Pack Out Bobby Dodd

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
Just need them to figure out how to be college basketball fans :cry:

On the real though, our student section is one of the best in college football if we're measuring by engagement/noise/staying til the end. The main issue people bring up is the south endzone but that really has more to do with GTAA offering too much supply for our student body population. The general need to downsize Bobby Dodd is a tired discussion on here though. Maybe I'm off here but I don't think anybody is sitting in those seats, student or not. It's a terrible spot to watch a game from - too low/shallow, bad scenery skyline-speaking, no jumbotron, horrible concessions, etc.
GT has more student seats than UGA for a less successful team, smaller student body, and less pervasive football culture.

I wish they'd open up a piece of the North end zone to recent alums. I get there's the need to keep it orderly but I would much rather stand and yell with other 20s-year-olds than be lost in the clouds in the upper north or get told to sit down in the lower West.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
GT has more student seats than UGA for a less successful team, smaller student body, and less pervasive football culture.

I wish they'd open up a piece of the North end zone to recent alums. I get there's the need to keep it orderly but I would much rather stand and yell with other 20s-year-olds than be lost in the clouds in the upper north or get told to sit down in the lower West.
I don’t know if it’s always been this way but I think they just started selling 112 to the general public. When I had young alumni season tickets my first year after graduating, they were in 121 but I think I only got back to Atlanta for 1 game and I can’t remember the vibe of the section.

ME22

Georgia Tech Fan

A young alum section would be awesome

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
A young alum section would be awesome
They do have young alumni season tickets in 121 as @AUFC said but I’m talking something more single-game, general admission-style for an average GT fan. My friends can only make it to 1 or 2 games a year together for example. Would be nice to sit in a packed and loud student-style section instead of the UN.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Just need them to figure out how to be college basketball fans :cry:

On the real though, our student section is one of the best in college football if we're measuring by engagement/noise/staying til the end. The main issue people bring up is the south endzone but that really has more to do with GTAA offering too much supply for our student body population. The general need to downsize Bobby Dodd is a tired discussion on here though. Maybe I'm off here but I don't think anybody is sitting in those seats, student or not. It's a terrible spot to watch a game from - too low/shallow, bad scenery skyline-speaking, no jumbotron, horrible concessions, etc.
Never thought about south end zone seats before. Those truly sound like horrible seats.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Student section has historically been slow to the stadium. Most of the block seating when I was there were Greek and they were notorious for waiting until the last minute to get to the stadium. The section was always packed during the game, but many missed the running from the tunnel.
When I was in school, that was an issue as well, but they changed how priority for blocks was determined for the following season based on attendance percentage and (I think) when people were showing up. I don't know if that's still the case or not.

There were also a number of games I remember as a student where there were issues at the gate with scanning people in, leaving large crowds of students waiting outside the gate a lot longer than it should have taken to get in.

And of course, most of the fraternity members are trying to drink as much whiskey clear before the game as possible...

Woodstock23

Georgia Tech Fan
From the looks of the available tickets map on ramblinwreck.com I estimate about 3000 seats are available.
Stubhub has 357 listed.
Looks like it might be a pretty good crowd.
Wish we could go ahead and sell it out.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
From the looks of the available tickets map on ramblinwreck.com I estimate about 3000 seats are available.
Stubhub has 357 listed.
If so, that’s good. This is two Atlanta teams. GSU has a huge alumni base in town. We should expect a sellout.

Secret_AznMan

Georgia Tech Fan
If so, that’s good. This is two Atlanta teams. GSU has a huge alumni base in town. We should expect a sellout.
Stubhub has 357 listed.
They sell the closer rows before the ones further back, and don't mark the highest rows as available unless they manage to sell the lower ones at the same price level.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer

With all do respect, if someone tells me to sit down at a football game, security may be taking me out of BDS. First of all, we’re at a f**king football game. Secondly, I’m a grown man, don’t let that little degree get to your head old man.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Word on the street is the free student ticket allotment is already sold out. Tickets opened at 10am, sold out by 10:20am
Going to make a thread on /r/gatech after work for alumni to offer ticket donations to students and kick it off with 4 free tickets. @devcon I have one of the 4 earmarked for you if your masters student athletic fee situation didn't get worked out in time - DM me. @crayfish895 - same offer to you (not sure if you bought block tickets or not)

Last edited:

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
Many GT Alumni move away from Atlanta, and then GT isn't picking up sidewalk fans with georgia winning titles.
this. However when Tech is good, many GT fans who have left the area will travel to Atlanta to see games, this is why we had good attendance during the 2000's and 2010's.

devcon

Georgia Tech Fan
Going to make a thread on /r/gatech after work for alumni to offer ticket donations to students and kick it off with 4 free tickets. @devcon I have one of the 4 earmarked for you if your masters student athletic fee situation didn't get worked out in time - DM me. @crayfish895 - same offer to you (not sure if you bought block tickets or not)
Luckily after a lot of calling and emailing I got it figured out, and managed to get the correct block assignment too!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Student section has historically been slow to the stadium. Most of the block seating when I was there were Greek and they were notorious for waiting until the last minute to get to the stadium. The section was always packed during the game, but many missed the running from the tunnel.
Do we not have the "rat" section anymore? Too demeaning i guess. BDS was close to full when I was a freshman and my freshman class was around 2500. We sat in some crummy bleachers in the east sun. Could hardly see the teams on the field and it was HOT. GameDay Saturday is part of the college experience IMO. The library was deserted during the game.