thrown)
Stewart: very next play (under thrown)
Camp: right before half (under thrown)

Then the pick 6.

At least he was money for two of them.