Parker Braun transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I'm not saying they were not. My argument was EVERYONE had the same concerns but Dodd chose not to work within the system and was arrogant enough to think GT could dictate rules. That goes to my comment on "reading the room". The rules that Dodd fought for were inevitable since every school not named Alabama wanted them. GT didn't make many friends with our arrogance (as we saw in later years when the SEC voted TWICE to not let us back in), so it's probably not surprising the rest of the SEC was happy to see us leave.

You can say hindsight is 20/20, but look at it from the outside:

1. GT was one of the best programs in the SEC at the time.
2. GT played in probably the best stadium in the largest SEC market.
3. GT was a prestigious program on the NATIONAL level at the time.
4. GT was still winning at a VERY good clip the 10 years before we left ( https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/georgia-tech/index.html )
5. GT was one of the most profitable programs in the nation, not just the SEC.

So tell me, what exactly did we cut our own noses off for? Why was it so important to leave because we lost a vote and couldn't work inside the system?

The bigger question is, what exactly did Dodd and GT "win" by leaving the SEC? Where's our moral championship trophy? I certainly don't see it hung up with our championship banners at BDS.

From a moral standpoint, Dodd was every bit in the right to feel what he felt. From a business standpoint, Dodd was every bit wrong in making the decision he did. I'm not sure why there's any argument there...all you have to do is to look at how GT was easily an elite NATIONAL program at the time, and we almost had to give up big time football two decades later.

It's even more insane given the fact that Dodd would have gotten EXACTLY what he wanted had he waited just a few years. I mean, it boggles my mind that Dodd's decision is even defensible from a business standpoint.
I didn't know Dodd personally, only through the eyes of several players I knew. He was not the man you are trying to depict on here. You can believe me or not, I really don't give a phlying phuck. [emoji3]

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
For the record, Tech's glory years under Dodd were prior to the 1957 season. From 1957 through 1966, when Dodd retired, his record was 64-36-5. He was 9-2 his last year. Prior to that, his best season the preceding 9 years was 7-3. During my four years at Tech (58-61 seasons) we were 5-4-1, 6-5, 5-5 and 7-4.
When we left the SEC, part of Dodd's reasoning was that the big state universities which made up the core of the SEC had recruiting and funding advantages the Tech was finding increasingly difficult to compete with. Nevertheless, when Tech left, some of the thinking was that we could make significantly more money outside the SEC by not having to split TV and bowl money equally with other SEC members. Didn't turn out that way.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I didn't know Dodd personally, only through the eyes of several players I knew. He was not the man you are trying to depict on here. You can believe me or not, I really don't give a phlying phuck. [emoji3]

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

What am I trying to depict? Dodd had very high moral standards. In any world in this universe that's a great character to have, and from a personal standpoint many can learn a LOT from how Dodd carried himself. Dodd's standards still echoes throughout our football program today, and it's the cornerstone of TStan's "Everyday Champions" campaign.

Unfortunately, trying to impose your high moral standards on others in the business world usually means sacrifices. GT sacrificed a LOT because of it.

I'm sorry you can't separate the coach from the decision and you're taking it personally. You obviously give a "phuck" because who in world uses that phrase unless they do. :)

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I liked this and agree with points you make. Well stated .
There must be another point that Dodd was aware of that s not being considered.

The only other point that Dodd may have (incorrectly by the way) considered in his decision was:

He saw Notre Dame's success as an independent, and at the time, GT was huge in the south for football, with many radio stations around the south carrying the games. I believe he thought we could become the "golden domers" of the South. He did not foresee the benefit of the southeastern conference. He did not foresee other cultural changes, in my opinion, that would change the landscape forever, including the aforementioned NFL rise of importance.

With that said, Dodd is GT royalty, and I appreciate his integrity and his commitment to GT.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
For the record, Tech's glory years under Dodd were prior to the 1957 season. From 1957 through 1966, when Dodd retired, his record was 64-36-5. He was 9-2 his last year. Prior to that, his best season the preceding 9 years was 7-3. During my four years at Tech (58-61 seasons) we were 5-4-1, 6-5, 5-5 and 7-4.
When we left the SEC, part of Dodd's reasoning was that the big state universities which made up the core of the SEC had recruiting and funding advantages the Tech was finding increasingly difficult to compete with. Nevertheless, when Tech left, some of the thinking was that we could make significantly more money outside the SEC by not having to split TV and bowl money equally with other SEC members. Didn't turn out that way.

And in '66, Tech did go 9-2 but Dodd said he was prouder of that team than any other he had because of the extent to which they overachieved.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
From 5 star and strong 4 star standpoint A strong florida weakens the power acc teams we play (clem, fsu, Miami??) .

If we have to say good by to pb , I hope Fla whips the crax out of fsu -= fire the coach!

Milwaukee

Banned
I think he wants to experience what little brother wants. 80,000 screaming fans in a fun place to play. Otherwise he probably wouldn’t be looking so hard at UT and OH St.

Agreed. That and his academic situation. And we shouldn't fault him for that. It's not his fault our overall gameday atmosphere has turned into a joke. $215 season tickets and we still don't have enough fans to fill the stadium and support the team. It's one of the worst tragedies in D1 imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.